Volvo XC40 Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
‘22 XC40 Recharge Twin in Denim Blue
190 Posts
I think at the end is a matter of responsibility and accountability.
Volvo needs to take responsibility but they need to hold SiriusXM and Google accountable.
Splitting hairs here on issues that at the end need to be transparent to users and car owners.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge
43 Posts
All:

The SiriusXM app (v1.0) just released for the Volvo XC40 Recharge All-Electric SUV by Google and Volvo as part of software update v1.7 -- FINALLY activated the satellite radio feature for long-time owners of this car -- but contains a number of bugs and really silly limitations.

First of all, the play/pause button on the touch screen for this app is broken when it is in full screen mode on the center display...at least in my vehicle. It doesn't toggle between play and pause as that touch screen button does for all other audio apps in the vehicle...in fact, it's completely non-functional in my car. This is an obvious programming error.

Since the button doesn't work when the app is in full screen mode, users must press the physical pause button built into the volume knob to pause the audio.

Secondly, the in-vehicle Google Assistant doesn’t respond to commands to play SiriusXM or to tune to any particular SiriusXM station.

When asked, the Assistant says “You don’t have the SiriusXM app installed…you must install it to use SiriusXM”. It’s really hard to believe that after all this time making XC40 All-Electric vehicle owners have access to the satellite radio that you didn’t have time to actually teach the Google Assistant to recognize that the app is installed or to recognize spoken commands. The Google Assistant does this just fine on my mobile devices, launching the SiriusXM app and tuning to the requested station just fine.

Thirdly, the Volvo XC40 in-car SiriusXM app doesn't synchronize favorites with the user's SiriusXM devices and account the way all other devices (Apple, Android, and PC/Mac/Website) do.

Fourth, there is no option to toggle the Favorites and Channel lists between displaying the channel names and currently-playing songs or shows, the way most other apps on other devices and in many cars do. For example, most Pioneer aftermarket touch screen infotainment units allow for such toggling and have since 2010 or so.

To be quite frank, the SiriusXM in-car app v1.0 is a very amateurish, buggy effort, particularly considering how long folks have been waiting for the satellite ratio to be activated in this model vehicle.

R,
Bill

·
Registered
2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge
43 Posts
[100% agree. Version 1.0 is 💩. Called XM to ask for refresh and perhaps newer version. Told I needed to contact the dealer/installer. The free year subscription is garbage. Connect through Bluetooth with your phone and use your cellphone data - only solution. My app freezes on a channel and if you change a channel you can listen to it but the original channel remains in the center display.

The SiriusXM app (v1.0) just released for the Volvo XC40 Recharge All-Electric SUV by Google and Volvo as part of software update v1.7 -- FINALLY activated the satellite radio feature for long-time owners of this car -- but contains a number of bugs and really silly limitations.

First of all, the play/pause button on the touch screen for this app is broken when it is in full screen mode on the center display...at least in my vehicle. It doesn't toggle between play and pause as that touch screen button does for all other audio apps in the vehicle...in fact, it's completely non-functional in my car. This is an obvious programming error.

Since the button doesn't work when the app is in full screen mode, users must press the physical pause button built into the volume knob to pause the audio.

Secondly, the in-vehicle Google Assistant doesn’t respond to commands to play SiriusXM or to tune to any particular SiriusXM station.

When asked, the Assistant says “You don’t have the SiriusXM app installed…you must install it to use SiriusXM”. It’s really hard to believe that after all this time making XC40 All-Electric vehicle owners have access to the satellite radio that you didn’t have time to actually teach the Google Assistant to recognize that the app is installed or to recognize spoken commands. The Google Assistant does this just fine on my mobile devices, launching the SiriusXM app and tuning to the requested station just fine.

Thirdly, the Volvo XC40 in-car SiriusXM app doesn't synchronize favorites with the user's SiriusXM devices and account the way all other devices (Apple, Android, and PC/Mac/Website) do.

Fourth, there is no option to toggle the Favorites and Channel lists between displaying the channel names and currently-playing songs or shows, the way most other apps on other devices and in many cars do. For example, most Pioneer aftermarket touch screen infotainment units allow for such toggling and have since 2010 or so.

To be quite frank, the SiriusXM in-car app v1.0 is a very amateurish, buggy effort, particularly considering how long folks have been waiting for the satellite ratio to be activated in this model vehicle.

R,
Bill
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
321 Posts
@astrobill — thanks for the reply — just a few quick thoughts back your way—

1: you’re 100% right that while Google is responsible for the OS, it is still being ushered into our hands under the guise of a Volvo XC40 product. So it stands to reason that, if for that reasons lone, it is Volvo’s problem. Furthermore, the OS overlay is Volvo specific (if you’ve had or been in other modern Volvos you’ll know what I mean; the 4 bar layout, etc).

So yes, Volvo does need to make sure it matches their standards. But — i also question how much testing they can/are doing with it. Eg: look at Tesla who recently rolled out a big update for FSD, then stopped and rolled it back while they figured out some bugs that were not fully discovered until “mass testing” occurred. The same goes for Apple, when you see iOS versions “X” appear, and then vX.01 and X.02 come days later, to fix those same bugs. These things happen —

(and ultimately if Volvo were at least not just testing this but more serious about rolling out new updates, and even small bug fixes, in a more timely fashion, like Apple does with iOS as simply one example, or Tesla does, then we’d be fine—- Tesla really is the beach mark here and nobody else even comes close to hitting it yet)

2: You surely could do a poll re: Spotify issues. I was simply stating that the issues you saw matched ones I had seen with Spotify. But we have yet to have those issues with SXM. So whether or not the issues you’ve experienced are specific to the app versus the OS was my “query” — but neither you nor i may be able to find that answer. But it would be interesting to see who else has the “music change when the display info does not“ with other music-based apps. Maybe we’re onto something; maybe its a dead end.

3: LOL re: Specious — Of the 12 Tesla vehicles we had, I never actually used my own login with Slacker, and by the time they went to Spotify, we abandoned the brand due to quality issues that rarely were resolved. After logging hundreds of thousands of miles on Tesla products, it was time to move on. I know they offer Spotify now, and I do admit that their Slacker experience did sync “sometimes” for me. But I was never aware of SXM sync in the cars, and of the 85 cars I’ve owned MOST of them have had SXM over the past 10 years, and I’ve never seen it sync. Mainly because SXM is a one-way streaming “download” only. There is no way to send anything to the cloud that i was aware. So that is what i was saying in my previous reply — that i had never seen SXM sync. But yes, i know that LTE/5G type apps could/do sync I dont disagree there whatsoever. And those make sense to sync, based on data plans=- the beautify IMO of SXM is that it works, across the country, even in places where connections (terrestrial) do not exist. you dont need data/LTE to work to stream SXM —- but yes, someone -could- make that sync, if you wanted to add a layer of data overtop of the satellite stream. But that is basically what you said your last few paragraphs—-

PS: I love a good poll … (no euphemism intended)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
UPDATE:

So, the play/pause touchscreen button issue with SiriusXM v1.0 has become somewhat intermittent. It's started working at times, not at all other times, and with significant lag at yet other times. Hopefully, enough folks will let Volvo know about this bug as well as the limited features I listed at the start of the thread, and get the Volvo/Google team improving the app soon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
All:

R,
Bill
Totally agree that the SiriusXM app is a total mess. I know many in this group don't care because they don't like Sirius anyway, but I've been a Sirius user since they began and I like it -- when it works. And it does work perfectly in my other Volvo (2019 XC60 PHEV). Even if the coding for the app is not done by Volvo, surely Volvo should have vetted it before they sent it out to our XC40 Recharges. Very disappointing, and does not bode well for the merits of future OTA updates on our cars.😡

·
Registered
2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge
43 Posts
Totally agree that the SiriusXM app is a total mess. I know many in this group don't care because they don't like Sirius anyway, but I've been a Sirius user since they began and I like it -- when it works. And it does work perfectly in my other Volvo (2019 XC60 PHEV). Even if the coding for the app is not done by Volvo, surely Volvo should have vetted it before they sent it out to our XC40 Recharges. Very disappointing, and does not bode well for the merits of future OTA updates on our cars.😡
What version of XM is in your XC60? I am sure it is not v1.0

·
Registered
1 Posts
That new SXM app worked OK for about nine seconds, now the tuned channel and album art is frozen, even when you change channels.

Thought turning off the car would reset it, but no dice-- it's been like that for five days now.

Anybody know how to reset that app?

·
Registered
2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge
43 Posts
That new SXM app worked OK for about nine seconds, now the tuned channel and album art is frozen, even when you change channels.

Thought turning off the car would reset it, but no dice-- it's been like that for five days now.

You can try a signal refresh from the SiriusXM website. You will need your VIN and Radio ID number. Mine did not work for several days and yesterday it was working fine. We are all using Version 1.0 of the software - bad planning and launch by Volvo NA.

·
Registered
61 Posts

I reboot the IHU (by holding the home button down past the screen cleaning screen) to reset the SiriusXM app. I have the same freeze issue and it is very frustrating from someone who had Sirius from the very beginning (using an under the dash add-on unit).

·
Registered
‘22 XC40 Recharge Twin in Denim Blue
190 Posts
I’m shocked by how disconnected Volvo and SiriusXM are. Got this letter in the mail today. Clearly notes the car I purchased but also says the in-vehicle feature is unavailable. By unavailable, they mean it barely works?

Rectangle Font Post-it note Parallel Paper

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I’m shocked by how disconnected Volvo and SiriusXM are. Got this letter in the mail today. Clearly notes the car I purchased but also says the in-vehicle feature is unavailable. By unavailable, they mean it barely works?

View attachment 1673
Well, to be fair, the rollout of SiriusXM 1.0 in the all-electric XC40 just started in mid-Oct, so when they mailed that letter, it may not have been out yet. Also, even though it's out, they're still giving owners the free six months subscription to make up for the fact the vehicles were delivered without it.

BTW, It may look like SiriusXM is being nice, but they just don't want to lose potential subscribers. They know that all-electric XC40 owners -- until now, anyway -- got their cars without functioning satellite radio but with totally functional (mostly) internet/cellular streaming options working (e.g., Spotify, Tune-In). So they know folks have had months to try the non-satellite options out and many may be satisfied with those. This is really all about SiriusXM trying to entice new subscribers from Volvo owners as well as hold on to all-electric XC40 owners who had SiriusXM before and cancelled subscriptions when they realized it would be a while before they had a functioning radio again.

Personally, I like satellite because you're not hostage to crappy cell tower signals and terrain obstruction (e.g., driving in the mountains, urban canyons, etc.)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Anyone get the problem where the screen shows the wrong channel graphic? Howard Stern graphic, but I’m on cnn, for example. Goofy crap software. Never happened in my V60.
Yup, I think a few people mentioned the "stuck" display vs what is actually playing.

Its def buggy, but I'd rather this/something than nothing for months more.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts