Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asking the Volvo experts on this board: my rear seat passengers always complained about their seatbelts locking up and “choking” them. The seatbelts would make a “ratcheting” sound and seems to lock in. I am assuming this design is to secure child seats. Is there a way to disable this “feature” so my adult rear side passengers can have a normal seatbelt? Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Asking the Volvo experts on this board: my rear seat passengers always complained about their seatbelts locking up and “choking” them. The seatbelts would make a “ratcheting” sound and seems to lock in. I am assuming this design is to secure child seats. Is there a way to disable this “feature” so my adult rear side passengers can have a normal seatbelt? Thanks.
Hi,
This just happened with my front driver seatbelt. I was stopped at light fortunately but if I was still on the hightway
could have caused an accident! Any solution??

·
167 Posts
If you draw a rear seat belt all the way out, and then start releasing it back, it will not allow you to stop and again pull it out any further. (I think.) It’s for securing in a child seat. Could that be what your passengers have experienced?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seems that way but there ought to be a way to disable it if you are not securing a child seat. But the rear belts (all of it) do not behave like the front belts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you draw a rear seat belt all the way out, and then start releasing it back, it will not allow you to stop and again pull it out any further. (I think.) It’s for securing in a child seat. Could that be what your passengers have experienced?
Thank you. That's not what happened. The automatic tightening which happens in an accident makes
the seatbelts automatically work pushing you against the seat in case of an impact.
It's not manual in any way but thank you.

·
167 Posts
Thank you. That's not what happened. The automatic tightening which happens in an accident makes
the seatbelts automatically work pushing you against the seat in case of an impact.
It's not manual in any way but thank you.
I was responding to Watson’s original post where it did not sound as if he was describing the auto tensioning safety feature that you are.

·
167 Posts
It seems that way but there ought to be a way to disable it if you are not securing a child seat. But the rear belts (all of it) do not behave like the front belts.
The only way to disable it is to let the belt be drawn all the way back and start over. It can be alarming the first time it happens. But it’s a similar design in most cars today. You’re right that the front and rear belts behave differently to account for their unique safety needs (airbags, potential for child seats, etc)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts