Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a new XC40 Recharge. Haven’t even driven it 200 miles yet and the thing is falling apart. No GPS, no LTE, no Wifi. And now weird things in the charging screen (it’s stuck on 6 amp and the buttons are grayed out for changing it).

We’ve tried the defroster button technique to reset the modem, but it doesn’t seem to do anything (maybe because we’re on too recent a software version?). We can reset the center screen with the home button but that doesn’t fix anything.

We’ve let it sit overnight. We’ve tried locking it and walking away with all the keys. We’ve tried coaxing and imploring it.

What else can we do, except wait 2 weeks for the first service appointment at the local dealer? Is there a physical box someplace I can unplug and plug back in?

thank you!

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
225 Posts
I can't validate this since I'm on an older version, but I thought that I've heard from someone here with the new software that you need to reset the IHU immediately before resetting the LTE.
  • Press and hold the home button on the center display for 20 seconds. (the IHU will boot and you will see the map on the instrument panel display.)
  • Press and hold the Defrost button for 20 seconds, or until the tiny 'LTE' symbol changes in the upper-left corner of the infotainment screen. (the modem will restart)

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Sorry you are having such bad luck.

I do not have the new software but I thought they removed the defrost reboot and just merged it with the home button reboot.

Another option is a factory reset.

Other than that it sounds like you have done the normal tricks including the all important let it have a nap. These are a) often needed when you first get the car and b) things normally settle down after.

It is possible your car has some corrupt files. I have heard of people who somehow managed to get corrupt data files into the car. How this happens in the modern era I do not know. Been a long time since I saw a corrupt file without the underlying media going toes up but …

Hopefully taking it in will allow them to do a clean re install. The car might still be twitchy until it has had its first nap but then should work.

Have you tried calling around see if anyone else can get you in sooner? Or try being pushy. 2 weeks is a bit of a crappy wait

good luck let us know what happens

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yeah we’ve tried all the button press combos, reset to factory, done the magical dances and incantations.

This is like a radio shack hobbyist kit. Volvo should be ashamed to have this out in the wild.

Reactions: TS1

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Not the car it’s the software layer on top. The car is awesome and for most the software is good as well. Seems like you either got an unlucky corrupted file or a bad bit of hardware. Covid made many manufacturers go to alternate chips which leads to a vastly more complex number of permutations :(

Hang in there. The really bad thing is the 2 weeks :(. Still at least the car drives fine minus the gps. Have you tried charging at a commercial charger? Might reset the charge screen. Also is it charging fine? And it’s just the screen that is wrong or is it also not charging?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
@SeattleCat I appreciate the cheerful disposition. I called around and have another dealer able to squeeze me in on Thursday. They said one of their vehicles exhibited the same issue while it was still on the lot.

I hope that Volvo can get a handle of this problem quick and that it doesn't recur for us. I'm sure we'll grow to love the car quickly once we feel like we can trust it.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I have the latest late June updates and I just push the front defrost for 20 seconds and the modem resets. So for me it is the same unless there is a newer update I don't have yet.

Have you tried rebooting infotainment with holding Home button for 20 seconds? It seems it might reset the model as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
the car is not falling apart, it's just the networking having issues, you can still drive it just fine without LTE or Wifi. It happened to me one night (LTE modem went offline) and it was back by next morning. Remember that LTE is the cellular network, so in some cases it could just be the cellular network being down, though in your case it definitely seems to be a software issue given that GPS and Wifi also don't work. Probably a faulty antena module, let us know what the find, please.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
the car is not falling apart, it's just the networking having issues, you can still drive it just fine without LTE or Wifi. It happened to me one night (LTE modem went offline) and it was back by next morning. Remember that LTE is the cellular network, so in some cases it could just be the cellular network being down, though in your case it definitely seems to be a software issue given that GPS and Wifi also don't work. Probably a faulty antena module, let us know what the find, please.
Um nope. it’s busted
Oh my way to dealership 2 of the day (back to the place it was purchased, a few hours from our home).
Not only is all the connectivity stuff broken, but the car is stuck in hobbled charging mode and apparently will not connect to VIDA. The first dealership I went to wanted nothing to do with it, and basically just shrugged their shoulders and said take it back to place of purchase, make it their problem and not ours.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Um nope. it’s busted
Oh my way to dealership 2 of the day (back to the place it was purchased, a few hours from our home).
Not only is all the connectivity stuff broken, but the car is stuck in hobbled charging mode and apparently will not connect to VIDA. The first dealership I went to wanted nothing to do with it, and basically just shrugged their shoulders and said take it back to place of purchase, make it their problem and not ours.
Sounds like you just had bad luck, but it's a new car so it's fully warranted. It will be fixed by Volvo one way or another.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
all well and good, But no customer should ever be on the receiving end of this kind of BS. I’ve been in the car for almost 6 hours today, and the vast majority of the miles on that vehicle are the miles driven around this **** state trying to get a resolution.

I have bought six cars in my lifetime. Six out of six have been Volvos. That one we bought on Saturday is the very last one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
all well and good, But no customer should ever be on the receiving end of this kind of BS. I’ve been in the car for almost 6 hours today, and the vast majority of the miles on that vehicle are the miles driven around this **** state trying to get a resolution.

I have bought six cars in my lifetime. Six out of six have been Volvos. That one we bought on Saturday is the very last one.
I really don't understand the upheaval, you got sold a defective unit, you take it back to the dealer and say "fix it and give me a loaner until you are done". That's what others on this forum have done when they had an issue, like the guy who got a loaner for several week for a very minor thing (the wireless phone charger was busted) because they had to take the whole console apart. Given that your car is practically unusable, I would blame the dealer for the problem, they should have taken it back and given you a loaner until the had it fixed.

And I'm not trying to argue with you about this, just don't understand how something that should be pretty straight forward can go so off rails.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I am wondering about words.

When we say dealers do we mean
A. Sales team until we get the car
B. Sales team after we get the car while they forget to order free stuff over and over and the important part

C. Service when the car has an actual problem
Or
D. Sales when the car has a problem

As far as I understand our contract is with Volvo service(s) which are the service departments of all Volvo dealerships. None should shun service all should treat us as a Volvo owner. And in my experience have always looked after me.

Sales departments (some/mine) barely gave a crap before I got the car and I certainly would not go to them for problems I have with it. They cannot give you a new car but they can champion your cause with sales.

So when I said go to another dealership I meant the service department of another but due to the inaccuracy of language I was probably not clear.

The number of P8s with bad cosmetic problems is low but it is not zero. So far all of the problems have been fixable with a competent service team working with Volvo. Not always very speedy but that should increase as they learn symptoms and link with cures better.

Good luck getting your car working.

Ps I call gps cosmetic but ac is not cosmetic esp in the heat of summer or cold of winter.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I am wondering about words.

When we say dealers do we mean
A. Sales team until we get the car
B. Sales team after we get the car while they forget to order free stuff over and over and the important part

C. Service when the car has an actual problem
Or
D. Sales when the car has a problem

As far as I understand our contract is with Volvo service(s) which are the service departments of all Volvo dealerships. None should shun service all should treat us as a Volvo owner. And in my experience have always looked after me.

Sales departments (some/mine) barely gave a crap before I got the car and I certainly would not go to them for problems I have with it. They cannot give you a new car but they can champion your cause with sales.

So when I said go to another dealership I meant the service department of another but due to the inaccuracy of language I was probably not clear.

The number of P8s with bad cosmetic problems is low but it is not zero. So far all of the problems have been fixable with a competent service team working with Volvo. Not always very speedy but that should increase as they learn symptoms and link with cures better.

Good luck getting your car working.

Ps I call gps cosmetic but ac is not cosmetic esp in the heat of summer or cold of winter.
What leads you believe “The number of P8s with bad cosmetic problems is low”? Do you have data from Volvo?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
nothing about this is “cosmetic.”
functionality of the vehicle is greatly impacted by having not just gps, LTE, and wifi not functional. This is one of the reasons we traded in an older V60, and we paid for every bit of it.

the car is not charging correctly. it charged like it’s plugged into a 110V household socket, even on the dealer’s own charger equipment

the car cannot communicate with Volvo’s own VIDA diagnostic system.

a dealer decided that it was too much of a problem for them to handle because I didn’t buy the car there (because they didn’t have the car we wanted in their inventory). Okay. Not sure that’s how a service network is meant to work. I was a model customer — had all my issues written down concisely and even stopped by to pick up some snacks for the service dept lounge to just say thanks for getting me on the appointment calendar this week. They treated me like crap, and even (wrongly) told me that the orange key I brought to have reset to a full-functional key couldn’t be changed (they didn’t know their own TJs).

I wrecked the rest of my day to drive halfway across the state to drop the car at the dealer who sold it to me. So they win, and I’m greatly inconvenienced. Fine.

They’ve lost Volvo two customers in our household who’ve never bought anything but this company’s product. They’ve convinced us that Volvo is trying to punch above its weight class in both engineering and in its management of its dealer networks and service departments.

Reactions: SeattleCat

·
Registered
97 Posts
functionality of the vehicle is greatly impacted by having not just gps, LTE, and wifi not functional. This is one of the reasons we traded in an older V60, and we paid for every bit of it.

the car is not charging correctly. it charged like it’s plugged into a 110V household socket, even on the dealer’s own charger equipment

a dealer decided that it was too much of a problem for them to handle because I didn’t buy the car there (because they didn’t have the car we wanted in their inventory). Okay. Not sure that’s how a service network is meant to work. I was a model customer — had all my issues written down concisely and even stopped by to pick up some snacks for the service dept lounge to just say thanks for getting me on the appointment calendar this week. They treated me like crap, and even (wrongly) told me that the orange key I brought to have reset to a full-functional key couldn’t be changed (they didn’t know their own TJs).

I wrecked the rest of my day to drive halfway across the state to drop the car at the dealer who sold it to me. So they win, and I’m greatly inconvenienced. Fine.

They’ve lost Volvo two customers in our household who’ve never bought anything but this company’s product. They’ve convinced us that Volvo is punching above its weight class in both engineering and in its management of its dealer networks and service departments.
Fully agree. Calling these issues cosmetic is an attempt to trivialize problems that should not be occurring on a brand new 60,000 car.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts

They’ve lost Volvo two customers in our household who’ve never bought anything but this company’s product. They’ve convinced us that Volvo is punching above its weight class in both engineering and in its management of its dealer networks and service departments.
Anyone know a Volvo email address for this chap to elevate his problems on? Service should not be treating people like that.

I did not realize your car is not able to communicate with their diagnostic equipment. It honestly sounds like your car is not viable. As someone else said. Drop it back to your original dealer. Demand (I hate demanding, I hate it so much that I get my wife to do it. I like asking nicely which works in most situations but not around some car dealerships) that they either replace your car or give you a loaner whilst they fix it. A nice loaner.

Sorry you are having to deal with such crap :(

What leads you believe “The number of P8s with bad cosmetic problems is low”? Do you have data from Volvo?
This is based on surveys I and others have run here and the fact that if the number was really high the number of people complaining vs not would be higher. Is it 100% accurate no but it is the best info we have.

I do wish Volvo would share the data.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Anyone know a Volvo email address for this chap to elevate his problems on? Service should not be treating people like that.

I did not realize your car is not able to communicate with their diagnostic equipment. It honestly sounds like your car is not viable. As someone else said. Drop it back to your original dealer. Demand (I hate demanding, I hate it so much that I get my wife to do it. I like asking nicely which works in most situations but not around some car dealerships) that they either replace your car or give you a loaner whilst they fix it. A nice loaner.

Sorry you are having to deal with such crap :(

This is based on surveys I and others have run here and the fact that if the number was really high the number of people complaining vs not would be higher. Is it 100% accurate no but it is the best info we have.

I do wish Volvo would share the data.
Your “surveys” have absolutely no statistical value and so produce totally unsubstantiated conclusions.

·
Registered
19 Posts
We have a new XC40 Recharge. Haven’t even driven it 200 miles yet and the thing is falling apart. No GPS, no LTE, no Wifi. And now weird things in the charging screen (it’s stuck on 6 amp and the buttons are grayed out for changing it).

We’ve tried the defroster button technique to reset the modem, but it doesn’t seem to do anything (maybe because we’re on too recent a software version?). We can reset the center screen with the home button but that doesn’t fix anything.

We’ve let it sit overnight. We’ve tried locking it and walking away with all the keys. We’ve tried coaxing and imploring it.

What else can we do, except wait 2 weeks for the first service appointment at the local dealer? Is there a physical box someplace I can unplug and plug back in?

thank you!
When you let it sit overnight, did you Power Off, and not have charger connected? My P* had a similar problem and it recovered after powering off and letting it sit idle while I was out for the weekend.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts