Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, just joined here. We recently got our hands on a sage green P8, a demo model with 200 miles on it and no dealer discount (supply has been tough I hear...)

Heat Pump, Advanced Package, Sound Upgrade, and 20" wheels

We were looking to replace our old G wagon with something more efficient and hadn't really considered electric cars until we asked to test drive the P8 after doing an uninspired test drive of the gas powered XC40. What a difference!

We started looking at other electric cars available now, but the Audi was a bit pricier, wife didn't want to buy a Tesla because she can't be associated with Tesla drivers, (I don't blame her) and everything else was kind of meh. A lot of potential cars were coming next year but we ended up biting the bullet and doing it. Went from a 12mpg Highway car to this. Really excited not to have arms numb from vibrations after a long drive.

We do drive from Norcal to Socal once or twice a year, so that'll be fun to figure out.

We're only doing 110V charging at home until we can get an electrician and a Chargepoint arrives from backorder. Not sure how long that'll take..

Impressions of the car:
  • Very quiet inside, nice refined interior. I used to drive A4s and it has the same sensibilities.
  • Good ride handling. I don't like the airy feeling of something like the Range Rover, for example. Pretty low to the ground for an SUV, feels a lot more like a sedan.
  • Excellent trunk space for my dog, very important.
  • Dealers seemed clueless. Someone there promised 40 miles in range from a software upgrade. Another one there didn't know about the free chargepoint or 10-year warranty on batteries.
  • I no longer dread going for a quick drive to go pick some groceries or dog food up. It's such an easy to care to get in and out of.
  • Still can't get over never having to worry about oil changes, transmission fluid leaks, broken exhaust pipes, flex pipe repairs, smog checks, stolen cat converters..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice! We recently got one in the same exact config as well in the US! I temporarily installed a NEMA 14-50 plug where the charge point would go. Its like night and day coming from 110v.
Nice! You installed or an electrician? The only electrical work I’ve done is rewiring an outdoor outlet and adding a junction box when I added a wireless irrigation controller. We have an electrician coming next week to give us a quote on the chargepoint, not even sure how much capacity we have but anything over 40amps will be plenty for the driving we do

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice! You installed or an electrician? The only electrical work I’ve done is rewiring an outdoor outlet and adding a junction box when I added a wireless irrigation controller. We have an electrician coming next week to give us a quote on the chargepoint, not even sure how much capacity we have but anything over 40amps will be plenty for the driving we do
I consider my self handy, but my house was already wired for an EV so it was just a matter of connecting the wires to a NEMA 14-50 outlet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey all, just joined here. We recently got our hands on a sage green P8, a demo model with 200 miles on it and no dealer discount (supply has been tough I hear...)

We were looking to replace our old G wagon with something more efficient and hadn't really considered electric cars until we asked to test drive the P8 after doing an uninspired test drive of the gas powered XC40. What a difference!

We started looking at other electric cars available now, but the Audi was a bit pricier, wife didn't want to buy a Tesla because she can't be associated with Tesla drivers, (I don't blame her) and everything else was kind of meh. A lot of potential cars were coming next year but we ended up biting the bullet and doing it. Went from a 12mpg Highway car to this. Really excited not to have arms numb from vibrations after a long drive.

We do drive from Norcal to Socal once or twice a year, so that'll be fun to figure out.

We're only doing 110V charging at home until we can get an electrician and a Chargepoint arrives from backorder. Not sure how long that'll take..

Impressions of the car:
  • Very quiet inside, nice refined interior. I used to drive A4s and it has the same sensibilities.
  • Good ride handling. I don't like the airy feeling of something like the Range Rover, for example. Pretty low to the ground for an SUV, feels a lot more like a sedan.
  • Dealers seemed clueless. Someone there promised 40 miles in range from a software upgrade. Another one there didn't know about the free chargepoint or 10-year warranty on batteries.
  • I no longer dread going for a quick drive to go pick some groceries or dog food up. It's such an easy to care to get in and out of.
  • Still can't get over never having to worry about oil changes, transmission fluid leaks, broken exhaust pipes, flex pipe repairs, smog checks, stolen cat converters..

View attachment 654
View attachment 655

Impressions of the car:

View attachment 654
View attachment 655
Looks great! Waiting for mine w/same config but added Climate, HK Sound, Heat Pump, 19" wheels. Looks like to me you have 19" wheels, not 20" -- right?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts