Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night while driving home I noticed a new behavior. After turning onto a section of road I’ve driven many times before I noticed that in addition to the speed limit sign there was a DO NOT PASS sign. Never seen two road signs displayed at the same time before. Interestingly, when I turned off this road the DO NOT PASS sign went away even though the road I turned onto also was marked DO NOT PASS. I have not received the software version 1.7 update yet and I‘ve had no service performed lately. The only difference between last night and previous times I‘ve driven this road is that it was 10:00 PM.

I’ll be driving the same section of road later today and will be watching to see whether the DO NOT PASS sign is displayed again.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge, Thunder Grey
3 Posts
I often see the DO NOT PASS sign displayed where I am. Sometimes when there is actually a "do not pass" zone and sometimes when there isn't. It would seem that Volvo/Google still have some work on the road sign recognition system. For me, the speed limit displayed is only correct about half of the time.

There are also a few school zones around me and the SCHOOL ZONE sign only appears for two of them. ¯\(ツ)

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge, Thunder Grey
3 Posts
I can't tell. The manual says that an internet connection is required (so pulling from Google) but it also says that when you pass a sign the speed limit will be displayed, which led me to believe it could be using a recognition system too. Maybe it's a combination?

EDIT: I guess it's both. There's another section that lists limits of the road sign information system...
  • Faded signs
  • Signs positioned on bends
  • Rotated or damaged signs
  • Signs positioned high above the roadway
  • Fully/partially obscured or poorly positioned signs
  • Signs completely or partly covered with frost, snow and/or dirt
  • Digital road maps with outdated, incorrect or missing speed information
  • no Internet connection.
  • approval for Google Maps
Note
In certain markets, the road sign information function is only available in combination with map data.
Note
The RSI function may interpret some types of bicycle rack, connected to the electrical socket for trailers, as a connected trailer. In such cases, the driver display may show incorrect speed information.
Note
This function uses the car's camera and radar units, which have certain general limitations.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue
255 Posts
My favorite is a black "NIGHT/80" sign sometimes when I'm driving on I-80 in Sacramento. As far as I know there's no 80mph zones anywhere near Sacramento, so clearly it's picking up the I-80 markers.

Another one - sometimes while on the interstate, I pass under an overpass and it seems to defer to map data, and my flashing speed limit is 25mph on the 70mph zone on the freeway.

I see the do-not-pass a fair bit too, but at least it seems to be picking it up correctly.

At this point I just ignore the display except for humorous curiosity, since it shows the weirdest combos.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My favorite is a black "NIGHT/80" sign sometimes when I'm driving on I-80 in Sacramento. As far as I know there's no 80mph zones anywhere near Sacramento, so clearly it's picking up the I-80 markers.

Another one - sometimes while on the interstate, I pass under an overpass and it seems to defer to map data, and my flashing speed limit is 25mph on the 70mph zone on the freeway.

I see the do-not-pass a fair bit too, but at least it seems to be picking it up correctly.

At this point I just ignore the display except for humorous curiosity, since it shows the weirdest combos.
Just wondering, do you folks rely on this information or just watch it for amusement??

·
Registered
428 Posts
Just wondering, do you folks rely on this information or just watch it for amusement??
I turned it off completely. I wouldn't mind having the speed limit/signs appear unobtrusively in a corner of the dash, for reference. But having it constantly FLASHING with every new sign was driving me nuts, & taking my attention off the road.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Earlier this week on way to work somehow it read a 35 MPH sign and displayed 55 MPH in the gauge cluster.

·
Registered
204 Posts
On one route I take regularly, I pass a high school. The road is a wide four lanes and has a normal speed limit of 40MPH, but in front of the school are signs that say School Zone 25MPH when children are present." Painted on the street right in front of the school is "40MPH." The car always displays the 25 MPH there and will flash if I exceed that, and it obviously has no idea whether or not children are present. So it either is taking the info from Google about the school zone or prioritizing the sign over the street marking. Interestingly, two blocks later it is still flashing the 25MPH even though I'm well past the school zone, but then the instant I drive over the next street marking of 40MPH, it reverts the display to 40. I don't know exactly how it works, but I'm glad to have it as it does remind me at times that I'm speeding and I slow down.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 20", Heat Pump.
45 Posts
I use this every day, and now hate cars and motorcycles that don't have it. Here in Maine there are so many roads that look the same for 100 miles. No increase in density or obvious reasons, but the speed limit will go from 55 to 50 to 25 to 35 to 40 to 55 to 25 in the space of three miles. Of course at every 25 or 35 location, there is a very attentive officer of the law anxious to explain the the 50 zone ended 20 feet behind you. i find the sign display very accurate in most cases and the flashing has saved me several times from the dreaded 42 in a 35 ticket.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I use this every day, and now hate cars and motorcycles that don't have it. Here in Maine there are so many roads that look the same for 100 miles. No increase in density or obvious reasons, but the speed limit will go from 55 to 50 to 25 to 35 to 40 to 55 to 25 in the space of three miles. Of course at every 25 or 35 location, there is a very attentive officer of the law anxious to explain the the 50 zone ended 20 feet behind you. i find the sign display very accurate in most cases and the flashing has saved me several times from the dreaded 42 in a 35 ticket.

Love the revenue generating "speed traps". I got bagged in TN like 13 years ago wide open nothing around speed limit dropped from 55 to like 35 and then blue lights and a summons later...

• Angry
Reactions: Jim

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 20", Heat Pump.
45 Posts
Love the revenue generating "speed traps". I got bagged in TN like 13 years ago wide open nothing around speed limit dropped from 55 to like 35 and then blue lights and a summons later...
That happens every day up here. I do hope you get your car sorted. I know what it is like to love a car that is treating you badly. My first car was an MG Midget, in Detroit. No one where I lived could help. loved the car, it hated me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts