Volvo XC40 Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yes...includes everything including installation, but it says "single storey home only"...so I imagine if you had a 2-storey or more complicated roof that required multiple strings of panels, or tilt frames, it would be somewhat more. The volumes of installations in AUS are so high that the cost has really come down. I believe there is still ~$2000 in rebates from state and federal gov't here depending on where you live, but that would have already been factored into the $1999 price.
That's truly wild. I wonder if these are government subsidized rates being passed on by manufacturers/installers or something. That's half the size of my array, and costs $2K while mine was nearly $40K. WILD!

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
1,134 Posts
That's truly wild. I wonder if these are government subsidized rates being passed on by manufacturers/installers or something. That's half the size of my array, and costs $2K while mine was nearly $40K. WILD!
I think it's just the huge volumes of solar installs here, plus most of the panels and possibly inverters would be Chinese-made, and China is closer to us, plus AUS has a free-trade agreement with China, so that helps too.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I think it's just the huge volumes of solar installs here, plus most of the panels and possibly inverters would be Chinese-made, and China is closer to us, plus AUS has a free-trade agreement with China, so that helps too.
That makes sense. I refused to use Chinese panels because if something goes wrong, I want to call the engineers or whoever and actually be able to talk with them. Silfab had zero issues connecting me to their national head and answered all of my questions, hence I went with their panels. SMA inverters are German, but are kindof ubiquitous.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I finance 3rd party. The dealer has zero to do with my car's financing. I am simply locked into buying the car, and they don't care how. I have a good relationship with my CU, and secured 3.74% for up to 75mo with them about 2 weeks ago, I believe. They didn't even verify my income, just gave me the loan/% and when I told t hem the car was on a boat, and may not be in for 4-6 weeks, they told me it didn't matter, they were rate locking me for 45 days and would extend at current offer, if necessary. This is the kind of relationship you need to cultivate, IMO. Find a GOOD CU, and stick with them for life. I've bought all of my cars through this place, and will continue to do so. Toyota Motor Company beat them by a fraction of a percent one time and I still went with MY CU.
Wonderful, thank you for the advice. We do currently use BECU here in WA state and we use them for everything. I'll call the GM there as I know him very well.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
1,134 Posts
That makes sense. I refused to use Chinese panels because if something goes wrong, I want to call the engineers or whoever and actually be able to talk with them. Silfab had zero issues connecting me to their national head and answered all of my questions, hence I went with their panels. SMA inverters are German, but are kindof ubiquitous.
Yeah I can see how if you're paying that much for a system you want to make sure it's a good one. Here it's more like a commodity (or maybe appliance?) so we don't worry that much knowing there's a good (?) warranty and the price is low. We do have an ABB inverter on the house system, but the shed system has a Chinese inverter. No problems yet! :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yeah I can see how if you're paying that much for a system you want to make sure it's a good one. Here it's more like a commodity (or maybe appliance?) so we don't worry that much knowing there's a good (?) warranty and the price is low. We do have an ABB inverter on the house system, but the shed system has a Chinese inverter. No problems yet! :)
Everything I buy, I try to make sure is the best possible within the constraints of budget and application. Hence for EV under $65k USD, Volvo.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Not news for those of you who have been on top of the IRA. I've been under a rock, apparently.

Looking over the rules, the 2023 Volvo C40 Recharge DEFINITELY DOES NOT qualify for any of the currently available federal tax credits. Bummer. The list of qualifying vehicles is a lot shorter than the list of newly disqualified units, which, by the way, includes many of the economical EVs that average folks might have been able to afford. Eh.

Upside: I might get $50 from Idaho for my new induction range which is one of the more remarkable pieces of tech I have ever had the pleasure of using. Induction is highly recommended if you're looking to replace a range or cooktop.

Which Cars Definitely Won’t Qualify for the New EV Tax Credit?
These current and upcoming EVs (and two fuel-cell vehicles) are not made in North America and therefore won’t qualify for a tax credit, although that might change in the future if their assembly location changes.

·
Registered
2022 Volvo C40 Fjord Blue Pure Electric Recharge Ultimat
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Not news for those of you who have been on top of the IRA. I've been under a rock, apparently.

Looking over the rules, the 2023 Volvo C40 Recharge DEFINITELY DOES NOT qualify for any of the currently available federal tax credits. Bummer. The list of qualifying vehicles is a lot shorter than the list of newly disqualified units, which, by the way, includes many of the economical EVs that average folks might have been able to afford. Eh.

Upside: I might get $50 from Idaho for my new induction range which is one of the more remarkable pieces of tech I have ever had the pleasure of using. Induction is highly recommended if you're looking to replace a range or cooktop.

These current and upcoming EVs (and two fuel-cell vehicles) are not made in North America and therefore won’t qualify for a tax credit, although that might change in the future if their assembly location changes.

Although we don’t know which vehicles will meet the battery portion of the tax credit, these are the current and upcoming models made in North America with versions that cost less than the bill requires:
Of those vehicles, it remains to be seen which ones would meet the battery requirements. For example, the Chevrolet Bolt and its batteries are assembled in Michigan, so its qualification for a tax credit would be determined by which countries those battery minerals are sourced from. Other vehicles have cells that might be manufactured at multiple factories in different countries. “Once you have cells coming from two different places, how do you figure out the qualification?" Because their prices are above $55,000, the Cadillac Lyriq and Tesla Model Y would qualify only if they are classified as SUVs and not station wagons, and if buyers don’t choose options that bring the price over $80,000. For some vehicles, the credit might only be partial. “I’m thinking that maybe the Tesla Model 3 and Y would qualify for half of the $7,500 credit under the battery components requirement but not likely the minerals requirement,” says Loren McDonald of EV Adoption, an electric vehicle research, analysis, and marketing firm.

In addition, regardless of where they are assembled, these vehicles are too expensive and will not qualify for any tax credit:
EV Tax Credit Details in the Inflation Reduction Act
• New electric and fuel-cell vehicles will get a tax credit up to $7,500. Some plug-in hybrid vehicles will also continue to qualify.
• Only vehicles that cost below a certain amount will qualify. For SUVs, pickup trucks, and vans, the threshold is $80,000. For sedans, hatchbacks, wagons, and other vehicles, the credit cuts off at $55,000. (Read more about affordable EVs.)
• There will be no limit on the number of vehicles an automaker can sell that are eligible for the credit.
• Unlike in prior years, the exact amount of the new tax credit will depend on a complex set of calculations based on where the vehicles are assembled and where the materials that make up their batteries are sourced. These requirements get stricter each year through 2026. The bill calls for proposed regulations on the specifics of these requirements by the end of December, which will likely be finalized some time in 2023.
• Only vehicles assembled in North America will be eligible for a tax credit.
• The exclusion of vehicles with components from “foreign entities of concern,” including Russia and China, will go into effect Dec. 31, 2023.
• Starting in 2024, dealerships will be able to offer the value of a tax credit up front to consumers. This may simplify the process for car buyers.
• Car buyers must meet certain income guidelines. Households with an adjusted gross income up to $300,000 will still qualify for the credit, while heads of household must be below $225,000 and individual filers will qualify only with income below $150,000.
• For the first time, buyers of used EVs will get a tax credit: either $4,000 or 30 percent of the sale price of the vehicle—whichever is lower—but only if they buy a car from a dealership.
• The income threshold is lower for used EV buyers: $150,000 for joint filers, $112,500 for a head of household, or $75,000 for an individual.
• Bidirectional EV chargers—ones that can also power your house using the energy stored in your car’s battery—are now eligible for tax incentives.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What a joke that the credits are limited to cars built in NA. I have no issue with limiting the credit to vehicles made in the USA, but there's no reason to subsidize cars made in Canada or Mexico over other countries. Special interests win out over actually advancing the purported reason for the bill. How typical.

·
Registered
373 Posts
No, this was not the result of special interests. It was trying to keep it inside the bounds of existing treaties that prohibit subsidizing domestically produced goods.

https://www.eenews.net/articles/canada-mexico-to-challenge-bidens-ev-tax-boost/ said:
Negotiated under the Trump administration, the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) — or NAFTA 2.0 — effectively prohibits the United States from issuing subsidies for traded goods that favor domestic commodities over imported goods. The same prohibition is spelled out in World Trade Organization agreements.

·
Registered
6 Posts
No, this was not the result of special interests. It was trying to keep it inside the bounds of existing treaties that prohibit subsidizing domestically produced goods.
The Europeans seems to disagree. EU says US electric vehicle tax credit could break WTO rules | Federal News Network

It's hard to imagine manufacturers with factories in Canada and Mexico had nothing to do with it. Either way, the restriction will surely slow EV sales, especially over the next 2-3 years. How the EV tax credits in Democrats' climate bill could hurt electric vehicle sales

·
Registered
2022 Volvo C40 Fjord Blue Pure Electric Recharge Ultimat
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
The Europeans seems to disagree. EU says US electric vehicle tax credit could break WTO rules | Federal News Network

It's hard to imagine manufacturers with factories in Canada and Mexico had nothing to do with it. Either way, the restriction will surely slow EV sales, especially over the next 2-3 years. How the EV tax credits in Democrats' climate bill could hurt electric vehicle sales
I cannot wait for Volvo and Polestar to start cranking up their Ridgeville, SC plants for EX90 and Polestar 3. That in essence will drive up demand and supply hopefully for these EVs. I for one am in favor for USA based manufacturing and have been for a long time. I just love the Volvo brand for its high stewardship around safety. The 2004 XC90 2.5T I drove for 18 years was designed and built in Gothenburg and I was highly considering traveling there than to pickup my SUV, but plans didn’t materialize.

Even though the C40 was built in Belgium 🇧🇪, the Volvo brand bleeds of pride of ownership all around the world. It’s going to thrive and do well despite the inflation reduction act working against it for now. It will only promote healthy competition and increased awareness of its brand and popularity in the USA especially! Plus I hope I get to go to Ridgeville and pickup my dream next SUV - The EX90.

Planning to start saving now for my 2011 Nissan Quest upgrade over the next 2 years. I have already paid it down, so that’s a big relief.

#USABuiltEX90
#TwoYearstoSaveUp
#WorkHardPlayFHarder!

41 - 56 of 56 Posts