Volvo XC40 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue - 01/21
43 Posts
Awesome. That is unbelievable to see you here after. Keep it rolling. Best place perhaps to get stuck is Manning.
Thank you for the tips on that free charger. Will use it next time. Perhaps in few months. Things are very bad now. The infrastructure is broken or missing now and more rain coming. Stay safe.
Thanks. Yes, I can think of way worse places to be than a cozy cabin at Manning Park. They didn't even charge us for the four nights we were stuck there!

I wonder how many people know about that charger at Hope Slide. That rest area isn't visible from the highway and there isn't much else there besides a washroom and the charger. It's a scenic spot to kill some time charging.

Not a road trip picture but a history vs. today picture - covering over 64 years - just a bit of a contrast!!
View attachment 1845
Very nice! I can't compete with that. My spread is only 50 years!

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
364 Posts
OK in keeping with the what car is sharing the garage, here’s another! :) 1979 Volvo 245 “resto-mod” that was one of my COVID projects. Converted to 1993 running gear and supercharged B230FX engine with M46 overdrive manual transmission. :)
Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light Tire Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge. Crystal White.
3 Posts
We recently completed a road trip from Seattle to Monterey, passing through Redwood National Park on the way home. The XC40 did very well, though some of the Electrify America chargers in central and southern Oregon—especially the ones at the Eugene Target—were a little flakey. We mostly stuck to Electrify America but occasionally used ChargePoint DC chargers, an EVGo, and an unsuccessful attempt to use run by the PSE utility in Lacey, WA. Overall it was a great experience. I also recommend picking up a Teslas destination charger adapter off of Amazon as some hotels only have Tesla stations. We stored ours in the frunk. It worked well most times though sometimes you would have to plug the adapter in first, wait a few seconds then attach the Tesla cable or you would get a red light error. Though even if you got an error, most of the time it would eventually connect and charge. I actually didn’t end up taking that many pictures of the vehicle itself as the experience was pretty natural and unremarkable compared to the scenery and places we visited. We did run into at least one other XC40 Recharge driver. She was a regional sales rep for a company who was doing a trial of the vehicle with for their sales team. We also ran into Mustang EV owners who had driven from Maine to Crescent City, CA. They had a good journey but a few times in the Plains they had to stay overnight at some RV campgrounds to use the 240v connections. Pictures below!

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
Loving these road trips! I hope we get more chargers in Australia as currently they’re thin on the ground!

·
Registered
26 Posts
The picture below was taken at an EA charger in Vidor, TX. on a round trip between Houston, TX and Lake Charles, LA. Below that is the current average consumption since the trip began until today.

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Automotive parking light

Font Gadget Screenshot Display device Multimedia

·
Registered
260 Posts
Road trip to Nashville airport. LTE not working all day despite all the possible reboots and verbal diminutives I could throw at it. It’s now parked at the airport ‘blinded’ to me bc the LTE isn’t working. Hopefully it still has charge when I return on Thursday!

Regarding EA: First EA charger I used was level 2 speed. Changed over to the adjacent tower and the electrons thus flowed as designed. No problems connecting or initiating charge.

The car was super comfy to drive on the freeway.

Attachments

·
Registered
451 Posts
Regarding EA: First EA charger I used was level 2 speed. Changed over to the adjacent tower and the electrons thus flowed as designed. No problems connecting or initiating charge.
Did you take note, by chance, of the label on the towers? It seems many of us have gotten low (25-45 kW) charging off a 150 kW label tower, but then get the proper speed (100-150 kW based on SOC) off a 350 kW labeled tower. I’m curious if you had the same experience?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Did you take note, by chance, of the label on the towers? It seems many of us have gotten low (25-45 kW) charging off a 150 kW label tower, but then get the proper speed (100-150 kW based on SOC) off a 350 kW labeled tower. I’m curious if you had the same experience?
I wish I paid more attention, I just switched towers and went with it.

I am however having a complete LTE loss, which is really unfortunate because my car is parked at an airport and I can’t tell it state of charge.

It is also doing the thing that’s been described on the forums here where the charging limit is grayed out at 6 A and I am unable to change that. Despite it saying that I was still able to fast charge.

·
Registered
260 Posts
That may very well be the case though regarding the towers. I used both plugs off of one tower and they were both level two charging speeds. Then I switched over to another tower completely and got fast charging. I will be charging there again on the way home from the airport and I will look at that time.

I’m a little worried by the complete LTE loss and grayed out six amp function though

·
Registered
451 Posts
Thanks for the feedback @vantablack — it seems to just be a little glitch that EA chargers have sometimes. Hopefully they soon figure it out. It just so happens the 2 or 3 times it occurred for us, the 2nd attempt was always on a 350kW tower. Prob just dumb luck that was the case. FWIW, our most recent EA charging experience on a 150kW tower was perfect, first attempt, so that’s good!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Very cool pics, all! Question for you all - how long does it take for you to charge up while at a stop? Just wondering how it would handle on a long distance trip… say 300 miles. A local convenience store (Wawa for you US East coasters) has plenty of charging stations. As much as I love Wawa, I can’t imagine hanging out there for an hour.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Very cool pics, all! Question for you all - how long does it take for you to charge up while at a stop? Just wondering how it would handle on a long distance trip… say 300 miles. A local convenience store (Wawa for you US East coasters) has plenty of charging stations. As much as I love Wawa, I can’t imagine hanging out there for an hour.
It really depends on where you are going, or the specifics of your trip. But in most cases you never need to stop more than 30min — with the average stop being more like 20-25 minutes for most people. Ideally, you want to arrive at a DC fast charging station around 10-15% SOC (state of charge) and leave as soon as you’ve charged enough to get to the next DC fast charger on your journey. Chances are after charging for 25min you will have added back in 120-150 miles of range, enough to then reach that next charging station. You don’t need to stay until you reach 100%

You mentioned a 300 mile trip being a long trip. Given that our cars have a nearly 200 mile usable range, that isn’t far in the sense that it would only require one DC fast charge. That said, do keep in mind that if your final destination is not somewhere you can Level 2 AC charge, then you’ll need to consider how/where your next charge will be AFTER destination. This may take a little extra planning, but overall, long distance travel in a BEV is easier today than it has ever been.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I spend at least 8-10 minutes just searching through the computer ordering screen at Wawa! 10 more waiting for the hoagie, and 10 more eating it. Boom - charged!

I miss the old days when an employee had to take your order on a paper slip and all you could get was coffee and a hoagie!

·
Registered
364 Posts
About to take a short-ish road trip to our dog's grandma's house and just.noticed our XC40 kinda matches our house! The upkick on the house roof reminds me of the rear door line in the XC40. That part of the roof is angled at about 30 degrees and has 3 kW of solar panels on it.
Car Tire Wheel Cloud Vehicle

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Winter road trip. Small one to town of Hope, BC.
Ambient temperature was -10 C. The consumption was somewhere around 35% more than normal.
Charged with Electrify Canada. Had some trouble to initialize the car first and than was sitting at around 60kW. Had to restart the session when the speed did not increase and got around 75kW average.
Car was good. No problems, but we need more fast chargers here. BC Hydro one so far seems to be the best but nothing over 50kW. Pictures below.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts