Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a 2020 XC40 but I’m hung up on seat comfort. The charcoal fabric on the Momentum seats looks very attractive but the fabric seems scratchy. I’m in Southern California and wear shorts most of the year. I couldn’t deal with uncomfortable seats.
The R Design nubuck seats are more comfortable. I’d consider spending another $3000 for that build so I’d be comfortable (!) but I’m not sold on them either. I don’t like the way they look, like someone’s overstuffed Laz E Boy (no offense). Posts here say they pick up lint, are too hot and I wonder about their durability. Dealer said getting the upgrade leather seats on the Momentum, $1100 per the website, would require a special order from the factory or aftermarket install. Any thoughts, experience?

My current car is a 2004 Acura with extremely comfortable perforated leather seating. Keep it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I can't believe you can't find one in SoCal with leather seats. I have never seen one with cloth seats. Have no idea how they are. Our R-Design seats are very comfy. Just feel like they might be "warm" in the SoCal desert summers. But I guess next year June will be the time I found out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The R-Design nubuck seats I have is a bit hot in long trip in Canada weather, Toronto.
I always has to put protections sheet at the back as my dog needs a ride, I afraid my dog will scratch the back seats.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The Nubuck is not any hotter than any other black seat I have had. We have had the car now through last summer in California and pretty hot weather. My previous Subaru with perforated black leather was as hot or hotter and not as comfortable when hot as the slick surface is sticky on your skin compared to Nubuck which is softer and more cloth like. I carry my dog often and have found the Nubuck to be quite tough as far as dogs damaging it though the rougher surface does attract dog hair. I have a snap in cover when carrying them now.

·
131 Posts
I’m 1.5 years into an R-Design and finally think the seats are comfortable, albeit too small for my 6’2” frame. I am not a fan of the Nubuck material although I don’t think they get hotter than any other black auto seats. I have a dog that sheds and live in a dusty big city, and they just never look or feel really clean. In a perfect world I’d like to avoid using animal skin but I just still think there’s nothing like leather, and I miss it. Be aware too that the R-Design has a stiffer ride, it’s not just aesthetics.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I want to buy a 2020 XC40 but I’m hung up on seat comfort. The charcoal fabric on the Momentum seats looks very attractive but the fabric seems scratchy. I’m in Southern California and wear shorts most of the year. I couldn’t deal with uncomfortable seats.
The R Design nubuck seats are more comfortable. I’d consider spending another $3000 for that build so I’d be comfortable (!) but I’m not sold on them either. I don’t like the way they look, like someone’s overstuffed Laz E Boy (no offense). Posts here say they pick up lint, are too hot and I wonder about their durability. Dealer said getting the upgrade leather seats on the Momentum, $1100 per the website, would require a special order from the factory or aftermarket install. Any thoughts, experience?

My current car is a 2004 Acura with extremely comfortable perforated leather seating. Keep it?
I have a 2019 Momentum with the light grey leather seats in a sub tropical climate (Brisbane). No problems and they are comfy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of your responses. I was actually dreaming about leather seating last night! Like Jezza I’d prefer non-animal seats but comfort is essential. Also thanks re: the suspension. That’s been an issue w my Acura - sports suspension.

I’ll drive down to LA and check the seats out again. If I hold out for leather it’ll be a grey Momentum with a white top and a couple of packages. These - with leather seating - may be unicorns. I may need to special order.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In that warmer climate, I definitely go with the lighter colored seats (Blonde or Amber)....the R-Design only comes with the dark seating. I have Amber leather (white exterior) but I believe the Blonde comes in leather or a mix. Good luck!!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haven’t decided yet! Fire got in the way. Had a first test drive and got an alert about the fire, had to rush home to evac my dad. I’m finally dug our enough to go back for a second look.

Am going to try out the R Design as well as the Momentum. Would love to have the EV but don’t want to wait another year.
Do people strongly prefer the T5 over the T4? I drive mostly in town, in SoCal. So no cold weather driving but handling should be better w AWD. I read that there’s a bit more low end torque w the T4, wonder if the difference would be noticeable.

·
131 Posts
Sorry to hear about the fire and hope your dad and everyone else is alright! I hope others can answer about the T4. I’ve only driven my T5 but my guess is you’ll be happy with either, if you get the other features you really want.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I purchased the Inscription in Thunder Grey Metallic with Blond Leather Interior with all the bells and whistles and my wife and I are very satisfied. It was about a 4 month wait to get delivery of the vehicle that we wanted with all of the features that we wanted. We spent two weeks driving the car in Europe, mostly on the Autobahns and were very comfortable after 8 hour days in the vehicle. I agree with the earlier comment, get what you really want, and if it takes waiting for delivery, just be patient. I learned years ago that waiting a little extra and even paying a little extra is quickly forgotten when you have something that you're very pleased with and comfortable in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts