Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I got my XC40 Recharge back after the infotainment resetting glitch, and after bringing it in three times they finally replaced the infotainment unit and it seems to be working now. It hasn't reset since I got it back at least, so that's encouraging. I'll give it a week without it resetting to declare it a victory though.

Now on the downside, since I got my car back, it has not charged. Currently I just do the very slow charge in my garage while I wait for the ChargePoint that is backordered. It usually isn't a big deal because my commute to work and back isn't that far and I can charge it in the evening and over night to keep it charged. But last night I charged my car, and this morning when I went to drive it, it didn't show any change. I thought nothing of it and just figured I could charge it when I got home and it'd be okay. Well, now it still does not appear to be charging at all, in fact it appears like it has actually gone down in charge over the last few hours while it's supposed to be charging. I have no idea why.

I actually tried to take it to an EVgo fast charging station to see if that would help, but the stupid machine wouldn't recognize my account and kept saying it did not exist. So I wasted 10 precious miles of charge and a half-hour of my time trying to get it to work for nothing.

I should mention it's also extremely hot here. I live in St. Louis and right now the heat index is 107. Maybe that's affecting it? I'm not sure. But anyone ever had any experiences like this where it won't charge? I'm a bit scared now that I'm going to run out of battery and get stranded or not be able to get it out of my garage.

·
Registered
155 Posts
How are you trying to charge at home?
Is the climate control continually running? When charging in hot weather the climate control may run to keep the battery cool.
Is there a limit on you charging amps (current intensity)?
Do you believe the EVgo issue is related? I was unclear if this was a payment issue versus a charging issue.
What is the car telling you on the dash when it's plugged in?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How are you trying to charge at home?
Is the climate control continually running? When charging in hot weather the climate control may run to keep the battery cool.
Is there a limit on you charging amps (current intensity)?
Do you believe the EVgo issue is related? I was unclear if this was a payment issue versus a charging issue.
What is the car telling you on the dash when it's plugged in?
Thanks for the response. I'm charging at home currently with the regular plug, I forget what it's called, but the same type of plug you'd plug a TV into. Yes, it's slow, but usually at least goes up. Now it's not. The climate control did seem to be continually running because when I went to check on it, it was still running, but I went in and powered it off to force it off. Should I not do that? The heat wave will break tomorrow so maybe I should just try then.

The charging limit as far as my car is concerned is 6, but my car won't get anywhere near that with its current hookup. The EVgo issue is unrelated, it just would not recognize my account. I think the machine itself is broken. Though it would've been nice to know if my car was at least ABLE to take a charge, and I wasn't able to verify that because the machine was broken.

The car is telling me on the dash that it is charging, very slowly, and will be done in something like ~36 hours. But when I check back later on, it says the same thing.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yes, I wouldn't turn off the climate control manually.

I don't know what you mean by 6 for the current limit. I suspect that's way too low if you have it set at 6. A normal outlet can handle 15 amps but you should set it for 12, (80%) But don't change it until others chime in.

Can you cool off the garage and let the car cool and then try to charge? Your car may be heating the garage which is forcing it to run the climate which is using energy which is heating the garage.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I agree. Increase current to 10 or 12 amps.

• In extremely cold or hot weather, part of the charging current is used to heat/cool the high-voltage battery and the passenger compartment, resulting in a longer charging time.

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
86 Posts
How far is your dealer? Go there and use his charger. Also load the PLUGSHARE free APP. It will show you many chargers in your area that are free or are pay. Most new car dealers today have chargers as many car manufactures have to have them. Stop at one and ask to charge for say 15 minutes to check your system.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I had the amp limit at 6 because that's what it was and I didn't feel confident changing it, but I think they must have set it at that when they installed the new infotainment unit. They also changed my charge limit to 100% from 90%, so it's feasible they changed both for whatever reason.

I just set it to 15, hopefully this fixes it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I hope this fixes it for you. The free charger suggestion is a good one.

And to reiterate for others. You should never charge at the full amperage of the breaker because of the continuous use. Typically you want to set your car to 80% or 4/5th if your a fraction type individual.

15 amp breaker current limit is 12
20 amp breaker current limit is 16

My research indicates that most garage GFCI circuits are wired with 12 gauge wire so they can support 20 amp breakers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all, I put the amp down to 12. I checked recently and it went up a single percentage point, so that's something at least. Better than going down.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I keep mine set to 48 amps, charge at home with 110 AC and have never tripped a breaker. This is from the Volvo manual.
“Charging speed can be set in your centre display. To adjust the charging amp limit, click the gear icon on the centre touchscreen
select Charging > press the plus or minus sign to change the amperage limit for charging. Set it to 48 amps for best charging speed, if it’s not already. If you plug it into a lower amperage circuit,e.g., a 110- volt 15 amp circuit, the car will lower the charging speedbased on the amperage available.”

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yes, but....

We have ours set to 48 as well which is not a good thing. I had intended to have level 2 by now. The GFCI circuit is shared with the bathroom where the hairdryer plugs in. Guess what happens if you turn on the hairdryer while charging the car?

The real issue with leaving it at 48 is allowing the car to decide what to draw. Though rare, you could run into a faulty breaker that wouldn't trip and will allow more of a load than the wiring is rated for.

At the end of the day if you've looked at the current being used and it's within the continuous load range for your wiring then go for it. But, if you want to be safe, just use the setting in the car.

I guess what I'm saying is, you shouldn't be happy if you're charging faster with the current set at 48 than if the current is set for your wiring, especially if it's going on for any amount of time. For us it's all night long. 13% of residential fires are caused by electricity. More information: 5 common causes of electrical fires

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I have mine set to 48 amsp at all times. If you use the Volvo cable it will limit the car according to which connector you have on it and then my EVSE limits it to 40 amps anyway.

Reactions: DeaneG

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have mine set to 48 Amps as well. I always want to pull the maximum power whenever I use a public L2 charger, and don't want to have to remember to change the settings.

At home, I rely on the ChargePoint Flex to limit current in my garage. It is wired for 60 amps, but I charge at 32 just to be nice to the battery.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi all, just an update. So I let it charge over night and some this morning and it managed to only get from 10% to 15%. It seems to just stop charging after a while and I go and check on it and "wake it up" and it reinitializes and charges again. I did take it to the EVgo charging station today and charged it up to over 50%, so that helped. It was slower charging than expected though, isn't a fast charging station supposed to go faster than that? It was a CCS connection and in 47 minutes it charged total energy of 33.940 kWh, getting my car from about 14% to 50%. Does that sound right?

Anyway, I hoped charging it back home I could get it to continue charging the rest of the way, and it doesn't seem to be going up anymore. I have my amp limit set to 12 if anyone has a better idea of what I should set it to. Are there any other settings or anything else to check? Any ideas what could be happening? I can't go to the fast charging station to charge it every day and it'll probably be another few weeks before I get my ChargePoint, plus then I have to get an electrician to install it which who knows how long that will take.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I did take it to the EVgo charging station today and charged it up to over 50%, so that helped. It was slower charging than expected though, isn't a fast charging station supposed to go faster than that? It was a CCS connection and in 47 minutes it charged total energy of 33.940 kWh, getting my car from about 14% to 50%. Does that sound right?
Yes, I looked at some of my charging sessions:
EVgo1hr42 kwh
ChargePoint49m33 kwh

Charging speed depends on a ton of factors including battery level and charger wattage. Most (not all) EVgo CCS chargers are 50 kwh so the max you could see for a 45 minute session would by 37.5 kwh. With overhead and other factors at play your 33.94 looks about right.

You will have more luck finding a faster charger at an Electrify America station if you have one of those nearby.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I let it charge over night and some this morning and it managed to only get from 10% to 15%. It seems to just stop charging after a while and I go and check on it and "wake it up" and it reinitializes and charges again.
This does not sound like normal behavior. I would take it to a dealer and get it checked out.

Other steps:
1) Try a different outlet (borrow a friend's garage?)
2) Try again now that your battery is at a higher level
3) Set the charging limit to 48 amps and give it a go (see previous cautions, but it's supposed to be OK based on the manual)
4) Unplug everything else on that circuit

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
86 Posts
Hi all, just an update. So I let it charge over night and some this morning and it managed to only get from 10% to 15%. It seems to just stop charging after a while and I go and check on it and "wake it up" and it reinitializes and charges again. I did take it to the EVgo charging station today and charged it up to over 50%, so that helped. It was slower charging than expected though, isn't a fast charging station supposed to go faster than that? It was a CCS connection and in 47 minutes it charged total energy of 33.940 kWh, getting my car from about 14% to 50%. Does that sound right?

Anyway, I hoped charging it back home I could get it to continue charging the rest of the way, and it doesn't seem to be going up anymore. I have my amp limit set to 12 if anyone has a better idea of what I should set it to. Are there any other settings or anything else to check? Any ideas what could be happening? I can't go to the fast charging station to charge it every day and it'll probably be another few weeks before I get my ChargePoint, plus then I have to get an electrician to install it which who knows how long that will take.
We did the paperwork on our new car June 28. I believe it was a could days later when I reminded the dealer about the Chargepoint deal he said he just took care of it. Yesterday I was notified my charger will be here next Wednesday as it was shipped from CA.

As others have said, try another location or a friend. Is there any RV parks near you? Welding shop near you? Both have 50 amp outlets. Even a large RV dealer will have a 50amp outlet

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We did the paperwork on our new car June 28. I believe it was a could days later when I reminded the dealer about the Chargepoint deal he said he just took care of it. Yesterday I was notified my charger will be here next Wednesday as it was shipped from CA.
Wow, you are getting your ChargePoint that fast?! Now I feel robbed. I bought my car on June 3rd, didn't get the promo code until July 2nd, then ordered it and it was backordered and said it will ship in 4-5 weeks. It still hasn't shipped yet. Still "in process". I wonder how you got to jump the line! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Wow, you are getting your ChargePoint that fast?! Now I feel robbed. I bought my car on June 3rd, didn't get the promo code until July 2nd, then ordered it and it was backordered and said it will ship in 4-5 weeks. It still hasn't shipped yet. Still "in process". I wonder how you got to jump the line! :ROFLMAO:
I wouldn't believe the estimated delivery delays on their website. My charger was delivered much faster than the estimate. I only found out it was coming when I received a notification from the carrier that it was being delivered the next day. I did not get a shipping notice from ChargePoint.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts