Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All:

The SiriusXM app (v1.0) just released for the Volvo XC40 Recharge All-Electric SUV by Google and Volvo as part of software update v1.7 -- FINALLY activated the satellite radio feature for long-time owners of this car -- but contains a number of bugs and really silly limitations.

First of all, the play/pause button on the touch screen for this app is broken when it is in full screen mode on the center display...at least in my vehicle. It doesn't toggle between play and pause as that touch screen button does for all other audio apps in the vehicle...in fact, it's completely non-functional in my car. This is an obvious programming error.

Since the button doesn't work when the app is in full screen mode, users must press the physical pause button built into the volume knob to pause the audio.

Secondly, the in-vehicle Google Assistant doesn’t respond to commands to play SiriusXM or to tune to any particular SiriusXM station.

When asked, the Assistant says “You don’t have the SiriusXM app installed…you must install it to use SiriusXM”. It’s really hard to believe that after all this time making XC40 All-Electric vehicle owners have access to the satellite radio that you didn’t have time to actually teach the Google Assistant to recognize that the app is installed or to recognize spoken commands. The Google Assistant does this just fine on my mobile devices, launching the SiriusXM app and tuning to the requested station just fine.

Thirdly, the Volvo XC40 in-car SiriusXM app doesn't synchronize favorites with the user's SiriusXM devices and account the way all other devices (Apple, Android, and PC/Mac/Website) do.

Fourth, there is no option to toggle the Favorites and Channel lists between displaying the channel names and currently-playing songs or shows, the way most other apps on other devices and in many cars do. For example, most Pioneer aftermarket touch screen infotainment units allow for such toggling and have since 2010 or so.

To be quite frank, the SiriusXM in-car app v1.0 is a very amateurish, buggy effort, particularly considering how long folks have been waiting for the satellite ratio to be activated in this model vehicle.

R,
Bill

·
Registered
‘22 XC40 Recharge Twin in Denim Blue
185 Posts
The SiriusXM app has really nothing to do with Volvo’s ecosystem other than hosting it.

I’ve had car with SiriusXM and it was always disappointing. Horrible sound quality, favorites never sync, favorites never save, freezing all the time, relaunching out of nowhere, etc. Same behavior with different cars.
My solution was to download the app in my phone and use it via Bluetooth. Much better n every sense.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Totally agree with @B-mtrd here and not @astrobill — what you’re facing here is not first and foremost a Volvo shortcoming but that of Google (AAOS) which is outsourced. That said, most non-Tesla car makers are using 3rd parties (Delphi, etc) to make their systems, and/or limited by some other factors. SXM has never been one to sound good, as they clip the top/bottom Hz freq, giving you a horrible sound spectrum. Same goes with most streaming services TBH — you’re better off as B-mtrd said using BT streaming with other services, or music on your device that has the full frequency spectrum.

FWIW —
1- your first issue I’ve had the same problem with Spotify, so that is little to do with SXM and more again to do with AAOS and google as an OS

2- this is not a feature that i use, but again when i would try to play music on Spotify by voice (rarely) it worked only 50% of the time and sometimes would say it could not work. if you use BT and your phone’s voice assistant, you’ll probably find better results. Though this becomes yet another argument for ACP/AA to be implemented sooner rather than later

3- This is news to me that this EVER worked. I’ve had 80+ cars and more than half of them with SXM— i have never ever seen any sync across devices. The fact that we have a 2way road of LTE connection is special, and unique. Most cars have not had this type of sync because most cars do not actually share any of their local SXM/radio data to the cloud. They share just proprietary data to their home base (eg: Audi‘s nav system might tell their servers what/how you use the OS, but not about music that would then flow back to SXM servers). So again, that you -ever- had this work on another car is strange to me given those details.

4- Ok now this I will totally agree w/you about. There are some amazing features baked into some of the German cars (Audi etc) and even the current FCA PHEV Jeep that I own —- that some as you said aftermarket SXM features have had for a decade. Another one you didnt mention: starting a song at the start even if you just switched to said channel. It can multi-channel buffer so that as you scan stations, you never miss the starting of a song. My JEep does that, my Audi eTron SUV did that, etc. and pausing too. And favorites not just for stations but also artists/song titles. These are features that I suspect we might see down the road but as we’re just on v1.0 for this app its def limited. But i do agree there is def room for improvements; at the moment I’m just glad that we can use SXM and not Spotify which i never really loved.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The SiriusXM app has really nothing to do with Volvo’s ecosystem other than hosting it.

I’ve had car with SiriusXM and it was always disappointing. Horrible sound quality, favorites never sync, favorites never save, freezing all the time, relaunching out of nowhere, etc. Same behavior with different cars.
My solution was to download the app in my phone and use it via Bluetooth. Much better n every sense.
Volvo chose AAOS over other operating systems and has been stridently touting its quality in marketing materials and at the dealerships. The car has Volvo’s name on it. It is sold and serviced by Volvo dealers. They are ultimately responsible for their product.

·
Registered
‘22 XC40 Recharge Twin in Denim Blue
185 Posts
Volvo chose AAOS over other operating systems and has been stridently touting its quality in marketing materials and at the dealerships. The car has Volvo’s name on it. It is sold and serviced by Volvo dealers. They are ultimately responsible for their product.
Is it Apple’s fault that the Volvo app doesn’t work properly?
Now, Volvo needs to be all over Google to ensure the OS works properly as it is tarnishing their brand.

·
Registered
135 Posts
There is plenty of blame to go around. AAOS is a 'minimally viable product' - it surely has bugs throughout the software stack that are a contributing factor. Volvo wants to include SXM but is totally reliant on SXM to port their software to AAOS, which may have required significant changes to their software. I suspect that SXM pushed their first attempt out the door ASAP, since Volvo was pressuring them to meet their obligations.

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
222 Posts
What I really don't get is why Google didn't include "classic" Android Auto connectivity right off the bat with AAOS. It would have eliminated a lot of these complaints if users could just use the old AA apps until new versions were ported over to AAOS.

·
Registered
44 Posts
What I really don't get is why Google didn't include "classic" Android Auto connectivity right off the bat with AAOS. It would have eliminated a lot of these complaints if users could just use the old AA apps until new versions were ported over to AAOS.
Pure speculation, but Google is infamous for exactly this. Two separate teams working on these two things. Not necessarily wanting to play nice, on either end for that matter.

·
Registered
97 Posts
There is plenty of blame to go around. AAOS is a 'minimally viable product' - it surely has bugs throughout the software stack that are a contributing factor. Volvo wants to include SXM but is totally reliant on SXM to port their software to AAOS, which may have required significant changes to their software. I suspect that SXM pushed their first attempt out the door ASAP, since Volvo was pressuring them to meet their obligations.
Whom do hold responsible for the fact that Volvo’s own app is an embarrassment?

·
Registered
2021 Glacier Silver XC40 Recharge P8
181 Posts

That's what I do. Works better for me too.

·
Registered
2021 P8
52 Posts
Have had similar issues as OP. I will say, this is about what I expect with Android products. Had Android phones for a number of years, and it was always substandard, buggy, flaky, and unreliable. That's why I shifted to iOS (which, to be honest, isn't perfect, but it's light years better than Google).

·
Registered
2 Posts
All:

The SiriusXM app (v1.0) just released for the Volvo XC40 Recharge All-Electric SUV by Google and Volvo as part of software update v1.7 -- FINALLY activated the satellite radio feature for long-time owners of this car -- but contains a number of bugs and really silly limitations.

First of all, the play/pause button on the touch screen for this app is broken when it is in full screen mode on the center display...at least in my vehicle. It doesn't toggle between play and pause as that touch screen button does for all other audio apps in the vehicle...in fact, it's completely non-functional in my car. This is an obvious programming error.

Since the button doesn't work when the app is in full screen mode, users must press the physical pause button built into the volume knob to pause the audio.

Secondly, the in-vehicle Google Assistant doesn’t respond to commands to play SiriusXM or to tune to any particular SiriusXM station.

When asked, the Assistant says “You don’t have the SiriusXM app installed…you must install it to use SiriusXM”. It’s really hard to believe that after all this time making XC40 All-Electric vehicle owners have access to the satellite radio that you didn’t have time to actually teach the Google Assistant to recognize that the app is installed or to recognize spoken commands. The Google Assistant does this just fine on my mobile devices, launching the SiriusXM app and tuning to the requested station just fine.

Thirdly, the Volvo XC40 in-car SiriusXM app doesn't synchronize favorites with the user's SiriusXM devices and account the way all other devices (Apple, Android, and PC/Mac/Website) do.

Fourth, there is no option to toggle the Favorites and Channel lists between displaying the channel names and currently-playing songs or shows, the way most other apps on other devices and in many cars do. For example, most Pioneer aftermarket touch screen infotainment units allow for such toggling and have since 2010 or so.

To be quite frank, the SiriusXM in-car app v1.0 is a very amateurish, buggy effort, particularly considering how long folks have been waiting for the satellite ratio to be activated in this model vehicle.

R,
Bill

·
Registered
2 Posts
Agree. After 5-6 months you would think Volvo would release a validated update
After having Sirius refresh the app I gain receive music but the screen is frozen on the same channel despite hearing multiple channels and the screen shows "no Sirius signal"
Very poor
Needs another hopefully authenticated update ASAP

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Totally agree with @B-mtrd here and not @astrobill — what you’re facing here is not first and foremost a Volvo shortcoming but that of Google (AAOS) which is outsourced.
These aren't really true. Not only does Volvo exercise oversight over what Google places into their vehicles, but the Volvo team is a necessary part of the software development process here, insuring the software hooks/interfaces are done properly, that the in-vehicle memory is sufficient, etc.

Moreover, the assertion that Volvo isn't responsible for whatever Google puts in the car flies in the face of reason (and safety). Would Volvo be okay with Google making the vehicle require, say, solving a puzzle to turn the headlights on? lol Obviously, Volvo is responsible for everything.

1- your first issue I’ve had the same problem with Spotify, so that is little to do with SXM and more again to do with AAOS and google as an OS
I've never had the play/pause touch screen button issue with any other audio source in the vehicle, Spotify included. Would be interested in hearing if others have had this issue with any other source. So far, you're the only reply saying that. Maybe I'll do a poll?

3- This is news to me that this EVER worked. I’ve had 80+ cars and more than half of them with SXM— i have never ever seen any sync across devices.
SiriusXM has synched properly across Android, Apple, my previous Audi, and (I think) in the Tesla S/X models. Besides, TuneIn, Spotify, and Slacker Radio all seem to synch pretty well across devices/vehicles in many cases. Why can't SiriusXM? Also, just because you've NEVER seen it work in the past means they can't do it now? With modern connectivity and premium subscriptions? My Tesla MY allows me to login to Spotify and TuneIn and synchs. Your reasoning seems....specious. ;)

Same goes with most streaming services TBH — you’re better off as B-mtrd said using BT streaming with other services, or music on your device that has the full frequency spectrum.
This is a hassle, and also makes one reliant on cell phone tower reception, which is shaky in many places, not to mention having a good, reliable phone with solid signal, internet performance, and Bluetooth. More importantly, the whole point of SATELLITE radio is that it works even when I'm driving through the Rockies or Shenandoah, or across large swaths of rural North America.

Rather than a bunch of contrarian Volvo defenders, I was hoping for more people who actually HAVE the v1.7 update and the XC40 all-electric to weigh in on whether they're seeing the same issues, particularly WRT the non-functioning play/pause button. Maybe I'll try doing a poll....

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
222 Posts
These aren't really true. Not only does Volvo exercise oversight over what Google places into their vehicles, but the Volvo team is a necessary part of the software development process here, insuring the software hooks/interfaces are done properly, that the in-vehicle memory is sufficient, etc.
That's disappointing if true. I was expecting AAOS to be more of an open ecosystem/marketplace like Android Auto, where you could just install whatever apps you want so long as they met the Play Store's basic criteria.

·
Registered
97 Posts

Moreover, the assertion that Volvo isn't responsible for whatever Google puts in the car flies in the face of reason (and safety). Would Volvo be okay with Google making the vehicle require, say, solving a puzzle to turn the headlights on? lol Obviously, Volvo is responsible for everything.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts