Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had our XC40 since March 2018 and the rear windshield wiper blade has started to detach from the wiper. We took it to Volvo and they wanted $30 to replace it. Really?

First, I've owned 4 SUVs in the past 20 years and never have I had to replace the rear windshield wiper blade. Never. The fronts - yes, but not the rear. Maybe I've just been lucky all this whole time...but c'mon man!

Second, I understand that this is normally considered wear & tear not covered by the warranty but less than a year for a wiper that has relatively low use? The service rep said that it's universally known (my words, but his condescending tone) to change the blades every year. Sure, for blade efficiency purposes. But not for the blade actually falling off! C'mon man!

Third, $30 for a single blade? Google it and you can easily find one for $10-$15. No, it is not new for me that a stealership charges twice as much as what you could do yourself...but c'mon man!

Fortunately, I pushed the issue up to the service department manager and he is doing us a solid by replacing it no charge. If you have this problem, you may want to do the same thing.

I know - 1st world problems.

·
Registered
58 Posts
There is nothing wrong with negotiating on something you find to be unreasonable, and charging for a faulty wiper blade is imo. If you are changing out wiper blades every single year, then I think its time to move to a different brand.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you read the packaging (if you were shown it) you'll notice it states all sorts of special technology and coatings that have yet to prove themselves in the first weeks of usage.
Learned the hard way myself that buying cheaper wiper blades from the local auto parts store is the way to go.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It might be worthwhile to find out the sizing of the blades and learn how to swap them out yourself. That's an absurd fee to charge for what's involved in replacing a wiper blade, but as you've said that's where a dealership makes all their money. You have to fight not to get nickel and dimed these days.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts