Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
1,191 Posts
When I reverse I can see 360 cameras, and must select manually the rear view camera each time.
Is there a way to set only rear camera automatically when reverse ?
AFAIK rear camera only is the default. The only way I've ever seen where it will "default" to the 360 camera is if your car's parking sensors happen to be very close to something.

So I WISH I had your problem - I would much PREFER that it default to 360 camera upon reverse!

EDIT: actually, I believe it's a US legal requirement that backup cameras default to a wide-angle view of at least a 10' x 20' area directly behind the car. Hence the rear-only camera is the default (unless over-ridden by parking sensors).

· Registered
1,191 Posts
My real preference would be BOTH the 360 view AND the primary backup camera on the same screen. This was the default on my previous Infiniti cars. Doesn't apper to be possible, however.

This would be much more useful than having the top half of the screen filled with a static picture of my car:
World Gadget Rectangle Line Font

· Registered
181 Posts
I also get the 360 camera as the default. I thought, but maybe I am incorrect that it stayed on whatever was last used? I haven't tried it as I want it on 360.

· Registered
549 Posts
Your backup camera (alone) should be the default when going in reverse; there is not any (known?) way to make 360 the default. However as others have stated here, the 360 camera will trigger if you have something nearby.

Example: if you park in a garage that has items/obstacles detected on the sides/front of the car, then you may see the 360 camera appear as you go into reverse. This is a precautionary measure that Volvo baked in, for your safety.

To TRULY test this— go into an empty parking lot. Put the car into park. Then go into reverse. You should likely see only the backup camera. that would indicate that indeed the 360 cam is coming on in other instances b/c of obstacle detection.

PS: I find that < 5mph while approaching a few stops signs, in an area with VERY high curbing, our 360 camera appears on our XC40 Recharge. I find it annoying TBH— but I understand the reasoning.

· Registered
181 Posts
Your backup camera (alone) should be the default when going in reverse; there is not any (known?) way to make 360 the default. However as others have stated here, the 360 camera will trigger if you have something nearby.

Example: if you park in a garage that has items/obstacles detected on the sides/front of the car, then you may see the 360 camera appear as you go into reverse. This is a precautionary measure that Volvo baked in, for your safety.

To TRULY test this— go into an empty parking lot. Put the car into park. Then go into reverse. You should likely see only the backup camera. that would indicate that indeed the 360 cam is coming on in other instances b/c of obstacle detection.

PS: I find that < 5mph while approaching a few stops signs, in an area with VERY high curbing, our 360 camera appears on our XC40 Recharge. I find it annoying TBH— but I understand the reasoning.
As per my previous reply 360 has been default of my camera / vehicle since I got it. EVERYTIME I back up, no matter where 360 is the default.

· Registered
784 Posts
So I did some testing today - on the main screen on the bottom there is a camera icon - press that and the cameras turn on - you can press the left side, right side, front and rear - so if you press the rear camera it shows strictly the rear view in the lower half of the screen - above that is black and it shows a 360 degree icon - press that and you go back to the 360 view - I put the car in reverse and the view stays in 360 - put car in drive - drive forward camera shuts off - stop put car in reverse and we have the 360 view when backing up. I do not see anywhere in settings where a particular view can be set.
It seems to me once a person has selected the 360 view that is the view that remains as the default every time we move the gear selector to reverse.
The only other thing I can think of that may cause the car camera to always default to just the rear view is that it might be possible that it is country specific based on legislation.

· Registered
1,191 Posts
Deja Vu! We had this same discussion 8 months ago in this thread that I started:
(77) P8 Backup Camera Default View | Volvo XC40 Forum

I think the consensus then was - in the US the default is rear camera only; no way to change it due to legal requirements. In other countries the default is (probably?) the last view you selected.

· Registered
XC40 Recharge Twin
202 Posts
I have found that it returns to whatever I last selected in the session I am using it. Normally it defaults to the 360 camera but if I select one of the others, normally the rear camera, it will come back to the last one I had selected the next time until I shut off the car (get out, lock and get back in) and then the next time it will be on the 360 camera unless I select something different.

· Registered
4,154 Posts
We need some of my fellow Brits to comment as well. Looks like it is a hidden “preference” per country.

Some parking situation I wish it would default 360 others I am glad it defaults rear.

But it’s not that hard to reach over and tap the screen.

I wonder if the f35 has more ui issues. Pilots wishing it would default to x and not y in life threatening situations. At least none of us are James Bond and need the right camera when reversing :)

On that note or a different one … are hand brake turns something cars will never be able to do going forward?

· Registered
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Recharge
4 Posts
I have test driven the XC40 recharge in Portugal, and I can confirm that the 360 view is the default there. I have an issue with my 360 view here in the US: the side cameras are dark in 360 view. I can select them individually, and they work fine, but when I go back to 360, they are dark. Any ideas before I take it back to the dealer?

Attachments

· Registered
4,154 Posts
That’s what mine does when the door is open so the camera is off line. Yet you’re works when you do individual … sounds like a service visit to me. :(

· Registered
465 Posts
I have test driven the XC40 recharge in Portugal, and I can confirm that the 360 view is the default there. I have an issue with my 360 view here in the US: the side cameras are dark in 360 view. I can select them individually, and they work fine, but when I go back to 360, they are dark. Any ideas before I take it back to the dealer?
have you tried an ihu reset? It usually fixes little glitches like this..

· Registered
465 Posts
I have not, only had the car for 10 days so just getting to know it. How do I perform this reset? What will be lost? Sorry, I can likely look this up in the manual...I appreciate your help.
nothing will be lost and it’s very easy. Just hold down the home button, the small rectangular button at the bottom of your center screen, hold it down until theVolvo logo appears. You will see screen cleaning mode but keep holding the button until the word Volvo (logo) appears.

· Registered
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Recharge
4 Posts
The dealer found my problem, and I want to share the fix: someone played with my mirrors while the car was parked and they were not in sync. The mirror reset is: hold down the L & R mirror select buttons for a period of time until the whole system clicks and the mirrors reset position. My 360 cameras work perfectly now, and so does the reverse tilt feature.

· Registered
2021 Glacier Silver XC40 Recharge P8
297 Posts
The dealer found my problem, and I want to share the fix: someone played with my mirrors while the car was parked and they were not in sync. The mirror reset is: hold down the L & R mirror select buttons for a period of time until the whole system clicks and the mirrors reset position. My 360 cameras work perfectly now, and so does the reverse tilt feature.
Another good tip to know -- thanks!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts