Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge P8
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received an email from Sirius XM Canada welcoming me to my 3-month FREE trail, & there was an end date & an account #. The email says that I can now start using SIRIUS XM in my 2021 Volvo XC40. I set up the account & installed the app on my computer & smartphone - all good. When it came to the car, the XM app is not installed, & the app cannot be downloaded from the Google Play Store. Nice lady at XM Canada support centre knew which car I have & was surprised that the app was not on board. She said they could mail me an XM radio device for about $24 - - this device would plug into the 12 volt socket - - well that's not FREE, so I said no. Now I am asking the dealer if they will install the app for me - - no reply yet.
It really seems disorganized & disjointed for SIRIUS XM to send an email telling me I have started a 3-month FREE trial & that it is ready to go in my 2021 Volvo XC40, when clearly the car is NOT ready for it. Volvo & SIRIUS XM need to get their poop in a group - soon !!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I got a letter from SiriusXM that explained that while my car had the hardware, the software wasn't ready yet, so Volvo was giving me a 12 month free trial. The catch is that it is an All Access trial, but only streaming until an update later on that gets the hardware in the car working.

I stream from the app on my phone, but it would be nice to have an app in the Google Play Store that could be installed in the car.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge P8
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since the XM app for Android Automotive OS isn’t expected to be released until Q3 2021, then no - your dealer cannot install it for you.

My dealer was very clear with me the XM car app was not yet released.
Strange that the SIRIUS XM radio email states clearly that my free trial has started & that it is ready to go in my 2021 Volvo XC40.
There is a glaring disjoint between XM & Volvo.
My dealer also said that XM would be coming later, so why would XM tell me today that it's ready - in my Volvo ?

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge P8
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The SIRIUS XM support centre knew exactly which car I had - the XC40 recharge. They were surprised that the XM app was not installed & that was the problem.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My dealership was also very clear that Sirius/XM was not yet available/functional for the Recharge when I bought it -- in fact, I had to sign a paper with a list of the features that are not yet available.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I received an email from Sirius XM Canada welcoming me to my 3-month FREE trail, & there was an end date & an account #. The email says that I can now start using SIRIUS XM in my 2021 Volvo XC40. I set up the account & installed the app on my computer & smartphone - all good. When it came to the car, the XM app is not installed, & the app cannot be downloaded from the Google Play Store. Nice lady at XM Canada support centre knew which car I have & was surprised that the app was not on board. She said they could mail me an XM radio device for about $24 - - this device would plug into the 12 volt socket - - well that's not FREE, so I said no. Now I am asking the dealer if they will install the app for me - - no reply yet.
It really seems disorganized & disjointed for SIRIUS XM to send an email telling me I have started a 3-month FREE trial & that it is ready to go in my 2021 Volvo XC40, when clearly the car is NOT ready for it. Volvo & SIRIUS XM need to get their poop in a group - soon !!
I just rec'd that email from SiriusXM as well - my understanding is that Volvo will not be providing activating software until late 2021 - so the free three months will be useless - have a dealer appointment tomorrow so will ask about this.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I think there are 2 different things that we're waiting for? Not sure if we're getting both, or just #2:

1) native Sirius XM satellite reception using built-in hardware & satellite antenna. This would depend on Volvo updating the car software, not just some app in the Google Play Store. Should work everywhere you can see the satellites. Seems like this is late 2021 at best, if its happening at all.

2) a Sirius XM internet streaming app for Android Automative OS, similar to what's already available on phones. Should be deliverable thru Google Play Store. Really not much different from existing Spotify app, which allows me to link my car to existing Spotify subscription/account. Biggest drawback is no service in places without cellular internet coverage. Not clear when this is available - per original post, perhaps SiriusXM thinks this should be here already?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think there are 2 different things that we're waiting for? Not sure if we're getting both, or just #2:

1) native Sirius XM satellite reception using built-in hardware & satellite antenna. This would depend on Volvo updating the car software, not just some app in the Google Play Store. Should work everywhere you can see the satellites. Seems like this is late 2021 at best, if its happening at all.

2) a Sirius XM internet streaming app for Android Automative OS, similar to what's already available on phones. Should be deliverable thru Google Play Store. Really not much different from existing Spotify app, which allows me to link my car to existing Spotify subscription/account. Biggest drawback is no service in places without cellular internet coverage. Not clear when this is available - per original post, perhaps SiriusXM thinks this should be here already?
My car has a SiriusXM radio ID, which tells me we are getting a software update that uses that hardware, your #1. It would be nice to have an app we could install for streaming, your #2.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hardware-based Sirius XM is not up and running yet, planned for later this year/early next, once the software side of getting it to work is sorted out. In the meantime, Volvo/Sirius offered to extend the normal 3-month trial to 1 year to compensate. When I went to add this to my account, it was a challenge to get the Sirius sales rep to do what needed to be done. She insisted that my car has SiriusXM hardware, and I just need to go to the car and verify the code. I insisted that I understand that, but our car’s hardware is not online yet, and you just need to modify my existing account (was paying for a previous car that I sold for the XC40). After much persistence, she went and found the information that she needed showing our cars are “special cases”. In the end, I now have 1 year of free Sirius XM (end date, April 2022) available only through phone streaming. Of course I can only use that by playing it through my phone connected via Bluetooth. I would not expect to see a SiriusXM App in the car until it is ready to go through on-board hardware. Having a separate App for LTE streaming would confuse the issue for the consumer.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I contacted SeriusXM though their website once I saw the email. Informed them that I did not initiate the request and asked them to cancel it, and remove all my info from their systems. Took a few days, but they were good about acknowledging it and said they would remove the account. Haven’t heard from them since.

I am giving it some time, but I’m also going to send a note to Volvo that I don’t appreciate them initiating this when they know full well the vehicle doesn’t work. Extremely poor handling on their end. Not to mention I don’t want Serius anyway.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue
261 Posts
In Volvo's defense -- every other car I've bought in the last decade came with SiriusXM activated for a 3-month "trial". Volvo knew it wasn't going to be ready for in-car use so they made a deal with Sirius to extend the offer to one year, which I appreciate. I'm not the biggest fan of SiriusXM's business practices so I never bothered to renew any subscriptions and probably won't with the XC40. But I do appreciate that there's a one-year subscription, even if it's just streaming for now.

·
Registered
113 Posts
In Volvo's defense -- every other car I've bought in the last decade came with SiriusXM activated for a 3-month "trial". Volvo knew it wasn't going to be ready for in-car use so they made a deal with Sirius to extend the offer to one year, which I appreciate. I'm not the biggest fan of SiriusXM's business practices so I never bothered to renew any subscriptions and probably won't with the XC40. But I do appreciate that there's a one-year subscription, even if it's just streaming for now.
Mine was only 3 months. No extensions provided.

My previous vehicles left it to me to activate. I’ve never done it, but I was provided everything I would need. Volvo should also be well aware of Sirius business practices and ask before signing their customers up for things. I know they are trying to be convenient, but data privacy and security aren’t things Volvo can afford to take lightly.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Volvo should also be well aware of Sirius business practices and ask before signing their customers up for things. I know they are trying to be convenient, but data privacy and security aren’t things Volvo can afford to take lightly.
At the time of delivery, I requested the Finance Manager to have SXM not activate the trial. He said he would try but it was not easy dealing with them even by the dealer. However, it must have worked because so far I've had no communications of any sort from Sirius.

·
Registered
2021 XC 40 Recharge
3 Posts
I decided to accept the Sirius XM Onyx mobile package for about $23.00. Canadian. I also ordered from Amazon, a USB C to stereo mini female adaptor to tie it into the XC40 Recharge as I don’t see any simple audio input to the system. This included 3 months free subscription with this kit. I can stream now my iPhone as a media player with Sirius XM on line but of course this uses data roaming. Sirius XM Canada also put the Volvo three month subscription on hold to activate when the firmware is updated. I may decide to slip the Onyx into the house afterwards with a 5V AC adaptor or maybe the boom box adaptor. This can be cancelled at any time. I hope the USB C adaptor works.
😬

1 - 20 of 33 Posts