Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I look for dah cams I am finding many offer OBD power options, but usually say "not for EV" and that EVs need a different OBD power adapter. From my research I see Tesla did not adhere to the standards, but I am curious about Volvo. I can't find anything stating one way or the other. I would have thought OBD at least in the Us was pretty much a standard.

Reactions: S.Songwut

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
154 Posts
I haven't tried it, but I'm pretty sure that it would work, but it might not auto detect when to turn on/off. The voltage on pin 16 may be slightly different than for ICE vehicles having an alternator.

FWIW, I chose not to use the OBDII for my dash cam in my XC40. It was easier to use the micro2 fuse panel under the passenger floor mat. The wiring is out of the way and hardly noticeable since I like to mount the dash cam on the windshield of the passenger side to not obstruct driver vision.

Whereas, with my 2 other vehicles (ICE), I use the ODBII port since they were tucked under more than the XC40.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So is your cam on all the time? I go back and forth on whether I want 7x24 or just when driving. I am leaning toward when car is on since it sits a lot and my concern is the morons on the road. I noticed the fuses are under the seat, the Swedes really do a lot different on these cars.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
154 Posts
So is your cam on all the time?
The fuse port which I plugged into turns off power after about 5 minutes of exiting the vehicle. The dash cam that I got has an internal battery which has reserve power which can optionally be used to record triggered events. The best of both worlds. However, I've heard that having a battery in a dash cam is not good in hot environments. I'm using NextBase 522gw. I don't recommend this camera for the weary, but it is working great for how I use it.

Reactions: He Keith
1 - 4 of 4 Posts