Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge P8
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received a software update from the dealer on June 29. This update was intended to accomplish 2 things - - ONE: set up the car to PAIR up with the new VOLVO CARS App on my phone - - TWO: program the ORANGE key to allow it to have a connected Driver Profile. here is how it went.
1. Pairing with the new VOLVO CARS App FAILED. Part of the pairing process is the car searching for 3 KEYS in the car, & as mentioned in a previous post, the dealer gave us TWO keys only - - KEY 2 (Black) & KEY 3 (Orange). The dealer denies that they have KEY 1 (Owners Key) & cannot / will not / give it to me. The car easily finds KEY 2 & KEY 3, & because it cannot find KEY 1 the pairing process FAILS. Many emails now with VOLVO CANADA and VOLVO USA - - solution soon ???
2. The ORANGE key is now connected to a Driver Profile & my wife is pleased about that, as we each now have a Profile. Mine is connected to KEY 2 (Black) & hers is connected to KEY 3 (Orange). All good ...
A new wrinkle with the software update is the CHARGING screen in SETTINGS, where you can now set the maximum charge you want & the AMPERAGE for charging. The screen recommends that you set max charge at 90% - to preserve battery life. It seemed odd that yesterday's charging cycle was going very slow, so I eventually found this new charging screen & set the AMPS to 20, to match the circuit on my Chargepoint home charger. After restarting, the charge rate was much faster. I suppose that I will need to learn what settings I should use at a Public Fast Charging station. I need to find out what AMPS to set the car at for fast charging & probably set the maximum charge to 80 % (???) So many changes with this car - with no help from the dealer - frustrating ...

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
141 Posts
Received a software update from the dealer on June 29. This update was intended to accomplish 2 things - - ONE: set up the car to PAIR up with the new VOLVO CARS App on my phone - - TWO: program the ORANGE key to allow it to have a connected Driver Profile. here is how it went.
1. Pairing with the new VOLVO CARS App FAILED. Part of the pairing process is the car searching for 3 KEYS in the car, & as mentioned in a previous post, the dealer gave us TWO keys only - - KEY 2 (Black) & KEY 3 (Orange). The dealer denies that they have KEY 1 (Owners Key) & cannot / will not / give it to me. The car easily finds KEY 2 & KEY 3, & because it cannot find KEY 1 the pairing process FAILS. Many emails now with VOLVO CANADA and VOLVO USA - - solution soon ???
2. The ORANGE key is now connected to a Driver Profile & my wife is pleased about that, as we each now have a Profile. Mine is connected to KEY 2 (Black) & hers is connected to KEY 3 (Orange). All good ...
A new wrinkle with the software update is the CHARGING screen in SETTINGS, where you can now set the maximum charge you want & the AMPERAGE for charging. The screen recommends that you set max charge at 90% - to preserve battery life. It seemed odd that yesterday's charging cycle was going very slow, so I eventually found this new charging screen & set the AMPS to 20, to match the circuit on my Chargepoint home charger. After restarting, the charge rate was much faster. I suppose that I will need to learn what settings I should use at a Public Fast Charging station. I need to find out what AMPS to set the car at for fast charging & probably set the maximum charge to 80 % (???) So many changes with this car - with no help from the dealer - frustrating ...
I also received a black key plus the orange key in a fancy black Volvo box and under the orange key was a black plastic chip( sport key you can take swimming) which is the 3rd key and we also could not get it recognized so dealer removed it and paired just the 2 keys and requested new sport key from Volvo.
Regarding public charging it is automatic there is no max amp to set and XC40 can charge up to 150KWH, do not mistake this number with the kmh just above like I did yesterday when I saw 255kmh. Volvo now recommends you set max charge to 90% to make use of the precooling or preheating of the battery which only works if set at or above 90%.
Hope this helps and I am also a newby having got my car on Monday.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I received black and orange key and VOC would say it needs 3 keys. Volvo comped me the 3rd key and the VOC now says all 4 keys need to be in the car. Car is at dealer for next few days to fix a bad drivers door handle, the phantom key the car thinks it has, the new software update. I would check your keys as well, they all should have a mechanical key inside the fob, but my P8 and her T5 were missing the mechanical key in the black key.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue
256 Posts
I don't have a mechanical key in the orange fob, but I figured that was intentional since it's meant to be a valet key or "let your 16 year old go get groceries at 25mph max" key.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Oddly both my P8 and her T5 had mechanical in the orange and nothing in the black fobs. Since we don't; use the orang fobs we just moved the mechanical key. Did even know there was one in there until I read up on how to change the battery.

·
Registered
83 Posts
One black key and the orange key had the metal blades in them. When I discovered that one of the keys was missing the blade, the dealer ordered one, covered under warranty. I now have blades in all three keys.

Volvo must really be screwing up. I would not want a key without the blade, as it is intended to get you into the vehicle when the remote battery dies. Once in the vehicle you can place the "dead" remote on the key "pad" in the console behind the trash bin to have the car recognize it and let you drive the car.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Then people want to know why I a, so frustrated with my car and Volvo. Volvo can’t even deliver keys consistently, and then all the other quirks and issues. I have never dealt with a car company this screwed up.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Where did you get the two goals of the update from? Was this a Volvo corporate statement. Salesperson or other?

Curious. Would be delightful if voc was actually meant to work now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I also received a black key plus the orange key in a fancy black Volvo box and under the orange key was a black plastic chip( sport key you can take swimming) which is the 3rd key and we also could not get it recognized so dealer removed it and paired just the 2 keys and requested new sport key from Volvo.
Regarding public charging it is automatic there is no max amp to set and XC40 can charge up to 150KWH, do not mistake this number with the kmh just above like I did yesterday when I saw 255kmh. Volvo now recommends you set max charge to 90% to make use of the precooling or preheating of the battery which only works if set at or above 90%.
Hope this helps and I am also a newby having got my car on Monday.
Interesting. I got 3 keys (2 black, 1 orange) from Surrey dealership in BC, Canada

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge P8
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where did you get the two goals of the update from? Was this a Volvo corporate statement. Salesperson or other?

Curious. Would be delightful if voc was actually meant to work now.
The 2 goals were from the service department, as they wanted to address complaints that I had made over & over. They said the software update would "fix" these 2 of my complaints. The dealer has now agreed to set me up with KEY 1 & walk through the pairing of the VOLVO CARS App with me & my phone. It's booked for July 7, & they said that I can keep KEY 1 - Owners Key ... finally !!!

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge P8
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting. I got 3 keys (2 black, 1 orange) from Surrey dealership in BC, Canada
Were those 3 keys for an XC40 RECHARGE ?? Our 2019 XC40 came with 2 Black & 1 Red key, but that had a gasoline engine. All purchased at the Surrey dealership.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
The 2 goals were from the service department, as they wanted to address complaints that I had made over & over. They said the software update would "fix" these 2 of my complaints. The dealer has now agreed to set me up with KEY 1 & walk through the pairing of the VOLVO CARS App with me & my phone. It's booked for July 7, & they said that I can keep KEY 1 - Owners Key ... finally !!!
That’s what I thought, that it was from service not from Volvo/reality. I pretty sure this update is not meant to solve voc and I thought the orange key always worked.

VoC is not meant to be working yet. All you are doing is using dealer/service time on a problem that works for some and not for others and that is just the way it is for now. Alas your dealer is not knowledgeable enough to know that it is not fixable yet.

That said it works for some so maybe when they roll the dice enough times it comes up with a win for you :) but I would not waste my time trying until Volvo announces it works.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I need to find out what AMPS to set the car at for fast charging ..
As others have mentioned, the car's amp setting doesn't affect DC fast charging (50kW and up). I'd leave the charging max amp setting at its maximum value (48) unless your home charger happens to be connected to a 14-50 outlet which has a 40-amp circuit breaker, AND you are using Volvo's mobile charging cable OR for some reason your home charger was configured for a 50-amp breaker by mistake [EDIT: when actually connected to a 40-amp breaker]. That way, you'll get the fastest charging possible on J1772 plug public chargers.

·
Registered
83 Posts
As others have mentioned, the car's amp setting doesn't affect DC fast charging (50kW and up). I'd leave the charging max amp setting at its maximum value (48) unless your home charger happens to be connected to a 14-50 outlet which has a 40-amp circuit breaker, AND you are using Volvo's mobile charging cable OR for some reason your home charger was configured for a 50-amp breaker by mistake. That way, you'll get the fastest charging possible on J1772 plug public chargers.
The Chargepoint charger can be connected to a 50 amp circuit and outputs 40 amps. The car can be set to 48 amps in this scenario. That's how mine is set up, using a 14-50 outlet, and it works just fine.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The Chargepoint charger can be connected to a 50 amp circuit and outputs 40 amps. The car can be set to 48 amps in this scenario. That's how mine is set up, using a 14-50 outlet, and it works just fine.
My chargepoint is on a 50amp breaker and will pump out 48 amps if set, I reduced it to 40 to reduce the load since it’s continuous current. You really don’t want to push it to the limit for continuous loads on 50 amp rated wires, especially if you’re just charging overnight.

I got the latest update at the dealership but VOC still doesn’t work. I was able to pair successfully with my phone and use all 3 keys but i still get — for SOC even four days after the update. Still ways to go.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Right, I should have said more clearly, "OR for some reason your home charger was configured for a 50-amp breaker but it is actually on a 40-amp breaker". NEMA 14-50 and 6-50 outlets are legal using either a 40-amp breaker or a 50-amp breaker, as there is no 40-amp standard outlet in the US.

·
Registered
270 Posts
US circuit breakers, most fuses, and outlets are designed to carry 80% of their rated current continuously. A 50-amp outlet using a 40-amp breaker should carry no more than 32 amps for charging purposes, so that's what the charging equipment should be set to.

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
86 Posts
Then people want to know why I a, so frustrated with my car and Volvo. Volvo can’t even deliver keys consistently, and then all the other quirks and issues. I have never dealt with a car company this screwed up.
Our new car was acquired by my dealer from another dealer. I guess no one is really checking on pick up and delivery. They had mine for 2 days before delivery don a Saturday only to be told when I arrived they realized it needed 3 keys to program. Other dealer overnighted my 3rd key on Tuesday. We took our new car for a ride 4 days after ownership and the dreaded Infotainment screen reboot started about 20 minutes into the drive. Dropped the car off at the dealership after 15 reboots. Got home and there was the 3rd key. HA HA HA. Not sure when we will get our 4 day old car back. IHU on order and we will have to sit an reprogram EVErYTHING when it arrives and we get the car.:mad:

·
Registered
76 Posts
US circuit breakers, most fuses, and outlets are designed to carry 80% of their rated current continuously. A 50-amp outlet using a 40-amp breaker should carry no more than 32 amps for charging purposes, so that's what the charging equipment should be set to.
Don’t forget the wires running inside your walls, probably the most dangerous part of the system to overheat. We had our electrician wires for a 60amp circuit with our 50amp CB just to be safe. Tripping a 50amp circuit is one thing, melting wires inside your house is another.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Most 14-50 will be wired with 6/3 awg gauge wire which is rated to pull 55amps constantly. If you hardware your EVSE with 6/3 you can set the draw to 48amps. If you wire it to a 14-50 outlet you are allowed 40amps. Also if I recall the common 6/3 wire is rated to like 140F if the wires are THNN (individual wires) in conduit then it is usually 167-194F

The next size up is 4 AWG whichwould be a beast to work with. It was hard enough running and bending and working with 6/3, I can’t imagine larger wire to work with.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts