Volvo XC40 Forum banner

What type of issues (if any) have you experienced since taking delivery of your XC40/C40 Recharge?

• Totally "bricked" leaving vehicle completely unusable (requiring a tow for service)

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Required a significant intervention to drive or charge (jump start for 12V battery/charging/etc)

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Significant issues with primary functions which required repair (climate/heat pump/screen/TCAM/etc)

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Inconvenient issues which required repair (fit/finish/mechanical latches/etc)

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Inconvenient issues addressed via software updates ('hey google' non-responsive/etc)

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • No issues - All is good!

Votes: 30 47.6%
  • I drive an XC40 Recharge

Votes: 34 54.0%
  • I drive a C40 Recharge

Votes: 20 31.7%
  • My Recharge is model year 2021

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • My Recharge is model year 2022

Votes: 43 68.3%
  • My Recharge is model year 2023

Votes: 1 1.6%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone-
I'm a huge fan of the XC40 and C40 Recharge and after test drives of both this weekend am close to ordering. I've done a ton of research and appreciate all of the great info provided by the community here. What's paused the process for me is the reliability issues reported by several owners. I feel for the people who have experienced the "brick" and other issues. What I really don't have a feel for is how common place these issues are. I thought I would post a quick survey to see what we can learn about frequency of these issues. I understand that many people are on the forum looking for answers and support after experiencing an issue which can certainly bias these results, so we can all keep that in mind. Thanks for responding!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Hi Everyone-
I'm a huge fan of the XC40 and C40 Recharge and after test drives of both this weekend am close to ordering. I've done a ton of research and appreciate all of the great info provided by the community here. What's paused the process for me is the reliability issues reported by several owners. I feel for the people who have experienced the "brick" and other issues. What I really don't have a feel for is how common place these issues are. I thought I would post a quick survey to see what we can learn about frequency of these issues. I understand that many people are on the forum looking for answers and support after experiencing an issue which can certainly bias these results, so we can all keep that in mind. Thanks for responding!
I participated in your survey. My 2022 C40 "bricked" in my garage and had to be towed. The dealer fixed my C40. I believe it was due to “user error”. I love technology and enjoy taking things apart. I wanted to understand the location of the 12volt battery and how to jump start the 12V with my battery pack. Although I made every attempt to follow the directions in the manual, I seem to have triggered the failure of an important fuse which shut down my C40. I suspect the shutdown was part of a Volvo safety system.
The moral of my story is to avoid tempering with your C40. High voltage vehicles by design need automated shutdown systems. Just enjoy driving the C40 and let the Volvo trained technicians work on your vehicle.

·
Registered
Dead '22 XC40 Pure Elec.
89 Posts
My XC40 "bricked" the same weekend I got it. It's now closing in at 4 weeks back at the dealership and they still haven't worked out what has killed it.

·
Registered
2022 Late XC40 Twin, 2017 BRZ
954 Posts
I selected "inconvenient issues," but the problems have been very minor and sporadic. Google Assistant has been unresponsive a few times. I was typically able to resolve the issues by rebooting the IHU. I haven't noticed any problem since the 2.1 update, though. Only other outstanding thing is that USB data is currently blocked, so I can't listen to music from a thumb drive. Hopefully it will be resolved soon in an update. But that's a very minor concern.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Appreciate all of the responses to date. Hopefully this info will be useful/interesting for others also. Maybe will even build over time. Really appreciate the perspectives and sharing experience!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I selected "inconvenient issues," but the problems have been very minor and sporadic. Google Assistant has been unresponsive a few times. I was typically able to resolve the issues by rebooting the IHU. I haven't noticed any problem since the 2.1 update, though. Only other outstanding thing is that USB data is currently blocked, so I can't listen to music from a thumb drive. Hopefully it will be resolved soon in an update. But that's a very minor concern.
Same here. Nothing that a quick reboot hasn't resolved. Was running on whatever software version came with the car in April (unless there were automatic updates I was unaware of). Just yesterday I ran the newest software update but have not checked on the car yet as I keep it a couple blocks away in a parking garage. Fingers crossed. Knock on wood.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Did your survey but it will not give any real data on the actual distribution of issues.
1. Folks who go to boards are more likely to go due to issues
2. Not everyone here fills out surveys.
3. No real data on the number of ev users here
4. No real data on the number of cars sold
5. We get folks from different counties should their numbers be added in

It gives information but it is arguable the value of it.

Reactions: Eugene M Stoner

·
Registered
20 Posts
Did your survey but it will not give any real data on the actual distribution of issues.
1. Folks who go to boards are more likely to go due to issues
2. Not everyone here fills out surveys.
3. No real data on the number of ev users here
4. No real data on the number of cars sold
5. We get folks from different counties should their numbers be added in

It gives information but it is arguable the value of it.
Yeah, it is by no means perfect. What it is cool is hearing about the later experiences of everyone who joined the forum in anticipation of receiving their vehicles.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Yeah, it is by no means perfect. What it is cool is hearing about the later experiences of everyone who joined the forum in anticipation of receiving their vehicles.
Oddly the numbers in the quiz do not add up.
You have 3 sections.
Problems. Model. Year
34. 25. 30. Per relevant section.

So 34 people have answered about their experience
25 people answered about their model
30 people answered about their year

But where is the group over lap?

Lies **** lies and statistics :)

·
Registered
'22 C40 Fjord Blue in & out
212 Posts
Oddly the numbers in the quiz do not add up.
You have 3 sections.
Problems. Model. Year
34. 25. 30. Per relevant section.

So 34 people have answered about their experience
25 people answered about their model
30 people answered about their year

But where is the group over lap?

Lies **** lies and statistics :)
Keep in mind that one owner may check multiple boxes for the type of trouble they've had. I checked two, because I've had both major problems (failed TCAM requiring replacement) and minor (condensation in a tail light which they said they'd replace, then they broke a trim piece in the process which is back-ordered). The mismatch between models and years may be just due to omission, but there are a few users here who own multiple Recharges which could contribute to the mismatch.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Keep in mind that one owner may check multiple boxes for the type of trouble they've had. I checked two, because I've had both major problems (failed TCAM requiring replacement) and minor (condensation in a tail light which they said they'd replace, then they broke a trim piece in the process which is back-ordered). The mismatch between models and years may be just due to omission, but there are a few users here who own multiple Recharges which could contribute to the mismatch.
True. It was not a big deal. Just old PM techniques of checking data to make sure the spreadsheet is correct. And the pattern of numbers supports your thoughts perfectly.

I whole heartedly wish we had access to Volvo data. How many cars totals how many problems of each type etc.

I also wonder if there is a weekly so where are we on the tcam problem meeting … :)

So happy I got the specific p8 I got.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have a recharge on order. I was hoping to sell/trade-in my ice vehicle but seems like I will have to keep it as a backup.
I'd keep your ICE car as a backup too... We are essentially beta testing these cars and hopefully we all knew or suspected this going in.. I sure did. This isn't my only vehicle, so I'm kinda ok with being a beta tester. A little disappointed that I had issues, sure... but still digging the experience.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I participated in your survey. My 2022 C40 "bricked" in my garage and had to be towed. The dealer fixed my C40. I believe it was due to “user error”. I love technology and enjoy taking things apart. I wanted to understand the location of the 12volt battery and how to jump start the 12V with my battery pack. Although I made every attempt to follow the directions in the manual, I seem to have triggered the failure of an important fuse which shut down my C40. I suspect the shutdown was part of a Volvo safety system.
The moral of my story is to avoid tempering with your C40. High voltage vehicles by design need automated shutdown systems. Just enjoy driving the C40 and let the Volvo trained technicians work on your vehicle.
You blew a 175 amp fuse. Thats kindof an accomplishment, imo!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts