Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been driving our 2022 XC40 Ultimate for just over 3 weeks now, came with SW 1.7 installed, couple of bugs with the VOC app, but nothing we couldn't work through, have only had to reset to the IHU once, and that was to pair a second phone. Love driving the car, it was the only EV in the $60k range and lower that we wanted. This forum has been an invaluable resource, and thanks to all that contribute.

Question on the brightness on the rear camera, there are no street lights where we live, and backing out of the 150' driveway can be a little tricky when it's dark out with little to no moonlight. Our other ICE cars have a brightness control for the rear camera, but I'm unable to find anything in the manual or in the controls that would allow an increase in camera brightness, anywhere here aware of a brightness control?

· Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
1,493 Posts
I don’t think you can control the brightness of the rear camera...just the displays in general brightness can be controlled by the “thumb wheel” controller that also controls the instrument display brightness. Just check to make sure that’s on full brightness.

· Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
1,191 Posts
Also as I've personally learned this time of year - a good idea to periodically wipe off the rain & mud from each of the 4 exterior cameras. Can make a big difference in image visibility :)

· Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, I just went out (evening here without any significant moonlight), and tried turning up the brightness of the center display, that did the trick, much better clarity through the length of our driveway. I typically set interior brightness to a low value as that's my preference for night driving, but this is a good workaround, thanks!

· Registered
4,154 Posts
I have found that my rear camera adjust perfectly all the way from pitch black night through suburban night to bright sunlight. It always makes the right choice.

· Registered
28 Posts
I have this same problem -150 foot driveway that I have to back out of. The problem is perhaps threefold, any one of which might solve the issues of rearward camera visibility.
1) dim reverse lights, compounded by poor aiming (too high)
2) automatic aperture on camera impacted by the license plate and silver paint visible within view. The license plate light illuminates these edge areas brightly and thus the actual driveway is dimmed as a result.
3) screen brightness

I think the biggest problem is the intrusion of the brightly lit license and trunk into the frame as seen here:
Automotive lighting Automotive design Gadget Personal luxury car Audio equipment

Also not that the brake lights are on here - they are much brighter than reverse white lights. I have tried a workaround of riding the brakes while reversing to gain extra brightness. But very difficult with my OPD setting.

· Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
1,493 Posts
On a similar vein, is there any way to black out the centre screen for night driving? I guess maybe you could go into “screen cleaning mode” but would be nice to have a night mode where you could switch it to black and it would just stay that way but come back “on” with a touch.

· Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
1,191 Posts
On a similar vein, is there any way to black out the centre screen for night driving? I guess maybe you could go into “screen cleaning mode” but would be nice to have a night mode where you could switch it to black and it would just stay that way but come back “on” with a touch.
From what I’ve seen, there’s just two screen brightness settings - for night and day, tied to whether headlights are on. Some type of “screen saver” temp mode would be nice.

· Registered
4,154 Posts
I’ve discovered that turning on the rear fog lights helps a lot while backing up into darkness.
Remind me how you turn the rear fog lights on please.

Put it in cleaning mode :) the hold the reset button down until it goes bank so you can clean it :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.