Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We haven't backed into anything. It's possible that someone might have bumped the car while it was parked but I've felt around and there are no scratches. I tried to push up on the trim to see if it would snap into place but no luck. Dare I say that my car has developed a visible "butt crack". Anyone else?
Automotive tail & brake light Car Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive tire
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Grille Automotive tire Automotive lighting

· Registered
9 Posts
Could have been from a bump from another car (but no obvious marks). Also may have been 90% of the way clipped in, but now that its been driven, slowly worked its way loose.

Looks like it should clip back in no problem. These can be tough to just push back in, sometimes you need to hold the other half of the bumper insert its being pushed into from behind. If you give it a good whack it may pop in, but if you aren't comfortable doing that, I'm sure the dealer can pop it back in at your next service.

· Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
569 Posts
How did you find that? Did you hear something. Something happened there. Do you have tow bar installed?
Volvo having trim separations is very unlikely. I have seen countless Volvos and none had trim separation issues with exception of the trims around the windshield and still problem arise once the windshield was replaced.
It seems like position fix pin and not actual clip. Push it back in.
Personally I will not worry about trim problems on that car..neither on my 16yo old one XC90 (RIP) nor my 2009 XC90.. Never had or seems problems like these unless force was used.

· Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
569 Posts
By he way, for easy push back (if you want to do it yourself) heat the plastic with hair dryer to soften it. It will be one or two ideas easier. Do not use screwdrivers or metal shims. Use painters tape (if you want) one or two lawers on the the shining part to protect it from scratches.

· Registered
4,154 Posts
We haven't backed into anything. It's possible that someone might have bumped the car while it was parked but I've felt around and there are no scratches. I tried to push up on the trim to see if it would snap into place but no luck. Dare I say that my car has developed a visible "butt crack". Anyone else? View attachment 1899 View attachment 1900
Did it experience the heat bloom of the summer? If it was me I would drop by service and ask If they could snap it back into place as I a craptastic at fixing things (other than with duck tape).

Good luck

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I finally took the car in for service for the recall issues. I'm at about 1 year of use and just under 10,000 miles. Nothing major has failed in the car. During my time two plastic pieces detached from their locations: an air "duct" that is normally under the driver's seat and a small trim piece (rhomboid? in shape) that's just around the rear air vents on the driver's side.
I asked them to take a look at the plastic piece under the bumper and they agreed to replace it under warranty.
It seems like the bumper trim doesn't fit as tightly as the original piece but at least the big gap is gone. Instead I have a smaller gap over a longer section :). Maybe someone can figure out the function for the gap and do an integral to get the gap area to compare with the old gap.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Grille Automotive tail & brake light Trunk

· Registered
58 Posts
I have the exact same issue on my XC40. Rear trim piece is popped out on the drivers side at the corner just like yours. I was planning to ask the dealer to fix it when I went in for my first service.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts