Volvo XC40 Forum banner

Rock Chips

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious how the front ends of everyone's XC40's were holding up for rock chips, etc. My wife does pretty much all highway driving back and forth to work. She currently has ~2,200 miles on her XC40 in about 1.5 months of ownership.....we put a LOT of miles on our cars, so we usually don't hold on to them for too long. I have noticed a few minor rock chips on the from of the hood and a few more very very minor rocks chips. I am very particular about our vehicles, so I'm guessing 95% of people wouldn't even notice the rock chips. I still will be doing my normal rock chip fill/compound/polish in the spring on her car.

I am currently debating if I want to have PPF put on the hood of the XC40 I just got (assuming Volvo can fix it) I got since it's the Sage Green Pearl. So I might have a full correction done on the hood, then have a full wrap done on the hood based on what I'm seeing on my wife's XC40. This is probably the XC40 that we will keep when I can get my Rivian.

I have also added a poll out of curiosity.

· Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
569 Posts
I don't like PPF neither ceramic. Bigger gravel or with the right speed one will penetrate whatever I put on the car. With PPF is impossible to make paint correction and with ceramic is very difficult. However I think PPF on the head lights is very good idea.

· Registered
280 Posts
PPF is pretty much a requirement in Colorado - especially if you drive in the mountains or during storms. CDOT spreads gravel on the roads. I had the Full Front Package installed in May 2021, and it's been great so far.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
I have both Recharges coated with Crystal Serum Ultra dnd PFF on the flat grille area. I did not do the bumper of fenders as I don't like the way PFF feels or looks so on the flat front is is not really noticeable.

· Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are the panels on the P8 composite? As in not metal and not rust able?
I think the only composites on it are the grill cover and bumper covers. I think everything else is steel…..I have not confirmed this, so if I am wrong, then someone please correct me. 👍🏻

· Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The results are interesting…..it seems like most just simply fill in the rock chips to prevent rust or have PPF.

I’m still torn on PPF. I had the rockers covered on my model 3 and the edges attracting dirt, etc drove me nuts. I also still had a few rocks punch through the PPF and still damage the paint. I have not owned a vehicle where a panel is completely covered with no visible seems, so that I might not mind.

· Registered
4,154 Posts
So to be clear. The panels of the car that are flexy are made of steel vs composite?

If I had the nerve and the paint (and was willing To piss the car off) I would scratch a panel down to what’s underneath to look. Lucky I fail on all 3 prerequisites :)

· Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
1,493 Posts
When washing ours the other day I noticed two tiny rock chips in the front 1/8 of the hood/bonnet surface and I had previously noticed a couple in the front bumper/fascia. I guess not too bad for 7750 km. I have yet to buy the touch-up paint but will get around to it one day. Visiting the USA later this year so may pick it up there - do you think I can put the small bottles of touch up (clear and base coat) in my checked luggage? Hmm, maybe better buy it in Oz LOL!

· Registered
2,537 Posts
Is $2300 for 3M PPF full nose, hood, fenders, front lights, side of doors reasonable?
I guess it depend on where you are located, as I find pricing varies a bit by region. I know my flat grill was $100, but it is a lot of work for bumper and other body line. Your number does sound a tad him for me, with no local reference point. Why cover the lights? They are already plastic and have no paint.

· Registered
39 Posts
I guess it depend on where you are located, as I find pricing varies a bit by region. I know my flat grill was $100, but it is a lot of work for bumper and other body line. Your number does sound a tad him for me, with no local reference point. Why cover the lights? They are already plastic and have no paint.
That’s what I asked the installer but he said it would prevent the lights from needing to be replaced if it got chipped by rocks. I didn’t realize the area I drive through for work had so many rocks on the freeway. Only 4-5 months and I have so many rock chips already 😟

$2300 is a quote in Northern California in the San Francisco Bay Area.

· Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That’s what I asked the installer but he said it would prevent the lights from needing to be replaced if it got chipped by rocks. I didn’t realize the area I drive through for work had so many rocks on the freeway. Only 4-5 months and I have so many rock chips already 😟

$2300 is a quote in Northern California in the San Francisco Bay Area.
My personal opinion is if you already have a bunch of rock chips, then I would just touch them up and call it a day. I would not bother with PPF unless the paint was pristine.

Head lights will get pitted, etc from rocks if they take a hit. So a lot of full front PPF packages include the headlights to keep them looking new.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.