Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my XC 40 for about 1 month and have loved it. Over the weekend I took it to the carwash for the first time (same one I frequently used with the car I traded). The car wash is a convenience store/gas station, drive yourself through type, about 1 year old, with spongy roller strips that go over the top and sides, typical car wash, like I said used it routinely. Well, it ripped loose the wiper arm, bent it so it was cocked eyed at a weird angle, we got home and was able to remove the entire thing. I have had many SUV's with the same sort of wiper arm and always use all types of car washes, so this really upset me with this new vehicle. Filed a report with the gas station and then first thing Monday called the Volvo dealership to inquire about this and of course a replacement. They said they have not had any reports of this happening and offered to replace it for no charge, calling it a goodwill service, which is great. I am wondering if anyone else has had this happen??? I can't not take my car to a car wash, but will become paranoid now with my $45K+ new car. Taking it next week for the replacement and to talk about future car wash visits...

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just avoid issues like that by going to a touch-less car wash (if available). I hand washed mine last week and it took me about 1 hour to properly hand wash/dry it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, you are right, to avoid this happening, I should avoid that kind of carwash, however while waiting for the incident report at the gas station, I watched 3 SUV's go through with the rear wiper blade intact. I am in hopes that maybe it was loose for some reason, I didn't even have the opportunity to use it. I will be discussing these issues with the service department next week.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Touchless car washes are the way to go anyways.
Just for the sake of not scratching your paint is a good enough reason. I spent some time on auto detailing forums years ago and seen the horror stories. Either touchless or some detailing shop near you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I took my new Volvo XC40 (May 2019) through a car wash recently (July 2019) and had the rear wiper arm and blade break off completely at the point of attachment. I have owned SUVs for years (GM & Honda) and taken them through countless car washes with no issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also took my new 2019 XC40 (May 2019) through a car wash recently (July 2019) and had the rear windshield wiper arm break completely off at the point of attachment. I have owned SUV's for years and been through countless car washes with no issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts