Volvo XC40 Forum banner
81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Easy way to check if Collision Avoidance System is working properly try this. Turn on the cruise control on the steering wheel. If it does not engage you will get a warning "unavailable". If this happens your Collision Avoidance System is not working. Found this out yesterday. Electronics are somewhat quirky...you may not get the warning that the Collision Avoidance system is unavailable but cruise is disabled. Software issue...Good Luck...
Turned on cruise control. It worked but the steering assist (and the icon) did not come on. I had to toggle the steering assist off and on and the cruise control several times for it to work properly. And for good measure, I also toggled off and on the lane keeping aid. At some point during my commute, the collision warning beep and icon appeared on the instrument panel, so now I know my collision avoidance system works.

It has been a weird experience with 2.3. Maybe it's because I also had to factory reset the AAOS after I upgraded to 2.3 that's causing the weirdness. I had to factory reset because I changed from iPhone 12 Pro to iPhone 14 Pro, and for some reason restoring from iCloud backup does not carry over Volvo credentials.

In any case, everything is working now. At least I hope so.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Glad your system is working. I should be so lucky. I tried reboot did not help. Awaiting parts from Sweden for my C40. 2.3 fried some electronics.
We do not know that 2.3 fried your electronics.
It could be that it failed and that 2.3 was not the cause but was coincidental.

We do not know that any electronics were fried. Frying implies an electrical surge or failed grounding etc. an electric devices failing is very differentent than it frying.

Good luck though in getting it replaced and fixed.

·
Registered
2021 XC 40 Recharge Sage Green
155 Posts
We do not know that 2.3 fried your electronics.
It could be that it failed and that 2.3 was not the cause but was coincidental.

We do not know that any electronics were fried. Frying implies an electrical surge or failed grounding etc. an electric devices failing is very differentent than it frying.

Good luck though in getting it replaced and fixed.
Version 2.3 issue popped up today. Car in garage, attached to wall charger. Charger wouldn't release and car wouldn't unlock. Did the magic key in the fob thing and finally got it open. Lots of futzing with alarm going off. Now car won't recognize our key fobs and to get the car going have to put the fob in the console spot. Volvo on call says it a known problem with 2.3 and I need to get it uninstalled at the dealership and 2.2 re-installed. First appointment with dealer is Oct. 27. In the meantime can't lock the car. Aargh! Have a call in to the head of the dealership.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Version 2.3 issue popped up today. Car in garage, attached to wall charger. Charger wouldn't release and car wouldn't unlock. Did the magic key in the fob thing and finally got it open. Lots of futzing with alarm going off. Now car won't recognize our key fobs and to get the car going have to put the fob in the console spot. Volvo on call says it a known problem with 2.3 and I need to get it uninstalled at the dealership and 2.2 re-installed. First appointment with dealer is Oct. 27. In the meantime can't lock the car. Aargh! Have a call in to the head of the dealership.
Sorry to hear that. And this is why I never install updates for a couple of weeks.

Good luck with the fixing. And that is a horribly long wait.

Might I ask when did you get 2.3 installed?

·
Registered
196 Posts
…Volvo on call says it a known problem with 2.3 and I need to get it uninstalled at the dealership and 2.2 re-installed. First appointment with dealer is Oct. 27. In the meantime can't lock the car. Aargh! Have a call in to the head of the dealership.
Disappointing to hear this is a known issue. I can only imagine how many owners have had issues beyond the small sample of owners on this site.

I’ve had positive experiences from all OTA updates but honestly might sit the next one out and wait first. Good luck with getting this corrected.

·
Registered
2021 XC 40 Recharge Sage Green
155 Posts
Sorry to hear that. And this is why I never install updates for a couple of weeks.

Good luck with the fixing. And that is a horribly long wait.

Might I ask when did you get 2.3 installed?
Got it 2-3 weeks ago. Looks like dealer will now expedite things. Last time I do an upgrade right away. I should know better.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Wow I misread your post and thought it was right after the download… I wonder why the latent failure? Not good!
Over time things fail. Alas the software is on top of hardware which has to live in the real world.

It is the failure over time which makes it hard to define if a failure after an upgrade was the upgrade or just rng. Of course the huge cluster of key issues after 2.3 is a give away

·
Registered
2022 C40 Pure Electric Recharge
28 Posts
Yes things fail but hopefully it can be rectified with a proper software fix. I have found that software glitches can lead to hardware failures as in my case. I have faith V2.3 issues will be resolved. Speaking of failure in hardware : tonight the TPMS system exhibited an issue. Unable to reset tire pressure on center console. Showed low pressure on all 4 wheels but pressure is ok on each after checking each tire. Oh well...

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
516 Posts
The door lock issue is not new as it has been around well before v2.3. I had the issue last year after going to v1.8. The 12v & BUB reset procedure is what brings the vehicle back to working order. Apparently, Volvo can't put a finger on what actually causes the issue to happen in the first place.

To lock the car, change the auto locking mode to just the driver side. Then you lock all of the doors manually from the inside except for the driver side door. For that, you'll need to lock it from the outside using the metal key.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge
6 Posts
I had a lot if sluggish performance and app glitches in 2.2 that seem to mostly be resolved in 2.3. I guess I've just been lucky thus far given the issues others are having.

The lack of transparency and inability to rollback updates are what bugs me the most. I also feel that the vehicles should have 3 tiers for upgrade pools. Owners could opt in via the settings in the car to either be in the first wave of updates for the latest improvements, be in the second round after the early adopters have had their fun, or be in the final round after the update has been tested by the first two groups. I would probably be in the first or maybe second group given how antsy I am got that new bug, but many should probably stick there's in that last pool to avoid situations like this.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The 12v & BUB reset procedure is what brings the vehicle back to working order. Apparently, Volvo can't put a finger on what actually causes the issue to happen in the first place. To lock the car, change the auto locking mode to just the driver side. Then you lock all of the doors manually from the inside except for the driver side door. For that, you'll need to lock it from the outside using the metal key.
Thanks for that interesting history of the lock issue and a useful procedure. I am new enough around here (don't have my car yet) and I find the acronyms next to useless a the moment. BUB is backup battery. TCAM is the cell radio. &c.

Sophisticated software has built-in diagnostics. I should think, by now, that BUB failures and voltage drops would be detectable. I should think, by now, the freakin' alarm would be smart enough to recognize a key blade ithat is being used to go around a possible fob failure and would not blow off. That's just stupid. But I'm not a software engineer.

As delivery of the C40 grows closer (still eight-twelve weeks out), I'll be combing this forum and creating a list of weird procedures to circumvent software and hardware failures. Wait, has anyone else done that yet? Would be a grand public service.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
I had a lot if sluggish performance and app glitches in 2.2 that seem to mostly be resolved in 2.3. I guess I've just been lucky thus far given the issues others are having.

The lack of transparency and inability to rollback updates are what bugs me the most. I also feel that the vehicles should have 3 tiers for upgrade pools. Owners could opt in via the settings in the car to either be in the first wave of updates for the latest improvements, be in the second round after the early adopters have had their fun, or be in the final round after the update has been tested by the first two groups. I would probably be in the first or maybe second group given how antsy I am got that new bug, but many should probably stick there's in that last pool to avoid situations like this.
I agree re transparency.

I would say they do have 3 tiers for upgrades.
1. Upgraded at the dealer only. Ota not released yet.
2. Limited ota release based on some random equation. At this point though the informed user (anyone on here) who chooses to get the ota as soon as it is released is in the open(ish) beta release group.
3. Full release to most people (some people are glitched in the system). This is when it is generally proven to be stable.

Sure it’s not an:
Alpha to pre approved non complainy users.
Beta to a bigger select group of users who signed up for it
General release

But it almost works like that.

People get so anxious when a release comes out. They call their dealers and desperately seek ways to get it to arrived which is interesting as it rarely adds anything amazing and could brick your car.

You get to be group 2 by installing it asap. Group 3 just takes waiting.

I do the same with my apple phone and other devices. Wait to see if it’s a dumpster fire. Weigh the bonuses against the negatives.

Other than dealers when your car is in nobody makes us upgrade.

Transparency would be amazing. What are the top 10 companies for having transparency? Does anyone do it well?

Reactions: Ed_S

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am new enough around here (don't have my car yet)

Do not anticipate your worries, remember that most (not all) owners that have problems seek out information on the Internet and finds this forum to get help or complain. Only a few with no issues at all comes to the forum and are active.

I had installed v2.3, no issues so far.

The only problem I had (before v2.3) was with the OBC (onboard charger - to add to the acronym list... lol), and it was replaced by the dealership under warranty, took a while (about 40 days as they didn't had the part here in Brazil), but fixed it.

Good luck with yours!!

Cheers.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Do not anticipate your worries, remember that most (not all) owners that have problems seek out information on the Internet and finds this forum to get help or complain. Only a few with no issues at all comes to the forum and are active.
Heheh. Yes, I get that. I am a heavy participant on a reddit sub for a brand of coffee/espresso systems and the traffic is often pissed off folks who want to know--RIGHT NOW--who is responsible for their machine's failure. We rarely hear from the likely millions of otherwise perfectly satisfied users.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts