Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2020 XC60 Inscription, 2020 XC90 Inscription, 2005 V50
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what I have read is that owners who are installing OTA updates themselves (mostly successfully) are doing so in 15-30 minutes, or longer or (overnight)….Is that correct? It seems that Volvo’s OTA learning curve is still climbing and I wonder about the advantages of having my dealership do the updates. Assuming that my Vermont dealership (Almartin Motors) is not overwhelmed with problem EV’s, it seem like a prudent thing to do if one has the time…owner and dealer. Would the dealer charge to do the update or does it fall under warranty?
Thanks, Bill

PS….my xc40 recharge is scheduled in an April delivery,
so hopefully there will be 5 more updates to squash the bugs!! For the record our family has bought over 20 Volvo’s over the past 24 years from Almartin Motors. The only real problems were the persistent Check Engine lights, back in the 90’s when it was a mechanical system. Also, while Almartin Motors is the only Volvo dealership in Vermont, they have been providing excellent regional service for decades and I’m sure that they will continue their excellence with EV’s.
thanks……

· Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
1,198 Posts
Would the dealer charge to do the update or does it fall under warranty?
Dealer is not reimbursed by Volvo for performing "normal" software updates - only if update is required to fix some other warranty issue.

· Registered
876 Posts
IMO no need to bring to the dealer unless something went wrong.
My rule of thumb is to have the updates to be on auto download and wait for a couple of weeks before installing it.
The installation process is very easy, usually done at the end of the day while parked in the garage and usually takes between 15 mins to 45 mins depending on how large it is.

· Registered
456 Posts
No reason to go into the dealer for the updates. I've had it done both ways, OTA and in shop. The only time I've had it done in shop is when I was there for something else... I say as I'm sitting there now for the accelerator pedal recall and drain tube extension, will see if it comes out with 2.5 or not (am on 2.3 OTA right now).

Reactions: bostonfan49

· Registered
2020 XC60 Inscription, 2020 XC90 Inscription, 2005 V50
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! Did your Recharge come with 19” wheels? Mine will be 20” and I am hoping I can do a swap with someone who has or is getting 19”…
thank, Bill

· Registered
2022 XC40 Ultimate, Sage Green
320 Posts
So what I have read is that owners who are installing OTA updates themselves (mostly successfully) are doing so in 15-30 minutes, or longer or (overnight)….Is that correct? It seems that Volvo’s OTA learning curve is still climbing and I wonder about the advantages of having my dealership do the updates. Assuming that my Vermont dealership (Almartin Motors) is not overwhelmed with problem EV’s, it seem like a prudent thing to do if one has the time…owner and dealer. Would the dealer charge to do the update or does it fall under warranty?
Thanks, Bill

PS….my xc40 recharge is scheduled in an April delivery,
so hopefully there will be 5 more updates to squash the bugs!! For the record our family has bought over 20 Volvo’s over the past 24 years from Almartin Motors. The only real problems were the persistent Check Engine lights, back in the 90’s when it was a mechanical system. Also, while Almartin Motors is the only Volvo dealership in Vermont, they have been providing excellent regional service for decades and I’m sure that they will continue their excellence with EV’s.
thanks……
I think you’ll find with a late 2023 model that the bugs have been squashed. Hopefully by then you will get Pixel lights if you ordered them, and they with luck will have been activated. The updates are pretty routine both at home and at the dealership. Most of the issues people had were with earlier models, such as the TCAM (Telematics) control module being a bit hit or miss. My late 2022 has been quite well behaved and with 19” Pirelli snow tires, seems quite predictable in the white stuff.

· Registered
456 Posts
Dealer update is no guarantee it won’t brick. Had my second XC40 in today for the recall, and asked them to check for any error codes since I’ve had a few “propulsion service” pop ups over the past few months. They decided to software update, and it crashed…. keeping it overnight since they have to disconnect the battery for two hours or so before they can re-flash the computer. So, issues can happen either method.

Reactions: bostonfan49

· Registered
3 Posts
Took my 2023 xc40 into the dealer for 2.5 update because Volvo sent me an email instructing me to do so. i was told the initial install crashed but they did a second total install (took 1 1/2 hours). And that did it. Brought it home and it’s been running fine for the past two days.

· Registered
21 Posts
Thanks! Did your Recharge come with 19” wheels? Mine will be 20” and I am hoping I can do a swap with someone who has or is getting 19”… thank, Bill
Hi bostonfan49, I wanted the 20" wheels when I ordered my vehicle. I've never had a moment of regret or concern in 10K+ miles. They're gorgeous, look nice in the wheel wells, and as far as I'm concerned, the ride is smooth, quiet, and comfortable in all weather (Pirelli Scorpion tires) - better, in fact, than my previous BMW X3 .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts