Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question for the Canadians on the forum. I'm planning a long weekend for my wife's Birthday in early November and taking a road trip to BC from Seattle (Kelowana is on the list). I'm not at all familiar with the charging infrastructure in BC and would welcome any help in planning ahead. For instance: What are the major networks? I have found Petro-Canada, Electrify Canada and Hydro BC so far. Are there more I should add to my list? Of these are there any networks to avoid, or to favor?. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
201 Posts
It is good to be back. Welcome.
BC in particular has BC Hydro chargers: Public charging | Electric Vehicles | BC Hydro That is local hydro network. They are investing to build 300 more chargers.
Petro-Canada electric Highway: Canada's Electric Highway – EV Fast Charge car charging stations That one should stretch coast to coast.

Everything else is local setup: for example the hospital parking where I live has free parking and 2 or 3 free 7kW chargers. Just plug in and do not pay. Lots of facilities have their own chargers in place.
PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You I believe that is taken from google so the car will know all that.

Bring your charging cable and extension cord. If you need to charge 120V 12A no one will say no to you. Just in case.

I am new to the EV world and do not know about any chargers to be avoided. My neighbors - one Tesla and two Mach-e owners never complained.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
You also might be the first person who can test and answer the question.

What happens when the max of regenerative braking is greater than the road traction.

Does the regenerative pulse on and off?

Does the car switch from regenerative to brakes so they can pulse on and off?

Does an eerie voice say (2001) “I am sorry Dave, you have initiated an undefined car state, I really with you hadn’t …”

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You also might be the first person who can test and answer the question.

What happens when the max of regenerative braking is greater than the road traction.

Does the regenerative pulse on and off?

Does the car switch from regenerative to brakes so they can pulse on and off?

Does an eerie voice say (2001) “I am sorry Dave, you have initiated an undefined car state, I really with you hadn’t …”
oooh er, hope not

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is good to be back. Welcome.
BC in particular has BC Hydro chargers: Public charging | Electric Vehicles | BC Hydro That is local hydro network. They are investing to build 300 more chargers.
Petro-Canada electric Highway: Canada's Electric Highway – EV Fast Charge car charging stations That one should stretch coast to coast.

Everything else is local setup: for example the hospital parking where I live has free parking and 2 or 3 free 7kW chargers. Just plug in and do not pay. Lots of facilities have their own chargers in place.
PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You I believe that is taken from google so the car will know all that.

Bring your charging cable and extension cord. If you need to charge 120V 12A no one will say no to you. Just in case.

I am new to the EV world and do not know about any chargers to be avoided. My neighbors - one Tesla and two Mach-e owners never complained.
Thank you @XC90_Dinosaur , your help is very useful.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you everyone! I'm rethinking the trip after all the helpful comments and some subsequent research on tire laws and weather etc. Likely We'll be back in the spring. So disappointed to miss out on the Cobbs bread amongst other things. :)

·
Registered
2,146 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I suspect so, but when it comes to buying tow bars, snow chains etc. there is apparently a difference. It could just be web sites catching up. They can't be that different can they?

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
201 Posts
Why do you need snow chains anyway? Just have some decent winter tires. I never had any problems even going up the mountain right after snow storm. Xc40 has good clearance and it is heavy car. You should be fine.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts