Volvo XC40 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
927 Posts
I'm curious about the Wired decision... was it a Google decision (maybe they support wireless AA but not CarPlay to have a differentiator) or was it hardware based (even though we're pretty sure the more important hardware, i.e. the wifi connection, is there), or something else (and if it's something else, is it possible to eventually get Wireless)?
Not a Google decision - wireless CarPlay is supported on other AAOS implementations that are shipping (or shipping "soon") such as Renault Megane-E, GMC Hummer/Terrain/Sierra, etc. This is something specific to Volvo/Polestar, likely a hardware issue IMHO. Perhaps the TCAM wi-fi implementation is lacking something (not surprising). Or maybe with the Intel Atom chip that runs AAOS on our cars (vs. ARM CPU for many others). I'm still optimistic that our hardware SHOULD be able to eventually support wireless CarPlay - but they just haven't gotten that software finished yet.

·
Registered
927 Posts
especially if they get the front-HUD display map working with CarPlay (no idea if Apple even supports that, though)
Would be nice, but I think unlikely that will ever be supported. CarPlay did add support recently for secondary monitors, but the way the HUD (instrument panel) is implemented on Volvo/Polestar may make this difficult. Our HUD is run by the car's underlying real-time OS, with Android apps (eg Google Maps) having very restricted ability to write data into a specific graphics buffer there.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Would be nice, but I think unlikely that will ever be supported. CarPlay did add support recently for secondary monitors, but the way the HUD (instrument panel) is implemented on Volvo/Polestar may make this difficult. Our HUD is run by the car's underlying real-time OS, with Android apps (eg Google Maps) having very restricted ability to write data into a specific graphics buffer there.
I tend to agree with this. And tho even for my as an example I prefer Waze - I haven't used it since buying my XC40 as it adds all the charge stops and batter expected on arrival and roundtrip, etc.

·
Registered
231 Posts
What is this "HUD" that's being mentioned? The XC40 Recharge and C40 Recharge do not have a heads up display. A HUD displays very limited information on the windshield glass above the steering wheel. My 2020 XC90 had a HUD. Are you instead calling what Volvo refers to as the Driver Information Display, the screen in the dash behind the steering wheel, a "HUD?"

·
Registered
40 Posts
What is this "HUD" that's being mentioned? The XC40 Recharge and C40 Recharge do not have a heads up display. A HUD displays very limited information on the windshield glass above the steering wheel. My 2020 XC90 had a HUD. Are you instead calling what Volvo refers to as the Driver Information Display, the screen in the dash behind the steering wheel, a "HUD?"
HUD = Heads Up Display = the thing in front of you when you're driving that you can see without moving your head. I would think the area behind the steering wheel would qualify as a HUD, at least in the common parlance - this isn't really a technical term as we're not in a fighter jet. But no, not the on-windshield display.

·
Registered
275 Posts
As an old fart, I remember when that area behind the steering wheel was referred to as a gauge cluster. The idea of a HUD is you don't take your eyes off the road. To view that area your eyes are no longer on the road - hence not a HUD. But whatever floats your boat.
I had an HUD recently on a Volvo loaner and was underwhelmed. We are not fighter pilots.

·
Registered
331 Posts
My guess is that wired is an interim solution. They're getting raked over the coals for not delivering on CarPlay, and AAOS is giving them more headaches than they bargained for. So my speculation is that we'll get wired because that's what they can deliver reliably now, and wireless will come later and everyone will be all, gee isn't that special.

Reactions: Cuelaw57

·
Registered
927 Posts
It's officially called the Instrument panel, The original posted called it a HUD, so in my reply I referred to it as "HUD (instrument panel)".

·
Registered
14 Posts
BMW does it on the i4 but only for Apple Maps if I’m not wrong.

·
Registered
14 Posts
BMW does not use AAOS, so not relevant here. Their iDrive OS is their own standalone Linux-based operating system.
What’s relevant here is that other manufacturers are offering turn CarPlay navigation on other screen rather than the central one. And let’s see if Renault AAOS don’t do the same since it supports android auto and CarPlay.

·
Registered
927 Posts
What’s relevant here is that other manufacturers are offering turn CarPlay navigation on other screen rather than the central one. And let’s see if Renault AAOS don’t do the same since it supports android auto and CarPlay.
You're correct that other CarPlay implementations - like BMW's - are using CarPlay's new support for secondary monitors. But it would be more relevant for us if another AAOS implementation of CarPlay (Renault, GM, etc) also used secondary monitor But even then I don't think we should get our hopes up. The way Volvo/Polestar has implemented the "shared graphics buffer" on the Instrument Panel display looks to me more like a one-off hack for Google Maps, rather than a proper secondary monitor. But I hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: houkura

·
Registered
139 Posts
Having CarPlay support on the instrument cluster would be nice, but I just hope Volvo updates it so it has a few more configurations. I'd be happy if it can just display what music I'm currently playing somewhere on the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You're correct that other CarPlay implementations - like BMW's - are using CarPlay's new support for secondary monitors. But it would be more relevant for us if another AAOS implementation of CarPlay (Renault, GM, etc) also used secondary monitor But even then I don't think we should get our hopes up. The way Volvo/Polestar has implemented the "shared graphics buffer" on the Instrument Panel display looks to me more like a one-off hack for Google Maps, rather than a proper secondary monitor. But I hope I'm wrong.
I think you are right of course, I doubt they can go that far on CarPlay implementation. I’m more curious if it can run another gps software on that screen other than google maps, like Waze or tomtom if one day they’re available on google play store.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think you are right of course, I doubt they can go that far on CarPlay implementation. I’m more curious if it can run another gps software on that screen other than google maps, like Waze or tomtom if one day they’re available on google play store.
Sygic has been in AAOS Play store for couple of months now and it doesn't display maps in instrument cluster. It just becomes blank as soon as you open Sygic

21 - 40 of 61 Posts