Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
XC40 Recharge Twin
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm in an area of BC (Canada) where the Volvo selected wireless provider (Rogers) doesn't have good coverage. I'm trying to share my phone's connection so the car can "see" the internet but I'm not having much luck. I tried connecting the phone to share the connection and the car can plan a route out but it can't seem to find any charging locations enroute.

Has anyone else had this problem and have a solution?

·
Registered
XC40 Recharge Twin
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How are you "sharing"? I just turn on wifi hotspot on my phone and my car can simply connect to that wifi and everything works. Its dead simple.
I was sharing via bluetooth (the far right icon on the screen for a connected phone). I will try the wifi and see if that works.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
499 Posts
I did try that - sharing an internet but did not improve the behavior I was having - google assistant taking long time to respond. I am with Telus. I used phone as an wi-fi hot spot. Rogers are not bad but Telus are better for coverage.

·
Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
1,041 Posts
So tried wifi and it worked. Not sure why it wouldn't work via bluetooth but lesson learned.
Bluetooth just shares the phone's audio (eg, hands-free calling & music) with the car, not an actual internet connection as far as I know.

·
Registered
XC40 Recharge Twin
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sharing phone internet obviously will not improve anything if your mobile connectivity is also bad in that area.
Unfortunately the provider Volvo chose for Canada (Rogers) has terrible coverage in my area compared to my own cell phone provider (Telus). So I have great coverage on my phone in the place I'm vacationing right now (New Denver, BC) but no Rogers coverage at all.

·
Registered
XC40 Recharge Twin
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wrong. You can share internet too through Bluetooth. Just enable share internet in your Bluetooth settings of car and your phone.
I can only say bluetooth sharing (that I enabled in the car and phone settings) didn't work for the vehicle seeing the internet and wifi did.

·
Registered
Dead '22 XC40 Pure Elec.
49 Posts
Sharing internet through bluetooth is THE WORST. Bluetooth bandwidth is incredibly limited.

Create a wifi hotspot with your phone and connect your car to the wifi. Make sure you turn off "internet connection sharing" via bluetooth. Use bluetooth for the phone calls & contacts sync, but use wifi for everything else.

I had bluetooth connected for internet in my V60 loaner that I've got at the moment and it was laggy as ****. The V60 is using the older Sensus software but after fiddling around I got it connected to my wifi hotspot and I created this Bixby routine where when the bluetooth connects, it turns on my hotspot (which the car will then automatically connect to). Everytime I get in the car now I'm all up and running in 15 seconds. I need to do this because they haven't enabled the eSIM in the loan car - so hotspotting my phone is the only way I can get stuff to work.

Reactions: 340driver

·
Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
1,041 Posts
Sorry, yes - looks like you CAN share a phone's internet connection via Bluetooth (aka "bluetooth tethering").

But why? Wi-Fi is like 10 times faster (or more) than Bluetooth. So if the car doesn't have cell reception, but your phone does - then use your phone's Wi-Fi Hotspot for this scenario.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
365 Posts
Thank you DreamensioN , I have had bluetooth tethering setup since I got this car last June, but now following your instructions under bluetooth I now only select phone out of the 3 choices I've available and now see the WIFI symbol at the top of the center display, yeah!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts