Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody put roof rails on their XC40? Had the dealer install our tow hitch since that seemed hard to do myself, but seems like there are a few aftermarket roof rail options that just squeeze on pretty easily? Would love any recommendations!

· Registered
876 Posts
I had a set of old Thule roof racks. Just had to install the adaptor. Fits great. Very easy to install too. Took me longer to put the set together than the installation itself.

· Registered
173 Posts
The dealer sent me a 20% off accessories letter, so I used that to justify the factory (Thule rebranded) items and Odin top box. First one I've ever owned so deducting the learning curve, I would rate as easy. Once I got everything mounted so the box was as far back as possible but the tailgate still opened, I took pictures so I can quickly remount the rails (I took them off for maximum efficiency 😀) back in the right position next time.

· Registered
102 Posts
Anybody put roof rails on their XC40? Had the dealer install our tow hitch since that seemed hard to do myself, but seems like there are a few aftermarket roof rail options that just squeeze on pretty easily? Would love any recommendations!
I went with the Volvo store-bought roof rails made by Thule. I had it installed by a Volvo dealer.

Wheel Vehicle registration plate Tire Car Vehicle

· Registered
7 Posts
+1 for the Volvo installed option. i think they look great to boot. I like that they don't stick out beyond the rails. I feel like this makes them run much much quieter. Also, I have no idea if that's a true statement or not. I do like them though.

View attachment 2173
Great pic, thanks for sharing. Mean muggin'!

Have you experienced a notable decrease in range with the roof rails installed? I want to get them for mine, but I don't want to have to worry about taking them off before long-ish road trips if they too negatively impacted range.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
+1 for the Volvo installed option. i think they look great to boot. I like that they don't stick out beyond the rails. I feel like this makes them run much much quieter. Also, I have no idea if that's a true statement or not. I do like them though.

View attachment 2173
That’s sharp looking in
I went with the Volvo store-bought roof rails made by Thule. I had it installed by a Volvo dealer.

View attachment 2169
man that’s sharp looking in the snow!

· Registered
369 Posts
Great pic, thanks for sharing. Mean muggin'!

Have you experienced a notable decrease in range with the roof rails installed? I want to get them for mine, but I don't want to have to worry about taking them off before long-ish road trips if they too negatively impacted range.
I've never taken them off to see what range is like w/o. Im sure they impact some..in my mind its 2-5%. Of course, that's based on 0% data or science...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.