Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed new rear brakes at 27k, is this normal? Volvo told me I will need front breaks at the next oil change. Seems earlyl to me. Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I was told by the dealer where I bought my XC40 that the rear brake pads will wear out before the front pads on the XC40. As to the mileage, it is completely depended on where you drive(city, winding roads vs. freeway etc.)and your driving style.

·
170 Posts
Pads or rotors? Neither is normal at so few miles. I just got new rotors x4 at 26k miles because they were defective, but the pads were still fine. I’ve read about enough people getting new rotors prematurely to believe there was an issue with their rotor supplier in early production.

·
Registered
19 Posts
A couple of thoughts - how the rears would wear out before the fronts is hard to understand. Your car will tell you when its time to replace the brake pads. All modern cars have a brake wear sensor that will indicate when its getting close to the time to replace the brakes. With the exception of braking in reverse 80% of the braking happens with the front brake system. I would also expect the front brake PADS to need to be replaced well before the rotors. Be careful of "service recommendations " and refer to the manual.

·
Registered
84 Posts
A couple of thoughts - how the rears would wear out before the fronts is hard to understand. Your car will tell you when its time to replace the brake pads. All modern cars have a brake wear sensor that will indicate when its getting close to the time to replace the brakes. With the exception of braking in reverse 80% of the braking happens with the front brake system. I would also expect the front brake PADS to need to be replaced well before the rotors. Be careful of "service recommendations " and refer to the manual.
Very common in newer cars as the brake bias between front and rear with stability control has changed. My company supplied 2017 Ford Explorer has had two sets of rear pads and the front pads are still fine after 65K miles. The Volvo dealer where we bought our XC40 also stated that the rear pads will wear out well before the front pads. My other vehicle is a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee that also wears out the rear pads before the front. This goes against all my past experiences with vehicles.

Dan

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi everyone,
The rear brake may wear faster if you used auto hold braking. ( my personal opinion)
My preview experience with my 2018 S90 brakes wear the pads front and rear at 18k milles most city driving. I called Volvo customer service and they help me out.
if you have problem, Volvo will find the solution, it is all depend the way you approach.
Brake it is wearing item so that right, no warranty, I had a Avalon Hybrid replace the front rotor at 2k miles, I was driving really fast on rain day ( Hybrid+Fast=don’t match) after I understand more my car and I changed it front & read pads and rotor at 100k miles.
Any manufacturer whenever launch new model come with bug, but every year they learn from it and start fixing it.
Best Wishes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you so much. Volvo will not assist as they state this is normal wear and tear, which is clearly not the case. I also do not use auto hold.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Opinion is no substitute for fact. Hill hold takes effect only after the brakes have stopped the vehicle. I suppose a nit picking argument might be made that the milliseconds of drag as the brakes release might be ascribed to hill hold. Or to the driver taking his (or her) foot off the brakes when starting to move.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts