Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
236 Posts
Not a super long road trip, but we met up with some neighbours for a picnic and orchid spotting a few weeks ago. Did some mild off-roading on the track leading into the picnic area. Stopped at the wind turbines on the way home for a photo shoot. :)
Plant Vehicle registration plate Car Grille Plant community

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Plant

Cloud Sky Vehicle registration plate Tire Car

·
Registered
315 Posts
Car Cloud Vehicle Sky Tire

We took a 1,000+ mile journey from Ohio to Tennessee this summer. I don’t think I bothered taking other photos, sadly. Or if I did, I didn’t save them. I saved this one because the sky was pretty, and the Cincinnati charger had 8 towers, and 3 different brands, all charging at the same time. I thought that was fun. Most of the EA chargers had 4 towers, and we were alone at many of them. Near the end of our leg to TN we did see a VW ID.4 charging (and his trailer was blocking another stall; had to explain charging etiquette to them) —

Our XC40 was great on the road trip, and we look forward to another trip end of December to the east coast in it!

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Electrify Canada is same company like Electrify America. Same towers, same arrangements just smaller scale. I used them to try if the fast charging is working and how it is working. It was all good. Petro-Canada 150kWh charger in Hope, BC however failed to communicate with the car. Garbage. Everything else BC-Hydro, Hope municipality charger and Electrify Canada were flawless.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Electrify Canada is same company like Electrify America. Same towers, same arrangements just smaller scale. I used them to try if the fast charging is working and how it is working. It was all good. Petro-Canada 150kWh charger in Hope, BC however failed to communicate with the car. Garbage. Everything else BC-Hydro, Hope municipality charger and Electrify Canada were flawless.
It happens - communication issues. I charged at Hope Petro-Can no issue. But had a problem with one of the chargers in Merritt. Every once is awhile they just don't work. Get used to it.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge - Onyx black
16 Posts
This past weekend my wife and I took our Recharge its first road trip, from Vancouver to Tofino, BC. Didn't take any pics of the car, though it was raining a lot, so I have an excuse. Great waves and trees out there!

I looked at our consumption for the 197 km between Nanaimo and hotel outside Tofino, about 21.7 kWh/100 km on the way there and 20.6 kWh/100 km on the way back. Due to the rainy conditions, winding roads, and this being our first road trip with the Recharge we took it pretty easy on both speed and climate control, probably our next go we will have worse consumption... :) This is also with winter tires, load bars (but no rooftop carrier) and mudflaps which maybe add a little extra drag.

·
Registered
135 Posts
This past weekend my wife and I took our Recharge its first road trip, from Vancouver to Tofino, BC. Didn't take any pics of the car, though it was raining a lot, so I have an excuse. Great waves and trees out there!

I looked at our consumption for the 197 km between Nanaimo and hotel outside Tofino, about 21.7 kWh/100 km on the way there and 20.6 kWh/100 km on the way back. Due to the rainy conditions, winding roads, and this being our first road trip with the Recharge we took it pretty easy on both speed and climate control, probably our next go we will have worse consumption... :) This is also with winter tires, load bars (but no rooftop carrier) and mudflaps which maybe add a little extra drag.
good to know. i also have load bars and mud flaps and have been wondering how they will affect range on road trips. im excited to take a road trip in the recharge

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

That is very good consumption. Cannot go fast on that road anyway. Going to Whistler end of the week... Snow time :oops:

·
Registered
236 Posts

That is quite good consumption figure! We’re looking forward to some warmer weather here as we’re more around the 23 kWh/100 km. We did a 190 km trip today and averaged 23.3 kWh/100 km...about 1/3 of that was at 110 kph, and the rest at ~60-80 kph. Had the heater on 20C; ambient temp 10-15C. I used the Pilot Assist with Steering Assist for pretty much the whole drive. Worked pretty well.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge - Onyx black
16 Posts
That is quite good consumption figure! We’re looking forward to some warmer weather here as we’re more around the 23 kWh/100 km. We did a 190 km trip today and averaged 23.3 kWh/100 km...about 1/3 of that was at 110 kph, and the rest at ~60-80 kph. Had the heater on 20C; ambient temp 10-15C. I used the Pilot Assist with Steering Assist for pretty much the whole drive. Worked pretty well.
Yeah, I think the low consumption was a lot to do with our speed, which was only briefly at 110 km/h and more regularly in the 50-80 km/h range with our trip average only just over 60. Ambient temp was around 10C I think and had the car interior at 18C.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yeah, I think the low consumption was a lot to do with our speed, which was only briefly at 110 km/h and more regularly in the 50-80 km/h range with our trip average only just over 60. Ambient temp was around 10C I think and had the car interior at 18C.
Makes sense. With the trip we took yesterday (overall 23.3 kWh/100 km), IIRC when we got to the destination (before returning home) I think we were at about 20.1 kWh/100 km. We had pre-heated the cabin before departure (while plugged in) so didn’t use the heat much on the way, and also on the way, there’s a lot more down-hill elevation change. On the return trip, we turned the heater on and also had that long uphill stretch. Our economy went up to around 28.8 kWh/100 km from our brief charging stop to home (about 1/3 of the total trip), and that stretch was pretty much all uphill including the long stretch at 110 kph...and I didn’t baby it. When I entered the freeway there were a few cars that didn’t move over to allow me to merge so I just punched it and got up to 1xx kph in a flash, much to their surprise I’m sure! ;) Love the power.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have question about Electrify America. Do they have restrooms or break area along with their charging stations or it is just like simple hub with no amenities?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have question about Electrify America. Do they have restrooms or break area along with their charging stations or it is just like simple hub with no amenities?
Locations vary, but in the Midwest (Great Lakes) region here, most of the locations seem to be predominately at Walmart locations, followed secondly by Sheetz gas stations. So you have both restrooms as well as 24-hour shopping options and/or food. There are other locations that align with other brands or shopping centers.

Like many Tesla superchargers, though, there are amenities. As a matter of fact, after 10 Years of owning Tesla products and driving 1500+ mile road trips many times, I actually feel like the EA chargers are BETTER located in the same parking lot at a Walmart/etc where in many cases I’ve been to Tesla SpC that were behind hotels that did NOT have amenities — though let’s face it Walmart is not fancy, but a chance to hit a restroom and grab a snack/drink is all one really needs/wants. No worse than a gas station in that regard.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts