Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Anyone know why my charging info is 60 KW on Electrify America 350 KW chargers on a road trip in Colorado. Is there a way to goose that up?
What was your battery charge level (SoC) when you started?

As you probably know, the max charge rate for our P8s is 150kW, even if you're at a 350kW charger. Even then - you'll only ever see the full 150kW rate when your battery is below 20%.
Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Id forgotten the max was 150. My first time on the road away from the home wall charger. My SOC was 47 percent when I started so no wonder it seemed slow. I must say the P8 is remarkably accurate at estimating the SOC at the next charging stop. I

·
Registered
73 Posts
Actually, some 350W charger only allow less than 30W speed. So, I have to use 150W charger to get it's full speed. I believe that was ABB's charger.
Only one site issue, so I don't want to say all 350W charger has same issue.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I have gotten 147 out of a 350 so not all limit only all of them.

I also only got 18 out of a 150 once (my charge was low) I think due to the charger being over heated (it was over 100 and the transformers were not doing there usual loud cooling.

1 to 70/80 worth doing at a 150
70 to 90 a 50 is as good so what ever is convenient

happy charging.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Actually, some 350W charger only allow less than 30W speed. So, I have to use 150W charger to get it's full speed. I believe that was ABB's charger.
Only one site issue, so I don't want to say all 350W charger has same issue.
Are you saying this charger was deliberately only allowing <30kW, by design? That doesn't make any sense, sounds like a broken or faulty charger to me. Note, I'm presuming you meant to type kiloWatts, not Watts. Otherwise it would take 1000x longer to charge :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
In our 8,000+ miles with our P8 (and with other EVs at EA chargers) we have found that for whatever reason the 350kW chargers don't offer the full speed. I'm not certain this is by design as much as just "flaky" performance -- but it has occurred where we've shown up with 40% SOC (approx) expecting close to 100kW charging speed; plugged into the 350kW charger and seen 30-50kW -- then moved over to a 150kW tower, and it provides us the full ~100kW -- but my theory is the 350kW towers just suck LOL

PS: for the n00bs reading this please remember that you should use the 150kW towers FIRST and foremost, as our cars can only get 150kW max anyhow. Using a 350kW tower does you no benefit, and potentially blocks a vehicle stoping by that can use that tower with greater benefit (Audi eTrons, Porsche Taycan, forthcoming IONIQ5, etc)

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Was there anyone else plugged into the second charger in the same charging station? That could reduce the charging speed of your car.
It could but I would really hope it would not and would be surprised if it was. Charging is what they do after all.

I suppose they could be designed assuming that a % of cars are fuller and unable to draw the full amount ….

Be fun to take 8 Volvo’s at 10% charge to an 8 station charging center and see if it can charge all at full speed :). I do love experiments :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Was there anyone else plugged into the second charger in the same charging station? That could reduce the charging speed of your car.
Incorrect. Unlike Tesla Superchargers where station/tower 1A and 1B share a kW MAX load, but often have 6, 8, or 10 towers..... EA stations tend to have only 4 towers but do NOT share their lines. Even though each tower has 2 cables, only one can be used at at time (hence why each tower has just 1 parking spot). There is no line-load sharing with EA chargers. If you are plugged into a 350kW or 150kW EA tower, you can potentially pull the full 350/150kW max. In the case of the OP here, they are at too high a SOC if you read the replies, hence why they saw lower kW max. Again, don't confuse the line load sharing of Tesla with the lack there of on EA towers.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Incorrect. Unlike Tesla Superchargers where station/tower 1A and 1B share a kW MAX load, but often have 6, 8, or 10 towers..... EA stations tend to have only 4 towers but do NOT share their lines. Even though each tower has 2 cables, only one can be used at at time (hence why each tower has just 1 parking spot). There is no line-load sharing with EA chargers. If you are plugged into a 350kW or 150kW EA tower, you can potentially pull the full 350/150kW max. In the case of the OP here, they are at too high a SOC if you read the replies, hence why they saw lower kW max. Again, don't confuse the line load sharing of Tesla with the lack there of on EA towers.
Actually not incorrect you just misunderstood me. When I say 8 charging stations I am not counting the plugins as I do understand that only 1 car can connect at a time (worked that out the first day I had an ev). I was defining an 8 charging station as one in which there are 8 towers and so 8 cars can charge.

I did say I doubt there is any charge but if you had 8 real charging stations rated at 150 there is some logic to having your maximum capacity not be 8x150 as many cars are not low enough to pull the full 150 but a lesser amount. I did not say that they were or were not hence the suggestion of an experiment.

Unless you have the designs of every EA station you cannot say if there is any charge limitations or not.

As stated I would guess there is not charge sharing but I do not say one way or another as we do know.

·
Registered
298 Posts
@SeattleCat
1- I was NOT quoting your post, go back and re-read before you react so incorrect and so quickly. I had quoted @Seattleman post not yours.

2- You are still 100% incorrect. I actually produce/sell parts to ABB chargers, one of my customers. And have owned 20+ BEV/PHEV vehicles, and have direct contact with an engineer here locally to ABB. I've had conversations with them as WELL as with Electrify America, directly. They have explained that NO station they produce has a shared power (in the sense of the posted max being shared between two towers, or two cables). That said, they are obviously all shared in the same MAX (so at a station with 350kW 1x + 150kW 3x that station is a shared 800kW max station usually designed for 1,000 kW max loan (80% load max). But again, even if all 4x stations were plugged in, they could, potentially, provide 800kW concurrent power.

If you don't believe me, call EA yourself if you'd like. Or ABB, or Signet, etc. And again, I wasn't quoting your post but the post above yours, if you read more carefully.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Doh dyslexia strikes again. Stupid Brain. Apologies. Darn user names fail my filters!

Did not know you sold them! You are an expert vs us guessing amateurs (no sarcasm meant). Will set the bit that says you have deep knowledge. And in re reading what you wrote and I wrote we are actually agreeing :) only you with facts and me with guess work :)

cheers and thanks for the info

• Love
Reactions: arijaycomet

·
Registered
298 Posts
Doh dyslexia strikes again. Stupid Brain. Apologies. Darn user names fail my filters!
:love::cool:
BTW - I did a double take too. You/I have become "regulars" (there are about a half dozen of us who seem to partake in almost every thread here as the P8 "pros") -- so when I saw another Seattle user name I got all confused too! No harm, no foul. Have a great day/week!

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Hugs. I have mistaken someone quoting Seattlemans post before for mine. I have now written a brain filter to do a second processing pass on ids :)

I have lots of these filters. They work well. But in new situations … written words are not my friends.

Thanks for understanding. :)

Reactions: arijaycomet

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Oh god imagine charging your car with a usb cable …

Ack that sounds like something from a nightmare where you are being chased and have to charge with a usb cable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts