Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I dropped my xc40 off Monday morning to get the software updated to hopefully fix some of the bugs I have had. Issues reported were the GPS/LTE modems not working and unable to reset. The other issue reported was the greyed out amperage setting (saying 6amp vs 40 even though it. Continues to charge at 40).

It's day 5 and they still have my car. Was told Monday that the update failed and they were engaging Volvo support to help troubleshoot. Today they called and said to here is still a charging issue and they don't expect to hear back from Volvo until Monday.

Such a bummer it's taking this long to troubleshoot. I wonder if part of what's taking so long is the time difference between us and the engineers in Sweden. Kind of wishing I never took the car in as the issues I was having were just annoying and didn't effect charging or driving it.

Anyone else having long wait times to get repairs on their xc40?

·
Registered
XC40 Recharge P8
10 Posts
Yes. Very slow at the dealer I purchased my XC40 at, so I went to another Volvo dealer and had a much better service experience. While talking to the dealer's sales manager, I asked why their service is so slow. He stated their sales growth exceeded their service capacity and COVID-19 made it even worse. I called today to get status on parts they ordered for XC40 2 weeks ago and the service manager no longer works there. The front desk took a message and they would try to call back today. Crazy. I have a Honda too, and the dealer is amazing about turnaround and keeping me abreast of the repair status.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
So I dropped my xc40 off Monday morning to get the software updated to hopefully fix some of the bugs I have had. Issues reported were the GPS/LTE modems not working and unable to reset. The other issue reported was the greyed out amperage setting (saying 6amp vs 40 even though it. Continues to charge at 40).

It's day 5 and they still have my car. Was told Monday that the update failed and they were engaging Volvo support to help troubleshoot. Today they called and said to here is still a charging issue and they don't expect to hear back from Volvo until Monday.

Such a bummer it's taking this long to troubleshoot. I wonder if part of what's taking so long is the time difference between us and the engineers in Sweden. Kind of wishing I never took the car in as the issues I was having were just annoying and didn't effect charging or driving it.

Anyone else having long wait times to get repairs on their xc40?
Wow sorry to hear that. You do not expect it to be over a week for a software upgrade. Makes me wonder why/how it failed.

Thankyou so much for sharing. I was thinking of booking mine in for an software upgrade but will wait for now :)

This all reminds me of the “Forbes::Should I upgrade my iPhone to iOS X.YZ” articles and how rarely that answer is a resounding yes.

Sad thing is 1.7 has some really big upgrades that I want. Of course the bigger the upgrades the more sub systems touched and the more chance of a conflict.

As others have had their upgrades fail (seen 2 others so far) which got quickly resolved makes me hope they will resolve yours too.

Perhaps find the other articles on here and contact the people involved maybe they can share who their dealers are so their dealers can help your dealership.

Good luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes. Very slow at the dealer I purchased my XC40 at, so I went to another Volvo dealer and had a much better service experience. While talking to the dealer's sales manager, I asked why their service is so slow. He stated their sales growth exceeded their service capacity and COVID-19 made it even worse. I called today to get status on parts they ordered for XC40 2 weeks ago and the service manager no longer works there. The front desk took a message and they would try to call back today. Crazy. I have a Honda too, and the dealer is amazing about turnaround and keeping me abreast of the repair status.
Can confirm the same happening in Vancouver. Their hybrid sales are through the roof. I think they have one or two hybrids and two or three EVs on the lot currently. The sales guy claimed they sold over 50 hybrids for month and a half. Vancouver has the most expensive gas among big North America cities, and that is a big push.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So today is day 8 of the dealership having my car (6 full business days). Today they let me know that they diagnosed the onboard charger as needing replaced and have ordered the part. They are hoping it will be here tomorrow but they are unsure. After they trace that, they want to do additional testing, so it's probably safe to assume I'm not getting the car back until Wednesday at the earliest.

I'm trying to keep upbeat but I'll be honest, this is the most I have ever spent on a car (~$60,000), and after only having it about a month and a half to have this kind of issue, it's super frustrating and disheartening. I've owned about 12 cars in the past 20 years (ford's, Saturn, Kia, Mazda, Scion), and outside of accident/body shop repairs, I can't think of a single time I've had a car in the shop for more than 3-4 days. Software issues I get and I've been reading the forums, was expecting some bugs here and there.

Part of it might also be the customer experience as well. On the first day, I sat at the dealership for four and a half hours before they finally said they didn't know what the issue was with the software update, and then stuck me in a 2015 s60. After that, I feel like I call daily to get updates and it's almost always they are waiting on a response from Volvo. Thinking my next step is to reach out to Volvo corporate and see if they have any way to escalate the issue on their side.

Sorry for the rant. For everyone else out there having cars waiting to be repaired, I feel for you. ☹

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Sounds sucktastic :( worse that is is so fun to have that time away in a loner feels like punishment.

Hope they fix it soon and it comes home and has a repair free life for the next 10 years :)

Mine has only gone into the dealer once since may and that was week one when it got broken into :) so it is possible to have no issues.

Good luck and nothing wrong with a rant :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I actually just used the Volvo cars app chat feature to open a case with them. I asked them if there was any way to escalate the case on their end to help the dealership. Super cool and they were very helpful. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
34 Posts
It sounds like we are in very similar situations. I got my P8 on September 7th. I had the LTE issue once but it came back after I left the car undriven for a whole day.

My bigger issue is with charging. My car has failed to charge at the majority of public chargers I've tried across multiple charging networks. At home using the Volvo supplied cable, the charger would click on and off during the first few minutes of being plugged in but it would eventually charge.

I had the dealer do the 1.7 update on October 7th and after that, the car gave me error messages when plugged in and wouldn't charge at all. I took it right back to the dealer the next day and got a loaner. They've had it for a week now and are saying Volvo told them to replace the onboard charger which is still being shipped to them. My service advisor says if they get the charger in the morning that I can get my car back that afternoon.

My feelings are similar. I've owned/lease cars from a ton of different brands. I turned in a leased S60 to get my Recharge after wanting to get an EV for years and this has not been a great first EV experience.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts