Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Thursday I was notified that update 2.3 was available for installation. I declined as we were away on a road trip. After arriving home on Friday and while on charge I attempted to install. It failed. After charging to 90% it still failed. This morning the centre screen was a mess. Only the Bluetooth player was showing. Rebooted via the centre button and went about our business. Arrived back home and went to install the update. Vanished. /Settings/System says we are up to date on System 2.2.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thankfully it wasn't just us loosing the update. It was on the screen earlier in the week and disappeared when I went to update it last night. I was hoping 2.3 would fix the gps as it hasn't worked in a week now. Currently shows the car in the middle of Lake Ontario. This morning the backup camera disappeared. I have reset the center console a few times this week hoping it would restore it.

Broached the subject with my wife about selling the car. She is none too pleased to be thinking of selling her 7mo old car.

·
Registered
2022 C40 Pure Electric Recharge
28 Posts
On Thursday I was notified that update 2.3 was available for installation. I declined as we were away on a road trip. After arriving home on Friday and while on charge I attempted to install. It failed. After charging to 90% it still failed. This morning the centre screen was a mess. Only the Bluetooth player was showing. Rebooted via the centre button and went about our business. Arrived back home and went to install the update. Vanished. /Settings/System says we are up to date on System 2.2.
I also got a notification that 2.3 software update was available. My state of charge was 80% when I attempted the upgrade. Upgrade started and finished but then I was notified that the Collission Avoidance System was unavailable & auto door lock did not work. Tried to reboot but it did not correct the problem. Contacted dealer and they had no idea what to do. Next available service appointment is a week away. Very poor customer service. Meanwhile now I feel the car will become disabled due to this software glitch.
Up until this last update the car has performed flawlessly but now I am concerned..."Did I make a mistake in purchasing this new technology?" $60k and it is screwed up.
I have a 2022 Volvo C40 Recharge pure electric.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Something is wonky about 2.3. I started on 1.6 thirteen months ago. Each update downloaded and installed as intended. I just got in the 2.3 updated car to find it was blowing hot air for the first time. I have read about people having issues with air conditioning, my car did not exhibit any symptoms previously. I posted in the other thread about a few other 2.3 observations, the changed throttle mapping, etc. I see there is a model year distinction within the update. It seems for the 2021 car the throttle is more sensitive right off the middle line. It feels less linear to me. This is the first update which doesn't feel entirely right.
Marotta, I'm sorry to hear yours is acting up. I do think it could be the update and not the car. For you guys still on 2.2, I would be happy sticking with that for now. I've had zero issues with my car since i've had it and have full faith in the little guy. I'm sure if the software is off in some ways they will sort it out. The update schedule does seem ambitious though. I don't know how they can do these every few months. It seems like it would be a huge amount of time and work to understand how these updates perform in all use cases. Just think about how many things can be broken within a simple website, and how long it takes to figure them all out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for your insight. Just tried my air conditioner...it's blowing warm air...not cooling & door locks are not operating had to use key. V2.3 really messed up the car. Hopefully dealer can rectify issues...Again thank you.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Ultimate, Sage Green
231 Posts
Thankfully it wasn't just us loosing the update. It was on the screen earlier in the week and disappeared when I went to update it last night. I was hoping 2.3 would fix the gps as it hasn't worked in a week now. Currently shows the car in the middle of Lake Ontario. This morning the backup camera disappeared. I have reset the center console a few times this week hoping it would restore it.

Broached the subject with my wife about selling the car. She is none too pleased to be thinking of selling her 7mo old car.
Just a thought, but do you think you can replace it with something better? I don’t think there’s a brand that doesn’t have computer issues at some point, including Tesla. If you really want to talk yourself out of the car, best of luck, but be prepared for problems and disappointments with anything else other than a bicycle. I’ve had a few glitches, but so far haven’t needed to get the car into the dealer. I’m sure at some point I will, just as I have with everything I’ve owned in fifty years of driving.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just a thought, but do you think you can replace it with something better? I don’t think there’s a brand that doesn’t have computer issues at some point, including Tesla. If you really want to talk yourself out of the car, best of luck, but be prepared for problems and disappointments with anything else other than a bicycle. I’ve had a few glitches, but so far haven’t needed to get the car into the dealer. I’m sure at some point I will, just as I have with everything I’ve owned in fifty years of driving.
Probably. But I don't need to talk myself out of the car. Its doing it for us. The car is proving itself to be unreliable and Volvo's support has been mediocre. Its frustrating when you get in the car and something different doesn't work or operate as it should. My wife needs something she can rely on to get to the hospital when she is paged.

We shouldn't have to play tech support every week, resetting this system or that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks...I will keep my Volvo. I expect that there will be software hiccups in the future. I love the car. It is really "stupid fast" and very comfortable to drive.
No Tesla for me...had one...fit, finish and component problems. Volvo is far superior in every way.
I have learned 1 thing and that is to wait to install software updates for a while or have it done at dealership.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Ultimate, Sage Green
231 Posts
Probably. But I don't need to talk myself out of the car. Its doing it for us. The car is proving itself to be unreliable and Volvo's support has been mediocre. Its frustrating when you get in the car and something different doesn't work or operate as it should. My wife needs something she can rely on to get to the hospital when she is paged.

We shouldn't have to play tech support every week, resetting this system or that.
I really understand your frustration as someone who had a Land Rover for ten years, but…
You know the car isn’t at the bottom of the lake, and while the service has been mediocre, everyone is still learning and being frustrated at things not working the same way, from EV systems to electronics controls to communications systems. It’s kinda hard to follow the manual for troubleshooting when they’re still writing the manual. Tesla has a head start but they are still having issues with QC, their automated driving and so on after twelve years. VW can’t even distribute software updates in North America after two! Seem to work OK in Europe though. The bottom line to me is does your car get from home to the hospital or not? Skip the bit about having paid so much and expect more, then check out a few other forums on the BMW IX, the Taycan and others in the $100K+ club. Maybe the Koreans have things sorted better, but for my money, I’m happy with how it drives, touch wood, have yet to have a mechanical failure. I hope my blind faith isn’t misplaced, but when all else fails and Google thinks I’m floating across Puget Sound, I can always check my phone. Good luck, whatever you decide, and pack a swimsuit just in case you have to swim to shore;)

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Problems with upgrades is why I generally never upgrade anything to new builds until they have been in the wild for a few weeks.

This is doubly true if the present version I have rubs perfectly and the new release has nothing I really want.

I get confused why people (with fully working cars) get so anxious about getting new software with almost no new features when it is possible that any new upgrade could turn your nice stable system into a mash potato painting done by a 5 year old.

Glad I waited. Wonder if they will re introduce 2.3 or just remove it and the next will be 2.4 as happened with a previous release.

I am glad they are sensitive to peoples problems enough to actually pull builds causing problems.

Good luck to those with new problems form it. How they fix them soon. I wish there was a roll back option on every device I own and especially my car.

Cheers

Reactions: B-mtrd

·
Registered
854 Posts
To me having an update removed is not really a big deal, **** happens all the time in software development. What bothers me is the lack of transparency of Volvo. A quick email explaining why an update was removed and instructions of what to do to those that had it done.

I usually wait for updates before installing them, but this time I did it on the XC40. Crosses fingers and knocks on wood that nothing bad was introduced. Glad I waited to install it on the wife’s car.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
To me having an update removed is not really a big deal, **** happens all the time in software development. What bothers me is the lack of transparency of Volvo. A quick email explaining why an update was removed and instructions of what to do to those that had it done.

I usually wait for updates before installing them, but this time I did it on the XC40. Crosses fingers and knocks on wood that nothing bad was introduced. Glad I waited to install it on the wife’s car.
The lack of transparency drives me up the wall. I like things to be specific and precise. Oh well. I guess I will take works over that :p which it seems you were lucky yours did as they pulled it (it seems).

·
Registered
825 Posts
I waited to install 2.3 as I had to spend a few days away. Returned and found that my car no longer had the update notification showing, and said that 2.2 was the current version with no update available.

·
Registered
'22 XC40 Pure Elec. Ultimate
144 Posts
On Thursday I was notified that update 2.3 was available for installation.
Vanished. /Settings/System says we are up to date on System 2.2.
Oh good - it's not just me. I got a phone app notification yesterday that v2.3 was available, and today I thought would be a good time to install it. Went out to the car and nothing is there. Checking for updates says I'm on the latest at v2.2. So I can +1 your experience, but from the looks of it - I may have dodged a bullet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you get a notice of an available software upgrade V2.3 for yor Volvo...DON'T DO IT...it will turn your XC40 of C40 Volvo Recharge system into a mashed potatoe gumbo.
Thanks for all the help people. This Forum is great.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts