Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old car is/was full LED except the rear turn signals. Exterior only, all interior lights were bulbs. I didn't care about the interior so much, but why does the XC 40 have full exterior LED's except the rear turn-signals? And, I don't really need the know why, but the how to switch to LED's, - anyone know the conversion make/part number/aftermarket, etc? Anyone convert to rear LED turn-signals?

Funny, but my last car's 'forum' had many, many pages devoted to this topic on this.....and from what I can see, no one has asked here yet. My R-Design gets here, or so I hear, in about a week & a half.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I converted my turn signals to LED - It's very easy - look up the stock bulb type and you can fine a replacement LED. I got mine off of Ebay - very bright!

·
Registered
8 Posts
don't you have any issue with the relay? It happened in old cars when switching from regular bulbs to the LED ones that relay due to low resistance could consider them as broken so as a result they were flashing twice as fast

·
Registered
66 Posts
don't you have any issue with the relay? It happened in old cars when switching from regular bulbs to the LED ones that relay due to low resistance could consider them as broken so as a result they were flashing twice as fast
No Issues at all - the XC40 relay is compatible with LEDs and does not flash faster than normal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your answers. May I ask, do you know/have the 'bulb' make and part number? (I do not have my Volvo yet....should be within a week or so).

·
Registered
6 Posts
My old car is/was full LED except the rear turn signals. Exterior only, all interior lights were bulbs. I didn't care about the interior so much, but why does the XC 40 have full exterior LED's except the rear turn-signals? And, I don't really need the know why, but the how to switch to LED's, - anyone know the conversion make/part number/aftermarket, etc? Anyone convert to rear LED turn-signals?

Funny, but my last car's 'forum' had many, many pages devoted to this topic on this.....and from what I can see, no one has asked here yet. My R-Design gets here, or so I hear, in about a week & a half.
I converted both my brake and turn signals to LEDs. They have been working perfectly for about 9 months. No issues with the turn signals flashing than normal. The XC-40 will also give an error code if the bulb is incompatible. I live in the US, but I ordered them for Amazon, UK with the part no:
2x RZG Amber 581 PY21W BAU15s Bayonet Bulb 50W LED Sidelight Side Indicator Turn Signal Tail Stop Light DRL.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, sir. I will look into to this when I can....I don't have the car yet, so I can probably wait. I came to understand that my car is a bit delayed - another month. It's a good problem for Volvo to have, but a frustrating one if you are the end customer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you, sir. I will look into to this when I can....I don't have the car yet, so I can probably wait. I came to understand that my car is a bit delayed - another month. It's a good problem for Volvo to have, but a frustrating one if you are the end customer.
The bulbs that I listed above is just for the turn signals. I used a different bulb for the brake lights. I can't seem to find the bulb spec, but I will keed looking a post it here. Hope you get your car soon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The bulbs that I listed above is just for the turn signals. I used a different bulb for the brake lights. I can't seem to find the bulb spec, but I will keed looking a post it here. Hope you get your car soon.
I picked up my car late Friday afternoon, after being told it would be another month - that was a nice surprise. I didn't realize the brake lights were old school as well - I could have deduced that if I re-read your post. I thought the tall/vertical lights were 'brake lights', they are LED running lights....That's hard to see when you are test driving a vehicle. I'll replace brake 'bulbs' with LED as well. Looks simple enough.

I got the R-Design with most of the bells/whistles, 20" wheels. Playing/learning the touch screen. I do wish Volvo had a few more buttons/dials rather than dictating a touch screen - but I knew this before I went in. I talked to the Service Department Head and he mentioned 'congrats, your the fist to know about a recall - we just received this 4 hours ago'. A software issue with emergency auto-brakes. All-n-all though, I am impressed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts