Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve got the car set to tilt the mirrors down when backing up in the settings - but it only does it what seems like randomly.
Car is parked, put in reverse and nothing happens. Put in drive, then reverse, the mirrors tilt. Anyone else have this issue? We park in a driveway that necessitates their use - wondering if it just won’t work when starting from park?

· Registered
403 Posts
Our 22 Recharge is parked in a driveway, have to back out anytime we want to use the car, have never had a problem with the mirrors unfolding once we put it into reverse.

· Registered
545 Posts
Our 22 Recharge is parked in a driveway, have to back out anytime we want to use the car, have never had a problem with the mirrors unfolding once we put it into reverse.
This isn't an issue related to unfolding. You can opt to have the mirror glass tilt so you can more easily see curbs, etc. at ground level when the car is in reverse.

· Registered
549 Posts
So I’ve got the car set to tilt the mirrors down when backing up in the settings - but it only does it what seems like randomly.
Car is parked, put in reverse and nothing happens. Put in drive, then reverse, the mirrors tilt. Anyone else have this issue? We park in a driveway that necessitates their use - wondering if it just won’t work when starting from park?
I've had this happen but not always. It seems like the car wants to be on/running sometimes before that feature works. Since we back into our garage -- we always leave forward so non issue. But sometimes when leaving a store, about 10% of the time, the tilt mirrors dont engage (just as you described). Oddly, as you noted, entering D and then R again, it works. So strange...

Another thing I've learned is that if you drive too fast in reverse, the mirror "un" tilt -- apparently I reverse up our driveway faster than my wife, since it happens to me sometimes but never her :p

· Registered
142 Posts
This happens quite frequently on my car. I've noticed if I press the brake pedal, wait a second or two, and then shift to reverse, they tilt properly. But if I immediately shift to reverse they often tend not to tilt.

· Registered
403 Posts
Exactly. Mirrors unfold fine.
My bad, I forgot about the mirrors tilt feature. Just got back from a short trip, enabled mirrors tilt before putting the car into reverse. First time backing up the mirrors tilted as soon as I put her into reverse, later stopped and locked the car to go into our local FedEx center, got back into the car, went into reverse, and nothing, mirrors didn't tilt until I went into drive, then back into reverse.

Side note, this reminded me why I initially turned off the feature, I like the option to have the passenger's mirror tilt when backing up, but definitely do not like the driver's mirror to tilt. Interesting that I have a Ford Fusion Hybrid and BMW 435 with this feature, but they each only tilt the passenger's mirror, not the driver's mirror. Just my opinion, no right or wrong here.

· Registered
784 Posts
My bad, I forgot about the mirrors tilt feature. Just got back from a short trip, enabled mirrors tilt before putting the car into reverse. First time backing up the mirrors tilted as soon as I put her into reverse, later stopped and locked the car to go into our local FedEx center, got back into the car, went into reverse, and nothing, mirrors didn't tilt until I went into drive, then back into reverse.

Side note, this reminded me why I initially turned off the feature, I like the option to have the passenger's mirror tilt when backing up, but definitely do not like the driver's mirror to tilt. Interesting that I have a Ford Fusion Hybrid and BMW 435 with this feature, but they each only tilt the passenger's mirror, not the driver's mirror. Just my opinion, no right or wrong here.
I agree regarding just having passenger mirror tilt - Has a 2019 XC40 ICE and that is the way it worked - but on the Recharge both tilt - so as a result I do not use the tilt feature and rely on the 360 camera.

· Registered
'22 XC40 Recharge Ultimate
111 Posts
I have a Ford Fusion Hybrid and BMW 435 with this feature, but they each only tilt the passenger's mirror, not the driver's mirror. Just my opinion, no right or wrong here.
My Volkswagen Atlas also tilt's just the passenger's mirror, which I like. I have a fairly steep driveway to back down and don't feel comfortable with both mirrors being tilted down. I prefer the driver's mirror to stay up so that I can look for children running around or cars coming up the street.

I wish there was some way to have the 360 camera activate by default in reverse instead of just showing the rear-mounted camera's view. It would also be nice if pressing the camera icon on the bottom of the screen would immediately launch 360 mode...

· Registered
784 Posts
My Volkswagen Atlas also tilt's just the passenger's mirror, which I like. I have a fairly steep driveway to back down and don't feel comfortable with both mirrors being tilted down. I prefer the driver's mirror to stay up so that I can look for children running around or cars coming up the street.

I wish there was some way to have the 360 camera activate by default in reverse instead of just showing the rear-mounted camera's view. It would also be nice if pressing the camera icon on the bottom of the screen would immediately launch 360 mode...
Hmmm - whenever we put it in reverse we have the 360 view and not just the rear view - will have to see if that is something we had to set up or exactly how it was activated and stays in that view.

· Registered
'22 XC40 Recharge Ultimate
111 Posts
Hmmm - whenever we put it in reverse we have the 360 view and not just the rear view - will have to see if that is something we had to set up or exactly how it was activated and stays in that view.
Oh, that's what I want! Please let me know if there's some way I can make mine do that.

It seems mine comes on whenever I’m backing up AND I’m close to something.
I see that my 360 camera comes on when I pull into my garage. Perhaps because there are lots of proximity alerts on both sides & the front of the vehicle? But the 360 seems to turn off before I get far enough into my garage to touch the precision-calibrated tennis ball-on-a-string that tells me where to stop. Weird...

Thanks everybody for your comments and suggestions!

· Registered
316 Posts
Oh, that's what I want! Please let me know if there's some way I can make mine do that.

I see that my 360 camera comes on when I pull into my garage. Perhaps because there are lots of proximity alerts on both sides & the front of the vehicle? But the 360 seems to turn off before I get far enough into my garage to touch the precision-calibrated tennis ball-on-a-string that tells me where to stop. Weird...

I've used the tennis ball on a string previously, but came up with a better way. On the floor in front of the car I placed a 2x4 about 6 feet long against the wall, then I attached two legs to a 4x4 about the same length. The legs keep the spacing from the wall to the we 4x4. I drive until the wheels contact the 4x4. I can use an impact driver and a few deck screws to precision adjust my parking position.

· Registered
784 Posts

So I did some testing today - on the main screen on the bottom there is a camera icon - press that and the cameras turn on - you can press the left side, right side, front and rear - so if you press the rear camera it shows strictly the rear view in the lower half of the screen - above that is black and it shows a 360 degree icon - press that and you go back to the 360 view - I put the car in reverse and the view stays in 360 - put car in drive - drive forward camera shuts off - stop put car in reverse and we have the 360 view when backing up. I do not see anywhere in settings where a particular view can be set.
It seems to me once a person has selected the 360 view that is the view that remains as the default every time we move the gear selector to reverse.
The only other thing I can think of that may cause the car camera to always default to just the rear view is that it might be possible that it is country specific based on legislation.

· Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
1,191 Posts
The only other thing I can think of that may cause the car camera to always default to just the rear view is that it might be possible that it is country specific based on legislation.
Yes, as noted in the other threads: the US version of the Recharge always shows rear-only camera by default (unless temporarily over-ridden by parking/proxmity sensor). For other countries, it appears to remember user camera preference.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.