Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a call from Volvo Customer Care just now. They had noticed on their backend that the OTA software update on my P8 had failed – it did and bricked my car for several hours – and were following up with questions like, "was the car plugged in while updating?", "did you notice anything usual like flashing lights after the update failed?"

They told me they would like to schedule an appointment with a local dealership to complete the update, but they recommended waiting until October 11, because there would be another update released on that date with SiriusXM. Is this news?

·
Registered
155 Posts
It does correspond with notices on the Sirius XM webpage that say "XC40 Recharge vehicles awaiting software updates this fall will receive a 6-month trial that begins with SiriusXM’s streaming service."

We don't use Sirius but it is silly to not have it working, for those that do. I'm glad the update seems to be on track.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got a call from Volvo Customer Care just now. They had noticed on their backend that the OTA software update on my P8 had failed – it did and bricked my car for several hours – and were following up with questions like, "was the car plugged in while updating?", "did you notice anything usual like flashing lights after the update failed?"

They told me they would like to schedule an appointment with a local dealership to complete the update, but they recommended waiting until October 11, because there would be another update released on that date with SiriusXM. Is this news?
I had the same failure and scheduled a service for a redo of the software update. Wasn't notified about the SiriusXM thing, but that would be nice.

·
Registered
168 Posts
From the Volvo Website and manual

The email noting the OTA also contained the link on how to perform the update.

During installation:

Check that the car has been charged to at least 40%.

If the car is connected for charging – end charging and unplug the charging cable. The car cannot be charged during the update.

The notification view shows when an update is ready for installation. Open the notification and follow the instructions in the centre display.

Leave the car, close all doors, and lock the car.

The installation is started. The car must be locked within several minutes otherwise the installation is cancelled.

Wait until the installation is finished.

The installation may take up to 90 minutes. When the installation is finished the car can be used as normal.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Hope the original poster lets us know if they were plugged in. So far the only bricking of the car from ota is when it was plugged in.

I still think it is an appalling design flaw that the user can make such a simple mistake which ends up so badly. Imagine if Apple said do not plug in your phone during charging. . . There could be over a million people making that mistake!!

Idiot proof is an ideal goal. Having to read the manual before doing a seeming simple task is a bad idea.

Why would you not put the warning on the okay screen. For that matter as the car knows it is plugged in would it not be relatively simple to have the update option be greyed out until unplugged?

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
83 Posts
Volvo is still experimenting. Tesla did their experimenting many years ago. Now Volvo is trying to learn with thousands of XC40 "beats" owners. Aren't you glad you're now a "BETA" tester for Volvo. o_O

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Volvo is still experimenting. Tesla did their experimenting many years ago. Now Volvo is trying to learn with thousands of XC40 "beats" owners. Aren't you glad you're now a "BETA" tester for Volvo. o_O
Yes I am. I assumed we were beta testers when we got the car and signed the “it is not working sheet”.

Would happily be a beta tester for them again :)

Reactions: Jim

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine was plugged it, but not charging.

(No where in the car did it say you could not be plugged in btw).
I understand that the email and the Volvo website mentions the not plugged in thing. In my case, and others maybe, 1) I had not read any of those when I got the update notification, and 2) the software update notification in the car itself never said anything about the car not being plugged in. It just said that I would be locked out of the car for the duration of the update.

If it is mission critical for the update process to work, it should be fairly simple for the software to not proceed with the update if plugged in, or at the bare minimum state it as part of the pre-update warning.

I have only enjoyed my time with the vehicle so far, and functionality wise nothing significantly changed (except the loss of easy access to pro pilot assist for unknown reasons). This does, however, speak to a disturbing lack of fundamental software update knowledge within the Volvo team.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Family Moto:
If all else fails read the instructions …

I assumed updated was trivial so updated without reading anything …

Yay for NOT having a charger at home :)

Reactions: mike1234

·
Registered
71 Posts

curious are the updates at the same time around the world, picked my car up yesterday and it said it was up to date, ok i was a nerd and sat and checked every menu option when it got it home

·
Registered
168 Posts
If it is mission critical for the update process to work, it should be fairly simple for the software to not proceed with the update if plugged in, or at the bare minimum state it as part of the pre-update warning.
I absolutely agree with you. Every computer notes never to turn off the system during a bios update. Such a warning about the car plug charging status should be on the update screen.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yeah they should make this so the software doesn’t proceed if the car’s plugged in (although, why? I’m sure they have some rationale).

because this flies in the face what we’ve been conditioned to do for other devices. Often your phone, tablet or laptop will demand to be plugged in before proceeding with a major system update.

·
Registered
9 Posts
NEWBIE QUESTION: How did you all find out about this August update? I got my car in June. Have received no email or snail mail from Volvo about an update. Nor have I received any notification on the Sensus system in the car. Does anyone have any suggestion about what I should do to find the update? Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
149 Posts
NEWBIE QUESTION: How did you all find out about this August update? I got my car in June. Have received no email or snail mail from Volvo about an update. Nor have I received any notification on the Sensus system in the car. Does anyone have any suggestion about what I should do to find the update? Thanks in advance for any help.
EDIT: wait, you mentioned "Sensus"... Was that a slip, or are you in the wrong forum?

I'm not certain why you haven't received an email, but I wonder if you fall into one of these scenario's:
  1. Maybe your car already has the June update (done at the dealer just before you picked it up)
    • I think some other people on this forum have a similar situation. (I'd expect it will be offered at some point soon)
  2. Or, maybe your car Volvo ID registration is not complete:
    • check that you can log into their Volvo ID website (and verify your information)
    • check that the car has the same Volvo ID account signed in (shown in accounts menu).
    • check and enable privacy options (I presume that they won't be able to update your car via OTA unless you let them see your car data)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Nor have I received any notification on the Sensus system in the car.
If your car uses the Sensus OS, you’re in the wrong place. This forum is for the XC40 Recharge all-electric model - which uses the Android Automotive OS, not Sensus. Our OTA updates are a totally different thing from the Sensus OS found in gas-powered cars.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wondering now if this is why my Infotainment GPS and wifi are all dead. I scheduled a pickup for my car tomorrow

·
Registered
2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge
28 Posts
Call your dealer. There was an August 2021 update that included many changes. The Sirius XM software will be another update.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts