Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep having this issue backing out of my garage where the automatic braking engages, scaring the #%$^ out of me and everyone else in the car. I have a standard 3 car garage with one single and one double bay... I park on the left side of the double bay although this has happened a few months back once coming out of the single.

I'm not sure if this is a problem with 2.2, but it has happened 4x in the last week so I'm assuming this is a bug with the new software. Is there a way to turn the automatic braking off in the meantime? I generally don't mind being an early adopter with my EV, but there's something about violent phantom braking that really angers me.

·
Registered
158 Posts
You can turn off auto braking and sensors from the rear camera view. I did that for a while but got fed up and now reverse out like a nervous 90 year old first time driver :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, I found the setting. So I guess I just need to turn that off every time I get in the car, or is there a more permanent setting I can't seem to find

·
Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
1,104 Posts
Thanks for the info, I found the setting. So I guess I just need to turn that off every time I get in the car, or is there a more permanent setting I can't seem to find
No permanent setting AFAIK. I believe legal regulations (at least here in the US) prohibit disabling safety features permanently.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Apologize to the admins, as there are several other threads on this topic. Oh boy, well it seems Volvo is at least going to be aware of the problem sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I noticed as I triggered the back up auto brake system yesterday that there was a dashboard message telling me it had deployed.

I do not remember that being displayed before.

My alert was appropriate as the car did not know the object I was backing into was soft :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I noticed as I triggered the back up auto brake system yesterday that there was a dashboard message telling me it had deployed.

I do not remember that being displayed before.

My alert was appropriate as the car did not know the object I was backing into was soft :)
Ya there's no mistaking the force when it engages... feels like you hit a brick wall. For me it has shown the message on the dashboard every time.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
If one knows it will deploy at a certain point can it be avoided by going slow through that point? The p8 goes slow in a way an ice never could.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
496 Posts
I agree with @SeattleCat. Like @Reggi, I have the same garage configuration. I recommend listening for the warning tones. It's similar to a geiger counter with increasing intensity before the brakes will engage. Going slower just beforehand seems like a way to let it know you are aware and in control.

Reactions: SeattleCat

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is one of the few cases where 2.2 is actually better in my use case. I'm backing out into a busy street, but with parking at the curb, so I'm "protected" from traffic. In 1.8, this would trigger the auto-brake about once a week, which in turn triggered a stream of obscenity from the driver and passenger. That console alert really needs a "No, that was not OK" option to dismiss it.

Since 2.2, it's triggered once, and someone was truly diving across the corner of the nearest parked car... that was probably legit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I keep having this issue backing out of my garage where the automatic braking engages, scaring the #%$^ out of me and everyone else in the car. I have a standard 3 car garage with one single and one double bay... I park on the left side of the double bay although this has happened a few months back once coming out of the single.

I'm not sure if this is a problem with 2.2, but it has happened 4x in the last week so I'm assuming this is a bug with the new software. Is there a way to turn the automatic braking off in the meantime? I generally don't mind being an early adopter with my EV, but there's something about violent phantom braking that really angers me.
I get a lot of false alarms with me backing into the garage (so that it can charge since the supplied charger wont reach the outlet parking in forward). it is a as a massive nuance with the system thinking that im going to collide with the pressure washer off the the right of the garage. This is backing In very slowly and it slams on the brakes even under 3 to 4 mph I hate it. Im going to try to disable it before i park like mentioned above. It certainly got more sensitive after the 2.2 update.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If one knows it will deploy at a certain point can it be avoided by going slow through that point? The p8 goes slow in a way an ice never could.
I have a very narrow garage and have to back out extremely slowly. Couldn't say how slow, since I never look at the speed - mostly because I would worry missing something and scratching up Sven - but it isn't even walking-speed. And no, that doesn't help, the P8 would still sometimes break like hitting a wall, which is especially scary, when you are aware that might happen at any moment anyway. (I am not on 2.2, but 2.1)

I agree with @SeattleCat. Like @Reggi, I have the same garage configuration. I recommend listening for the warning tones. It's similar to a geiger counter with increasing intensity before the brakes will engage. Going slower just beforehand seems like a way to let it know you are aware and in control.
See above, no it doesn't always help. My car is on high alert (with the geiger counter, as you say) the whole time I am backing out of the garage and I am driving extremely slowly and "aware and in control".
Also: 2 out of 3 times there was no apparent reason for the sudden breaking. Only once a car actually crossed behind me.

It is interesting how hefty the breaking can be, even if you roll (I can't even call it drive) so slowly a snail could overtake you.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
496 Posts
See above, no it doesn't always help. My car is on high alert (with the geiger counter, as you say) the whole time I am backing out of the garage and I am driving extremely slowly and "aware and in control".
Also: 2 out of 3 times there was no apparent reason for the sudden breaking. Only once a car actually crossed behind me.
If your car is beeping that aggressively, then you still should be able to move at a crawl, like <1 km/h without it engaging RAB.
I'm not saying that Volvo has a well-tuned system, but I'm just giving advice on how to live with its deficiencies. There are other less safe suggestions like turning off RAB each time or getting a trailer dongle if you have the hitch option.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 3month old c40 is after getting worse with the false emergency braking since 2.2 update.

I drive with one pedal mode on. Up until last week the problem was a nuisance but last week while parallel parking near my house the auto brake triggered slamming me into the seat. There was nothing behind me so the auto break released, this one was different in that the the car took off slowly by itself and mounted the kerb damaging my new driver side rim.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

I'm furious :mad:
The car slams the brakes taking away your control, and then immediately throws control right back at you again when you'd just been gut punched in the seat. I've been on the phone shouting at volvo to do something. I have someone looking into whether the software can be downgraded back to what was there before. Or maybe with installation of the towbar, that can be used to disable the auto brake.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
My 3month old c40 is after getting worse with the false emergency braking since 2.2 update.

I drive with one pedal mode on. Up until last week the problem was a nuisance but last week while parallel parking near my house the auto brake triggered slamming me into the seat. There was nothing behind me so the auto break released, this one was different in that the the car took off slowly by itself and mounted the kerb damaging my new driver side rim.

View attachment 4484

I'm furious :mad:
The car slams the brakes taking away your control, and then immediately throws control right back at you again when you'd just been gut punched in the seat. I've been on the phone shouting at volvo to do something. I have someone looking into whether the software can be downgraded back to what was there before. Or maybe with installation of the towbar, that can be used to disable the auto brake.
Sorry that happened to your car.

How fast were you going that the brakes deploying was a gut punch?

Did you press the accelerator after the gut punch?

I must be missing something as it sounds like you were parking traveling fast enough that hard braking shocked you (though braking is limited by the traction of the tires and is not infinite though the rate of change of acceleration makes it even more unpleasant).

So after this braking the car returned control to you and you then lost control of it mounting the curb?

Other than not braking (though it sounds like you were moving fast and it thought it was going to hit something so deployed) what would you of liked the car to of done?

I must be missing some nuance here.

Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry that happened to your car.

How fast were you going that the brakes deploying was a gut punch?

Did you press the accelerator after the gut punch?

I must be missing something as it sounds like you were parking traveling fast enough that hard braking shocked you (though braking is limited by the traction of the tires and is not infinite though the rate of change of acceleration makes it even more unpleasant).

So after this braking the car returned control to you and you then lost control of it mounting the curb?

Other than not braking (though it sounds like you were moving fast and it thought it was going to hit something so deployed) what would you of liked the car to of done?

I must be missing some nuance here.

Cheers
I was backing in very slowly. Literally 2mph most probably. A brisk walking pace. I know it doesn't sound like much but when the brakes slam on unexpectedly without reason you get a shock. (If you dispute this then try put on a blindfold & walking into a brick wall, without hands outstretched to protect you). I was single peddle driving. After the car jolted stopped it immediately released the brake again this time the car rolled off on it's own accord backwards without me in control for a split second (it shouldn't do this on one pedal mode, more on this below*). I was still trying to figure out what the F just happened. You don't use the brake for low speed manoeuvres therefor my right foot was not hovering over the brake at the time. I had the steering wheel turned as I was edging in the front part of the car for parking beside the kerb this and the backwards movement put the front driver wheel over the kerb.

*It's a bit of a blur. I don't think I hit the accelerator. I'll say it again I really don't think so. But it would seem likely that the car released control back to me and after the judder of the incident maybe it caused me to hit the accelerator. I'd love to see telemetry from immediately after the incident to confirm what I think, which is that the car released the brake and rolled off on it's own accord.

The car has already triggered the auto brake three times this week on me, one of these was a grass patch growing up on unkept tarmac (which you could say is legitimate) I've to do some driving over the weekend so I'm sure I'll encounter this phantom emergency braking behaviour more this weekend.

You asked what I wanted. I want to be able to reverse my new car without constantly feeling that it's trying to kill me :(

·
Registered
234 Posts
It might be a pain, but until you can get some resolution, suggest you disable automatic braking when you're backing up, though have to do it everytime you're backing up as you can't permanently disable it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts