Volvo XC40 Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Stay away from the August update. My IHU has been a mess since getting the August update. Someone else here also has had numerous issue with IHU going offline and not connecting at times since applying August update. When I go in for brakes I will see if they can downgrade the IHU software.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Stay away from the August update. My IHU has been a mess since getting the August update. Someone else here also has had numerous issue with IHU going offline and not connecting at times since applying August update. When I go in for brakes I will see if they can downgrade the IHU software.
Hard to tell if it is causal or not especially on your slightly cursed car.

Give a million people an injection of saline.
Within the first hour 1 person will die
Within a week ….
Did the saline cause it … almost definitely not. People just die.

A lot of people have gotten the update and not had IHU issues. But IHU issues are perhaps the most common problem seen. Is the percentage of people getting it the same before and after the update?

Not saying it did not cause yours but hard to know.

As for updates. If you have a car that works perfectly and you did not get ota then I would leave it alone.

I updated my fully functional car only because the ota was sitting there asking all the while and I know at some point spouse(2) would hit yes when out in the field and get locked out / probably charging and brick the car :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
"I updated my fully functional car only because the ota was sitting there asking all the while and I know at some point spouse(2) would hit yes when out in the field and get locked out / probably charging and brick the car :) "

Lol

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
My IHU was very stable other than one reboot sine they replaced it in late July. Within 5 days of having August update I have had various connection, responsiveness, etc on I only use my car 3-4 times a week. Sure may be something else, but the August update is very suspicious right now. I wish there were a way to opt out of the updates. Had this problem with my OLED TV in August, they pushed an update and many people had issues, 2 weeks later another fix. I have since block those updates on my firewall. Would rather let other people be the beats testers for a while.
And yes, I asked dealer to update the car software, which I will never do again, other to see if they can downgrade it.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
My IHU was very stable other than one reboot sine they replaced it in late July. Within 5 days of having August update I have had various connection, responsiveness, etc on I only use my car 3-4 times a week. Sure may be something else, but the August update is very suspicious right now. I wish there were a way to opt out of the updates. Had this problem with my OLED TV in August, they pushed an update and many people had issues, 2 weeks later another fix. I have since block those updates on my firewall. Would rather let other people be the beats testers for a while.
And yes, I asked dealer to update the car software, which I will never do again, other to see if they can downgrade it.
I hate updates. My oldies lg now has annoying graphics when it boots up and my nvidia shield pro 2019 has advertisements all the time after an update …. And people wonder why I am so loathe to update.

Oh I noticed that non opd has a mild accel with no foot on the gas that was not present when I first got the car. Wonder when they added that. I was checking out regen breaking on non opd (it tests the same as on opd).

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Same here, LG really screwed the OLEDs up last year with the new graphics and then the issues with Dolby Vision, makes me want to pay more for Sony next time. nVidia Shield Pro adopted the new Google TV layout with the ads and suggestions that you can not disable. Once I got the LG where I wanted I blocked their updates on my firewall. When I get time I need to figure out how to root and reload Shield with old version then block that updates. Dealer wants to do a "battery reset" which I assume means disconnecting all power (12V and EV battery) to get a clean boot on the car. Anything is worth a try at this point. I assume they will do pads and rotors again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
EDIT: wait, you mentioned "Sensus"... Was that a slip, or are you in the wrong forum?

I'm not certain why you haven't received an email, but I wonder if you fall into one of these scenario's:
  1. Maybe your car already has the June update (done at the dealer just before you picked it up)
    • I think some other people on this forum have a similar situation. (I'd expect it will be offered at some point soon)
  2. Or, maybe your car Volvo ID registration is not complete:
    • check that you can log into their Volvo ID website (and verify your information)
    • check that the car has the same Volvo ID account signed in (shown in accounts menu).
    • check and enable privacy options (I presume that they won't be able to update your car via OTA unless you let them see your car data)
Many thanks. Sorry for confusing people with the reference to "Sensus." I also have an XC60T8, so I am used to calling the infotainment system "Sensus." :geek: Meanwhile, I double checked and yes, I am properly set up with the Volvo ID for my XC40P8, and yes I have all the privacy settings set correctly. So still not sure why Volvo has not deemed me worthy of receiving the August update. Any way, sounds like there will be another one in October (hope you all are correct about that one including Sirius XM, though what I really want is Apple Car Play!), so I will wait to see whether they send me that one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If your car uses the Sensus OS, you’re in the wrong place. This forum is for the XC40 Recharge all-electric model - which uses the Android Automotive OS, not Sensus. Our OTA updates are a totally different thing from the Sensus OS found in gas-powered cars.
Sorry for the confusion - in addition to my XC40P8, I also have a XC60T8, so I am used to calling the infotainment system "Sensus."

·
Registered
428 Posts
So still not sure why Volvo has not deemed me worthy of receiving the August update.
EDIT: snarky comment deleted; just noticed you said you have BOTH gas and electric :)

On the P8, check Settings -> System -> About. If the Kernel date says Jun 2 or later then you already have the updated software.

·
Registered
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
228 Posts
So still not sure why Volvo has not deemed me worthy of receiving the August update.
Don’t take it personally. I’ve been an owner since May any haven’t received any OTA updates. Got my last update when I was at the dealer for other service. Even Tesla meters its OTA updates rather than release them to everyone at the same time. However, everyone eventually get the updates within weeks of the first instance and the updates are more frequent. I don’t understand why VC is being so cautious with OTA updates.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I took my P8 to the dealer yesterday (10/12) and got all software updates AND the Sirius XM update installed. Everything took about 3 hours total.

XM shows up as another app in the same area as the Radio app. It seems perfectly functional, but I wish there was a way to assign favorites the physical Next and Previous buttons below the center screen. Maybe I just haven’t looked hard enough.

I’d been using the Spotify app for the past few months. The first thing I noticed when using Sirius XM is that the audio quality is noticeably worse. It’s probably because they use a much lower bitrate.

I remember reading that Sirius sent out an offer to extend the trial that comes with the XC40 P8. I threw away the mailer unfortunately. Does anyone have a link to the website for that offer? I hope it didn’t require some special code

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Curious if anyone remembers what the original promised timeline was for Sirius?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I thought XM was either summer or fall 21, so I think they are darn close to being on target. That said, XM is irrelevant to me any more. Been years since I even cared about the free trial in any car. Spotify app is great and I rely on it.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I thought XM was either summer or fall 21, so I think they are darn close to being on target. That said, XM is irrelevant to me any more. Been years since I even cared about the free trial in any car. Spotify app is great and I rely on it.
Agreed I will never use Sirius. Prefer my books on tape or the music on my phone. I was just confirming what I thought that Volvo is on track at with Sirius! A shame 1.7 is causing troubles for some …

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
So my theory on locked car is not panning out. Car was locked for 36 hours, unlocked got in and GPS and LTE fired right up. So 2 reboots in a few days after 1.7, we will see what happens. I need to dig into the ID.4 forums more and see what headaches they are having and maybe pout a Q4 on order as a backup plan.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge
30 Posts
I took my P8 to the dealer yesterday (10/12) and got all software updates AND the Sirius XM update installed. Everything took about 3 hours total.

XM shows up as another app in the same area as the Radio app. It seems perfectly functional, but I wish there was a way to assign favorites the physical Next and Previous buttons below the center screen. Maybe I just haven’t looked hard enough.

I’d been using the Spotify app for the past few months. The first thing I noticed when using Sirius XM is that the audio quality is noticeably worse. It’s probably because they use a much lower bitrate.

I remember reading that Sirius sent out an offer to extend the trial that comes with the XC40 P8. I threw away the mailer unfortunately. Does anyone have a link to the website for that offer? I hope it didn’t require some special code
Call Sirius customer support and give them the VIN. They have excellent support and should know about the P8 Volvo extended contract.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts