Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to love the XC40 iPhone app. (I currently do not)...

The most frustrating problem is using remote start. Now that it is cold, even warming up the car for a full 15 minutes leaves the car barely warm when my wife gets in.

Is there any way to "hack" the remote start to have the heater go on full blast? I have never had this issue with any of my other cars.

I have contacted Volvo (numerous times) to ask for a tweak to their app about this. But they always reply that the car warms to a "comfortable 72 degrees". It is not comfortable when the outside temperature is below 50 degrees.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
11 Posts
When I leave car and I know it will be cold next time I come back, I turn on the "max defroster" button (see pic).
Car will start blow air on max speed and max temp. But even so, 15 min max time for remote start sometime isn't enough, so you hit the remote start second time, when 15 min passed. When it's -20 deg. Celsius, it helps.
Text Line Font Parallel Technology

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I leave car and I know it will be cold next time I come back, I turn on the "max defroster" button (see pic).
Car will start blow air on max speed and max temp. But even so, 15 min max time for remote start sometime isn't enough, so you hit the remote start second time, when 15 min passed. When it's -20 deg. Celsius, it helps.
View attachment 542
Thanks for this. It should not be this hard. A simple edit to the app's code could make all the difference.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I want to love the XC40 iPhone app. (I currently do not)...

The most frustrating problem is using remote start. Now that it is cold, even warming up the car for a full 15 minutes leaves the car barely warm when my wife gets in.

Is there any way to "hack" the remote start to have the heater go on full blast? I have never had this issue with any of my other cars.

I have contacted Volvo (numerous times) to ask for a tweak to their app about this. But they always reply that the car warms to a "comfortable 72 degrees". It is not comfortable when the outside temperature is below 50 degrees.

Any ideas?
I am in the same boat. I’ve noticed my steering wheel and seat are kind of warm but the cabin is not. So frustrating. Will not be renewing the subscription

·
Super Moderator
260 Posts
Do people have experience with other manufacturers’ cars’ cabins actually getting warm with remote start? With the small displacement fuel-efficient four-cylinder engines that are common these days, it seems like it would have to idle for a very long time before you could warm the cabin in subzero temps. That’s neither great for a turbocharger nor the environment as engines aren’t very efficient heaters. For me, when I use it (rarely), the remote start at least gets the seat and steering wheel warm, and the engine warms up much faster once I start driving.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do people have experience with other manufacturers’ cars’ cabins actually getting warm with remote start? With the small displacement fuel-efficient four-cylinder engines that are common these days, it seems like it would have to idle for a very long time before you could warm the cabin in subzero temps. That’s neither great for a turbocharger nor the environment as engines aren’t very efficient heaters. For me, when I use it (rarely), the remote start at least gets the seat and steering wheel warm, and the engine warms up much faster once I start driving.
I traded in a 2019 vw Tiguan 4cyl for my Volvo and the standard remote start worked as intended where your car actually is warm in the winter and cool in the summer

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Every Toyota RAV4 I drove in the past would properly warm the cabin in sub zero temps... always drove a 4 cylinder.

The problem is Volvo sets the temp to a "comfortable 72 degrees" upon autostart. This is a joke... it need to be on high to properly warm the vehicle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts