Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old car is/was full LED except the rear turn signals. Exterior only, all interior lights were bulbs. I didn't care about the interior so much, but why does the XC 40 have full exterior LED's except the rear turn-signals? And, I don't really need the know why, but the how to switch to LED's, - anyone know the conversion make/part number/aftermarket, etc? Anyone convert to rear LED turn-signals?

Funny, but my last car's 'forum' had many, many pages devoted to this topic on this.....and from what I can see, no one has asked here yet. My R-Design gets here, or so I hear, in about a week & a half.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I converted my turn signals to LED - It's very easy - look up the stock bulb type and you can fine a replacement LED. I got mine off of Ebay - very bright!

·
Registered
16 Posts
don't you have any issue with the relay? It happened in old cars when switching from regular bulbs to the LED ones that relay due to low resistance could consider them as broken so as a result they were flashing twice as fast

·
Registered
81 Posts
don't you have any issue with the relay? It happened in old cars when switching from regular bulbs to the LED ones that relay due to low resistance could consider them as broken so as a result they were flashing twice as fast
No Issues at all - the XC40 relay is compatible with LEDs and does not flash faster than normal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your answers. May I ask, do you know/have the 'bulb' make and part number? (I do not have my Volvo yet....should be within a week or so).

·
Registered
9 Posts
My old car is/was full LED except the rear turn signals. Exterior only, all interior lights were bulbs. I didn't care about the interior so much, but why does the XC 40 have full exterior LED's except the rear turn-signals? And, I don't really need the know why, but the how to switch to LED's, - anyone know the conversion make/part number/aftermarket, etc? Anyone convert to rear LED turn-signals?

Funny, but my last car's 'forum' had many, many pages devoted to this topic on this.....and from what I can see, no one has asked here yet. My R-Design gets here, or so I hear, in about a week & a half.
I converted both my brake and turn signals to LEDs. They have been working perfectly for about 9 months. No issues with the turn signals flashing than normal. The XC-40 will also give an error code if the bulb is incompatible. I live in the US, but I ordered them for Amazon, UK with the part no:
2x RZG Amber 581 PY21W BAU15s Bayonet Bulb 50W LED Sidelight Side Indicator Turn Signal Tail Stop Light DRL.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, sir. I will look into to this when I can....I don't have the car yet, so I can probably wait. I came to understand that my car is a bit delayed - another month. It's a good problem for Volvo to have, but a frustrating one if you are the end customer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you, sir. I will look into to this when I can....I don't have the car yet, so I can probably wait. I came to understand that my car is a bit delayed - another month. It's a good problem for Volvo to have, but a frustrating one if you are the end customer.
The bulbs that I listed above is just for the turn signals. I used a different bulb for the brake lights. I can't seem to find the bulb spec, but I will keed looking a post it here. Hope you get your car soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The bulbs that I listed above is just for the turn signals. I used a different bulb for the brake lights. I can't seem to find the bulb spec, but I will keed looking a post it here. Hope you get your car soon.
I picked up my car late Friday afternoon, after being told it would be another month - that was a nice surprise. I didn't realize the brake lights were old school as well - I could have deduced that if I re-read your post. I thought the tall/vertical lights were 'brake lights', they are LED running lights....That's hard to see when you are test driving a vehicle. I'll replace brake 'bulbs' with LED as well. Looks simple enough.

I got the R-Design with most of the bells/whistles, 20" wheels. Playing/learning the touch screen. I do wish Volvo had a few more buttons/dials rather than dictating a touch screen - but I knew this before I went in. I talked to the Service Department Head and he mentioned 'congrats, your the fist to know about a recall - we just received this 4 hours ago'. A software issue with emergency auto-brakes. All-n-all though, I am impressed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I picked up my car late Friday afternoon, after being told it would be another month - that was a nice surprise. I didn't realize the brake lights were old school as well - I could have deduced that if I re-read your post. I thought the tall/vertical lights were 'brake lights', they are LED running lights....That's hard to see when you are test driving a vehicle. I'll replace brake 'bulbs' with LED as well. Looks simple enough.

I got the R-Design with most of the bells/whistles, 20" wheels. Playing/learning the touch screen. I do wish Volvo had a few more buttons/dials rather than dictating a touch screen - but I knew this before I went in. I talked to the Service Department Head and he mentioned 'congrats, your the fist to know about a recall - we just received this 4 hours ago'. A software issue with emergency auto-brakes. All-n-all though, I am impressed.

So I finally got my LED turn signal bulbs in. I could find them nowhere local and ordered online. There was a delay because of the Covid 19 and these are made in Chine (because, of course...). Well, couldn't have been much easier to switch out and work/look great. It looks 'modern' and with a car like this, I can't believe they aren't spec'd! I'll get the brake lights now.....and probably have to wait (a little less? as I believe the lock-down is easing in China). Thanks William513....hope your safe.

·
167 Posts
Thanks to those who shared good info. I also can’t believe the car doesn’t come with full LED rear lighting but I’m glad to know there are options that work well. I will also make the swap this summer once I buy the car after the subscription is up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anyone have an update on brake bulb type for an led replacement?
You know, I forget the name of the company - but they were in Georgia (the US State....not the state in Russia). They were like $10-12? Plug and play - super easy. You'll need the Canbus variety (so you don't need an in-line resistor) and the bayonet 15 style (listed as BAY15). It took me 20 minutes to find on-line...…..much longer than it took to install them. Very small - about an inch in length and a 1/4" in diameter?? You can also order 'intensity' and I ordered the same/same - it's written on the stock/OEM bulb in the car.

There is a funky bracket that holds the bulbs in place. A wing nut style 'nut' holds the bracket firmly in place. One of my two sides was screwed on impressively tight - I was afraid I may break it - but it finally was persuaded off....the other was a much nicer 'firm, but hand tight'. I'm not really sure of the purpose on the wing-nut bracket as all three bulbs (brake, turn, back-up) are a push-in and twist to lock them style. Regardless.....

The turn indicator bulbs popped in just as easy. They were from another manufacturer, cost about the same and again (for ease) I got the Canbus style and you'll need the BAY15. You can also choose intensity. So about $20 per left/right side.....voila'. I did not worry/bother with the rear fog or backup lights - but they too are incandescent. Still a mystery why the XC40 does not come standard with full rear LED - I'm sure they will, and I believe the XC60/90 do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts