Volvo XC40 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would opine that the buyer's order I signed counts as pretty **** binding, and does include the VIN. In fact, this is legit one of the "scariest" buyer's orders I have signed. Once you ink it, it's going to court if you "want out". I secured my loan and locked my APR before I inked this.
View attachment 4513
This is interesting. I had a communication with our dealer last night about this and he stated that if we sign a Purchase Agreement, we are not locked in to a rate as it's just a commitment to buy the car, which my wife wants. He stated that we would still be able to look for financing when the car comes in.
What state are you in? I'm wondering if this is just from that dealership too?

·
Registered
191 Posts
This is interesting. I had a communication with our dealer last night about this and he stated that if we sign a Purchase Agreement, we are not locked in to a rate as it's just a commitment to buy the car, which my wife wants. He stated that we would still be able to look for financing when the car comes in.
What state are you in? I'm wondering if this is just from that dealership too?
I finance 3rd party. The dealer has zero to do with my car's financing. I am simply locked into buying the car, and they don't care how. I have a good relationship with my CU, and secured 3.74% for up to 75mo with them about 2 weeks ago, I believe. They didn't even verify my income, just gave me the loan/% and when I told t hem the car was on a boat, and may not be in for 4-6 weeks, they told me it didn't matter, they were rate locking me for 45 days and would extend at current offer, if necessary. This is the kind of relationship you need to cultivate, IMO. Find a GOOD CU, and stick with them for life. I've bought all of my cars through this place, and will continue to do so. Toyota Motor Company beat them by a fraction of a percent one time and I still went with MY CU.

·
Registered
2022 Volvo C40 Fjord Blue Pure Electric Recharge Ultimat
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Truthfully not really, we should be there in another 2-4 years. We are already talking about <10 minute DC fastcharging 10-80% times and 500+ mile ranges being currently feasible and in testing.
Let’s hope I am proven wrong and you are on the money! If you are not, I’ll hold you to your comments in 3 years! 😇☝

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I finance 3rd party. The dealer has zero to do with my car's financing. I am simply locked into buying the car, and they don't care how. I have a good relationship with my CU, and secured 3.74% for up to 75mo with them about 2 weeks ago, I believe. They didn't even verify my income, just gave me the loan/% and when I told t hem the car was on a boat, and may not be in for 4-6 weeks, they told me it didn't matter, they were rate locking me for 45 days and would extend at current offer, if necessary. This is the kind of relationship you need to cultivate, IMO. Find a GOOD CU, and stick with them for life. I've bought all of my cars through this place, and will continue to do so. Toyota Motor Company beat them by a fraction of a percent one time and I still went with MY CU.
Credit Unions are the best and I have a CU membership for the past 26+ years! I went with Volvo Cars Financing and they gave me a very good rate with a $1000 off my MSRP for being a Volvo loyalist. My entire dealership where I live was ecstatic when my Fjord Blue was delivered. Most everyone from Front Office to General Manager to the Service Dept took care of me/us and got the ready in less than 4 hours with delivery on the same day! 😌. Sincere Relationships matter and the way you treat people matters even more and that includes everyone in your Volvo dealership! Life is always a 2-way street!!☝

·
Registered
191 Posts
Let’s hope I am proven wrong and you are on the money! If you are not, I’ll hold you to your comments in 3 years! 😇☝
Kia already has 18 minute 0-80% charge times, 3rd party verified, and Lucid Air has 500+ mile range, again, 3rd party verified. This is from Kia and some start-up company, currently "available" (as in real, production cars, not "I can go buy it right this second because it's sitting on the lot", of course).

·
Registered
191 Posts
Credit Unions are the best and I have a CU membership for the past 26+ years! I went with Volvo Cars Financing and they gave me a very good rate with a $1000 off my MSRP for being a Volvo loyalist. My entire dealership where I live was ecstatic when my Fjord Blue was delivered. Most everyone from Front Office to General Manager to the Service Dept took care of me/us and got the ready in less than 4 hours with delivery on the same day! 😌. Sincere Relationships matter and the way you treat people matters even more and that includes everyone in your Volvo dealership! Life is always a 2-way street!!☝
That is why I don't haggle over cars or trades much. If the price/cost discussion takes more than 10 minutes (not counting research time by the GM to find market values in the area, etc. which can take a bit sometimes), then I either buy then/there, or decline. I refuse to beat a dealership/sales rep up, if I AT ALL might EVER be back for service there. I used to sell cars for a living.

As to color, I wish I had been able to score Fjord. I did get the Fjord interior, but ended up with white exterior. I have legit never seen a Crystal White Metallic Volvo in person though, so I have no clue how it looks. I just know my last 2 cars have been white, so I hope I like it, as well, lol! I've owned 4 white cars. It really tears me up, but I don't have a photo of my P71 crown vic that my grandpa and father and I built in the driveway. Probably the "worst" car I've owned, but also my favorite, and I miss it and would pay cash for it in a heartbeat if I ever saw it again. Whole lot in between, but these are my white cars:

Graduation Present (From me, to me), Circa 2011:
Car Wheel Tire Cloud Land vehicle

Fiscally Responsible Choice, Circa 2021:
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky

I Hate How Being Responsible Drives, Circa 2022:
Wheel Sky Tire Car Vehicle

Maybe I Can Have Both? (Stock Photo, NOT MY CAR), Circa 2022:
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Grille

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
1,134 Posts
That is why I don't haggle over cars or trades much. If the price/cost discussion takes more than 10 minutes (not counting research time by the GM to find market values in the area, etc. which can take a bit sometimes), then I either buy then/there, or decline. I refuse to beat a dealership/sales rep up, if I AT ALL might EVER be back for service there. I used to sell cars for a living.

As to color, I wish I had been able to score Fjord. I did get the Fjord interior, but ended up with white exterior. I have legit never seen a Crystal White Metallic Volvo in person though, so I have no clue how it looks. I just know my last 2 cars have been white, so I hope I like it, as well, lol! I've owned 4 white cars. It really tears me up, but I don't have a photo of my P71 crown vic that my grandpa and father and I built in the driveway. Probably the "worst" car I've owned, but also my favorite, and I miss it and would pay cash for it in a heartbeat if I ever saw it again. Whole lot in between, but these are my white cars:

View attachment 4524
View attachment 4525
View attachment 4526
View attachment 4527
Nice - is that your home solar array?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

View attachment 4524
View attachment 4525
View attachment 4526
View attachment 4527
The last pic. gave me a nice heart ❤ thumping beat. The white corvette looks bad ass! I have adored the Corvettes (especially in red, blue and yellow colors). Awesome share and I love how you respect the color white in its entirety! 😌☝

·
Registered
191 Posts
The last pic. gave me a nice heart ❤ thumping beat. The white corvette looks bad ass! I have adored the Corvettes (especially in red, blue and yellow colors). Awesome share and I love how you respect the color white in its entirety! 😌☝
When I was in highschool, I always wanted a Viper, but I dreamed I was driving a Corvette one night. A white one, no less, even though at the time I detested white cars, as I grew up pretty much only having them in my family, in the form of broken down old cop cars purchased cheap. no AC's, slurring transmissions, etc. I grew up relatively not well-off (government apartment complex in a bad town, food stamps, later as a young adult out of HS, I lost 20# in a 3mo period because I could not afford to eat, that sort of stuff. Not that my whole childhood was like that, but some of it sure was), but I am a lucky guy, and a smart guy, and I had a plan and made it happen. So I bought the Z06 instead of the Viper because of a dream I had when I was in highschool living with my grandparents.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
12.95kW in panelling, 11.40kW in inverter. You over-panel a bit rather than over-inverter, for sake of system efficiency.
Nice. We have 2 systems...one on shed (garage) and one on house, both grid connected. Where we are we can only put 5 kW back into the grid so our inverters are limited to 5 kW...but I think we have about 5.2 kW of panels. Can't recall exactly. I do know that over the years prior to getting the XC40EV we have fed about 2x into the grid as what we've drawn from it (and that's with our EV converted Volvo 240), so we're still way ahead. Sadly the feed-in tariff is quite low so it pays to use when the sun's shining as they only pay about 6 cents per kWh vs. usage charges are about 9 cents EV night rate (midnight to 4 AM), 19 cents off peak and 29 cents peak (3 PM to 9 PM)...all in AUD...battery system doesn't make financial sense at the moment but would be nice for backup purposes.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Nice. We have 2 systems...one on shed (garage) and one on house, both grid connected. Where we are we can only put 5 kW back into the grid so our inverters are limited to 5 kW...but I think we have about 5.2 kW of panels. Can't recall exactly. I do know that over the years prior to getting the XC40EV we have fed about 2x into the grid as what we've drawn from it (and that's with our EV converted Volvo 240), so we're still way ahead. Sadly the feed-in tariff is quite low so it pays to use when the sun's shining as they only pay about 6 cents per kWh vs. usage charges are about 9 cents EV night rate (midnight to 4 AM), 19 cents off peak and 29 cents peak (3 PM to 9 PM)...all in AUD...battery system doesn't make financial sense at the moment but would be nice for backup purposes.
Where I live, we have net metering. What this means is that I put back into the system and pull from the system at a 1:1 pay rate. At the end of the month, any overage I put into the system is bought from me in the form of credits at a rate of something like 5:1 or some abysmal rate. Regardless, for a $27.91 monthly meter fee (39.32 AUD), that's as good as having a battery! My rates are a hair under $0.12kWh USD, which translates to 0.17 AUD.

I would really like to install a battery in my garage and direct feed from it, into the car, and solar from it to the battery, and considering that I am nocturnal, this may well work, but I also don't know if I can charge AND discharge that type of battery at those rates (7-8kw out, 3-5kw in) without damage. Regardless, since we are net metering, the need to do this is purely because it would be neat, and not a functional need.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Where I live, we have net metering. What this means is that I put back into the system and pull from the system at a 1:1 pay rate. At the end of the month, any overage I put into the system is bought from me in the form of credits at a rate of something like 5:1 or some abysmal rate. Regardless, for a $27.91 monthly meter fee (39.32 AUD), that's as good as having a battery! My rates are a hair under $0.12kWh USD, which translates to 0.17 AUD.

I would really like to install a battery in my garage and direct feed from it, into the car, and solar from it to the battery, and considering that I am nocturnal, this may well work, but I also don't know if I can charge AND discharge that type of battery at those rates (7-8kw out, 3-5kw in) without damage. Regardless, since we are net metering, the need to do this is purely because it would be neat, and not a functional need.
Yep net metering here too. It sounds like we get about the same deal as you on what we feed in (overage as you call it) - we pay ~20 cents per kWh off peak, and we get paid about 6 cents per kWh for what we feed in, so yeah, a bit better than 4:1. Early on, when they were trying to encourage people to install solar panels, they offered a 10-year feed-in rate of 66 cents per kWh...which was great, but back then a 2 kW system cost like $12K AUD after the $10K government rebate (at the time). Now you can probably get a 5 kW system for less than $5K AUD after the rebate (~$2-3K). I think about 30% of households have solar systems on their homes. It doesn't take too long to pay back...battery system on the other hand we looked at and the payback period was going to be something like 15-20 years (I haven't looked at it for a while - just going on memory).

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yep net metering here too. It sounds like we get about the same deal as you on what we feed in (overage as you call it) - we pay ~20 cents per kWh off peak, and we get paid about 6 cents per kWh for what we feed in, so yeah, a bit better than 4:1. Early on, when they were trying to encourage people to install solar panels, they offered a 10-year feed-in rate of 66 cents per kWh...which was great, but back then a 2 kW system cost like $12K AUD after the $10K government rebate (at the time). Now you can probably get a 5 kW system for less than $5K AUD after the rebate (~$2-3K). I think about 30% of households have solar systems on their homes. It doesn't take too long to pay back...battery system on the other hand we looked at and the payback period was going to be something like 15-20 years (I haven't looked at it for a while - just going on memory).
I went with 12.95kW of North American made monocrystalline panels. (Silfab), and SMA inverters (5.0 and 6.0). Total cost installed was $36K and tax credit was 30% of that, USD. I am currently paying about $1000/year more than I was prior to installing solar, but that will change when energy costs rise, etc. and the panels are warrantied for 30 years of production, 25 years of defect-free. Silfab has been around for decades and makes great product. It was a move to stabilize cost over the years, not show immediate gain. I financed them for 20 years at 2.99%.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I went with 12.95kW of North American made monocrystalline panels. (Silfab), and SMA inverters (5.0 and 6.0). Total cost installed was $36K and tax credit was 30% of that, USD. I am currently paying about $1000/year more than I was prior to installing solar, but that will change when energy costs rise, etc. and the panels are warrantied for 30 years of production, 25 years of defect-free. Silfab has been around for decades and makes great product. It was a move to stabilize cost over the years, not show immediate gain. I financed them for 20 years at 2.99%.
I was a little off on pricing of new solar systems in Australia - just saw an ad for $1999AUD for 6.6 kW system (after gov't rebate)...wow, no wonder we have so many systems on houses here!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
That's insanely cheap! Does that include install, inverters, panels, everything?!
Yes...includes everything including installation, but it says "single storey home only"...so I imagine if you had a 2-storey or more complicated roof that required multiple strings of panels, or tilt frames, it would be somewhat more. The volumes of installations in AUS are so high that the cost has really come down. I believe there is still ~$2000 in rebates from state and federal gov't here depending on where you live, but that would have already been factored into the $1999 price.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts