Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I removed the front styrofoam kit in the frunk to make more room - it is a sizable difference. I put the jack and all the charging cables/attachments up in the frunk now, leaving the cargo area totally for cargo. That is all, have a good night ;)

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Do things rattle in the “hole”?

Reactions: Lindzaur

·
Registered
‘22 XC40 Recharge Twin in Denim Blue MFD 6/21
327 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Volvo P8. MFD 1/21. 20" ride. OTA 11/02. White aka ORKA.
749 Posts
I chose the opposite. All "stuff" in the rear under the floor. Including the charging cable under it all. Saved the styrofoam and plastic bottom stuff in my attic to install when I get rid of the car.

View attachment 1883
Did the same thing here. Styroform itself is the attic while everything is in the rear under floor.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought initially I would use the frunk more, but to access it is an extra step that makes the cargo area my go to. For now it’ll be used for car accessories.

I will be getting a Teslatap and a quality extension cord to add to it in the future.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I believe I saw the EU cars do not have they hump in the frunk. I beige the hump is US regulation to make sure a child can not be i the frunk, otherwise they would need an exit option that glows in the dark.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I thought initially I would use the frunk more, but to access it is an extra step that makes the cargo area my go to. For now it’ll be used for car accessories.

I will be getting a Teslatap and a quality extension cord to add to it in the future.
I wonder if the Tesla tap that allows (in the future) level 3 charging will also do the lower speed charging? I am waiting to buy my Tesla tap until they open up the sexy network :)

·
Registered
451 Posts
I wonder if the Tesla tap that allows (in the future) level 3 charging will also do the lower speed charging? I am waiting to buy my Tesla tap until they open up the sexy network :)
Problem with that idea is that DC Fast Charging on any non-Tesla requires the lower DC “appendages” (the CCS combo). So right now all of the TeslaTap devices are J1772 at one end not CCS/combo — and would not work. And for them to work they will need to be a much thicker gauge wire than what any of those are…. I think 80A is the max you’ll get from any Tesla -> J1772 adapter right now. Compared to the 300A+ you’ll need for DC fast charging.

Ultimately, it also would not surprise me if Tesla doesn’t build in a chipset that is in the adapter, required for the handshake with the Tesla system, and potentially even linked directly with your account (a unique ID built into the hardware dongle that you can setup when you buy the device on the Tesla app for charging your non-Tesla, enter credit card data, etc). This would make sense because it would also streamline the service. In Europe you have to use the app and tell it which stall you are at— but they all use the same connector, unlike the US.

But… who knows what will happen. Either way, some sort of adapter will be required; whether or not Tesla sees that as a profit center (cost of hardware) or whether they open that up to the market place, goodness knows as of yet.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I believe I saw the EU cars do not have they hump in the frunk. I beige the hump is US regulation to make sure a child can not be i the frunk, otherwise they would need an exit option that glows in the dark.
Interesting. Tesla definitely doesn’t have the insert or any dividers in the frunk. No divider would make the space more usable and nicer, but I just have all of our charging cables/etc in that space. The frunk is more annoying to use on the XC40 than our Tesla, so great spot for charging stuff. I only use the frunk on my Tesla for take out/leftovers….keep the food smell out of the car. Haha.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All my car accessories (jack, tire kit etc) are in the duffel so the back is totally free. The charge cable easily fits in and out so I don’t have to fold it just so to close the lid. This is way better than having styrofoam eat up 50% of the storage.

Under the floor in the back I keep a duffel with running clothes/gloves etc since I run a) 5x/week at random times owing to my work schedule and b) I always forget stuff.

I’m happy with my set up.

PS I also have a battery powered 12 volt battery emergency jumper/cables in the duffel

Attachments

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Has anyone actually managed to jump start it? Seen a couple of people with dead batteries that got towed but no stories I have read about jump starting :)

Will leave this here is no reply will do a thread on it.

Cheers

·
Registered
XC40 Recharge Twin
84 Posts
Has anyone actually managed to jump start it? Seen a couple of people with dead batteries that got towed but no stories I have read about jump starting :)

Will leave this here is no reply will do a thread on it.

Cheers
I haven't jumped started it but I was looking at the link and it mentioned "put the car in passive driving mode". I had to google that to find it in the manual and it basically means - unlock the car but don't sit in the seat - to jump the car. I'm going to try and look for the connection points by the frunk tomorrow.

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
142 Posts
I haven't jumped started it but I was looking at the link and it mentioned "put the car in passive driving mode". I had to google that to find it in the manual and it basically means - unlock the car but don't sit in the seat - to jump the car. I'm going to try and look for the connection points by the frunk tomorrow.
Once you open the frunk, you have to pop the pins that hold the large plastic inner liner in place. And then you have to move/lift it out to get to the battery underneath. Same thing in Teslas.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts