Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing the XC40 in real life they where mostly on 20” and 1 on 19”.
Looks great.

Minimum size here in the Netherlands is 18”.

Ordered mine today with 19” rims. Will look great.

·
Registered
217 Posts
19's should be great for someone like myself that lives and drives around often in the city because at that point we're able to have thicker profile tires.

Do you plan on testing out an XC40 with the 20's?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Smaller diameter for tires are said to be better for winter driving, though I'm not sure how much snowfall you get in the Netherlands.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Depends on what rims size the demo cars will be on.

True will be getting 18” rims with winter tyres later on.

Have to see what the press is going to say about the drive characteristics. Would be nice to see that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm really struggling with the decision on rim size. I'm about to order my XC40 now and can't decide between 20" and 19". We have pretty harsh winters in Toronto and quite honestly, since I'm leasing the vehicle, didn't really want to buy smaller rim sizes with winter tires on so I'm leaning towards 19" rims but the 20" look like they suit the car so much more.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered 19" rims and will get 18" winter tires and rims later on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ended up getting the 20" rims and will get a separate set of winter wheels/tires later on. The 20" just seems to fit much better on this vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
From all that I heard in talking to the dealer and reading online, it largely comes down to appearance. One more inch (19 to 20) is not likely to improve handling or create problems in winter driving, although some may disagree. In the end I opted to save the $800 and go with the 19s.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My order came with 19 inch. I would have prefered 18 inch and had more rubber for off road/dirt road driving. And the occasional snow encounter (I live in southern California so I have to drive up the mountains to find snow.) The larger wheels probably stick better but ride worse than smaller wheels. Depends what you want. If I buy the car at the end of the subscription I will look into smaller wheels for my purposes. The bigger wheels/tires do look better just not what I am looking for functionally.
For people in cold places it makes sense to have another set of wheels and tires for winter but that would be a dfficult investment in a leased/subscription car for me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Winter driving tire size is generally dependent on the width of the tire not the height or diameter. The narrower the tire the more weight is concentrated on the surface contact patch for better traction in snow and ice. If driving in sands then you need a combination of width and height for batter traction. Also 19's are cheaper to replace than 20's.

just mi dos centos

·
Registered
70 Posts
From all that I heard in talking to the dealer and reading online, it largely comes down to appearance. One more inch (19 to 20) is not likely to improve handling or create problems in winter driving, although some may disagree. In the end I opted to save the $800 and go with the 19s.
You're right, in all the test I have seen, the differences are negligible between 17, 18, 19, 20. While wet and dry handling are on the opposite ends. That’s because the more rubber that comes in contact with the road, the better control you’ll have (on dry road). On snow, the narrower may have better "bite" although the wider ones are better on a hard packed snow. The less rubber, the quieter your ride would be. Speed wise, the bigger tires cover more ground so you probably always will be driving 2 to 3 miles above indicated speed.

I personally prefer the bigger tires for handling reasons but that's a very biased opinion.

·
Registered
48 Posts
What I've read is that the larger tires give a harsher ride and are less forgiving over rough roads. With our deteriorating roads here in California I opted to go with the 18 inch rims. And since it will be my wife's daily driver a plusher ride will be appreciated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts