Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

i will be dipping my toes in the EV waters with an electric SUV sometime this year.

the XC40 Recharge is on my list of possible vehicles.

pre-pandemic i traveled 800 miles a week, twice a month and did a couple of 300+ miles holidays a year. we are a family of 3 adults with one of them being 6 ft 2.

so range, headroom and leg room, comfort and style are important.

will love to hear owners' real world range and also what you like and don't like about the XC40R

·
Registered
296 Posts
Cleveland, Ohio. Summer months 75-85F high temps. Average efficiency indicates ~200 miles of real world range. In my past experience (20+ other EVs), winter months will see 30% reduction of that (based on below freezing Ohio temps). YRMV. Big factors are things like speed (less range on freeway vs surface/side roads), and temp.

Overall, the range/efficiency of our XC40 P8 is not as amazing as our Tesla Model Y, but we'd still take the Volvo over it due to fit/finish, comfort, etc. That said, the VOC app is flaky (read forums to learn more about that). Charging on long trips is not difficult, at least here in Midwest USA where there are ElectrifyAmerica chargers all over 90-120 miles apart, making it easy to do journeys that span a long distance. Most days you just charge at home, though.

Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
114 Posts
hi,

i will be dipping my toes in the EV waters with an electric SUV sometime this year.

the XC40 Recharge is on my list of possible vehicles.

pre-pandemic i traveled 800 miles a week, twice a month and did a couple of 300+ miles holidays a year. we are a family of 3 adults with one of them being 6 ft 2.

so range, headroom and leg room, comfort and style are important.

will love to hear owners' real world range and also what you like and don't like about the XC40R
Getting about 248 over the last 1300 miles. Efficiency 31.3 kWh/100 miles. Most of my driving is from 7400 feet elevation at our home to 5500 or so and back. Relatively small percent on the interstate.

·
Registered
373 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
@DeaneG — my theory about this has long been that Tesla needs to wow people so they claim the highest possible figures. On the flip side legacy makers want to retain customers, especially loyal ones, so they would rather under promise and over achieve. This can be seen in horsepower/0-60 speed claims my makers for the past decades.

That said, comparing the mi/wh and other figures, it is clear that the efficiency of the XC40 P8 pales compared to the competition. Driving my wife’s 2020 Model Y LR AWD the same way/distances we drive our P8, sure we don’t get the ~300 miles Tesla claimed, but in a battery pack that is nearly the same as the Volvo, we still got 20% more miles than the Volvo does in similar conditions. And in an electric car, that can be quite an important difference.

For those who live in colder climates will soon see when they attempt winter road trips, the biggest issue this tends to pose is the need to DC fast charge Past 80% in order to “reach the next charger” — when your speed is down to 25-40 kW charging speed for that last 5-10% … its a loooooooong wait…. :p

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Like bristlecone, I too am getting about 31.1 kWh per 100 miles. That equates to 3.2 miles per kWH so with 75 kWh of battery 100-0 would be about 240 miles, for a car EPA rated for 208 miles. I do drive rather conservative. You should read the other threads to get a full understanding of what people are liking or disliking. One thing I like is is Lois like any normal car and just like the gas XC40. Like many new entries into EV market, it has bugs and quirks. It rides great and feels very luxurious, more so than the identical gas version, and I should know we have identical gas and EV XC40s. If you drive 800 miles a week a hardwired 48 amp EVSE will be helpful so you can recharge up quickly. If you have frequent days of over 150miles I am not sure this is the right car since in cold winter months 180 miles may be the safe range. I am 6 foot and the seating is great, I have plenty of room and the seat is very supportive.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I am 6”2 and the car is perfectly comfy. I did add two pads for knees. But rarely do cars have knee padding.

Range wise I have found on problems and we cannot charge at home. With home charging the car would be even more of a dream.

Drives amazingly. The instant torque is wonderful. It is so smooth. The opd handles breaking perfectly in most situations leading to a deceleration smoothness hard to achieve with mechanical breaking.

It has quirks, it is missing some software that will be coming. Would I buy it again as is. **** yes. The ice version of the same car feels horrible in comparison.

I delight every time I am in a small space (garage for example) and there are no emissions. So nice that just being around your car in the wrong space will not kill you.

Come on in the water is quite lovely

Reactions: shawkinaw

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
One thing to keep in mind with an EV and charging at home is to see if your eclectic company offers any incentives to charge off peak hours or rebates on the EVSE. My eclectic company gave me $250 bill credit toward my EVSE, considering I paid $600 for it and the Federal Tax credit will kick in another $200 that makes it rathe inexpensive. My eclectic company also offers a "NiteFlex" rate to incentivize what they call "Super off peak" (12am - 6am) usage by giving me 400 kWh each month during those hours. So with 1500 miles over 3 months on my car it has cost me about $10 so far in electricity. Once summer heat declines and my AC does not run much at night I can see that being $0 for 6-8 months a year. Since we have a T5 as well the same miles would cost about $220 in gas. Considering my car was out of service for about 2 weeks in the 11 I have had it I except that savings to increase as the P8 is our primary and the T5 is only when we both need to use a car at the same time. Not sure how all this translate to the UK, but some items to consider.

Like @SeattleCat Even though I have been very vocal about Volvo's misses on this car, I would absolutely buy it again (assuming no more sustained visits to the dealer for repairs). There are not many choices if you want a proper SUV EV as all the other are rather low to the ground. The ID.4 would probably be the closet direct competitor as a real SUV, but it is down market. in materials and options. The Mach-E is lower to the ground that my old sedan. I had an ID.4 on order from March until I purchased the P8 then cancelled it. There are posts on other threads about my comparison of the 2.

And BTW on this charge I am at 100 miles using about 42% of the battery.

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
121 Posts
We have only driven our new XC40 EV for a max of about 150 miles one day. My wife uses it for local errands. BUT we recently took our first trip in our Tesla X which has an expected range of 360 miles. Tesla's onboard route planner does not allow variables and for the trip it only had us stopping twice and spending over an hour at each of the SuperCharger locations to charge. But with reading several FB Groups I knew of the APP called "A Better Route Planner." You get to set variables and as a result I chose a "time to recharge" when the battery was at 20% and a max "charge fill" of 80%. Sure, you will stop more frequently but you will take much less time to fill to the 80%. It provided a suggested 4 stops. Well, at our age, driving for 3 hours+ will not work for our bladder so stopping every 1 ½-2 hours works much better and we timed the one stop for lunch at a turnpike rest area/charger.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 20", Heat Pump.
60 Posts
One thing I do like about modes - in some cars it can regulate the aggressiveness on adaptive cruise control. In previous cars, Sport mode allowed the adaptive cruise to brake and accelerate aggressively, but in Eco mode, it was far more conservative. I use adaptive cruise almost all the time. It is a huge bonus in around town traffic here. In town I like it to be as aggressive as possible, on the highway I like it to be more calm. I love how Volvos adaptive cruise starts accelerating as soon as you start changing lanes on the highway, so smooth.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I also like the at you can set the adaptive cruise controls distance from the car in front. Honestly I do not use cruise control much as a like driving too much but if I had to commute again (next life) adaptive will be in my to use list :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I also like the at you can set the adaptive cruise controls distance from the car in front. Honestly I do not use cruise control much as a like driving too much but if I had to commute again (next life) adaptive will be in my to use list :)
My commute is 5 miles and takes 20 to 30 mins of constant stop and go. Adaptive cruise saves my sanity. I wish the car was smart enough to resume when traffic started moving, it does if it is only a couple of seconds, but I am usually stopped longer than that. A quick tap of the accelerator and I am back in business.

·
Registered
60 Posts
One thing I do like about modes - in some cars it can regulate the aggressiveness on adaptive cruise control. In previous cars, Sport mode allowed the adaptive cruise to brake and accelerate aggressively, but in Eco mode, it was far more conservative. I use adaptive cruise almost all the time. It is a huge bonus in around town traffic here. In town I like it to be as aggressive as possible, on the highway I like it to be more calm. I love how Volvos adaptive cruise starts accelerating as soon as you start changing lanes on the highway, so smooth.
Sorry - just realized I put this in the wrong conversation.

·
Registered
133 Posts
... Adaptive cruise saves my sanity. I wish the car was smart enough to resume when traffic started moving, it does if it is only a couple of seconds, but I am usually stopped longer than that. A quick tap of the accelerator and I am back in business.
You can also hit the Resume button (Top button on the D pad) as soon as the car ahead starts moving, and ACC will re-engage. I too wish it would stay engaged longer after coming to a complete stop.

Reactions: Jim

·
Registered
60 Posts
You can also hit the Resume button (Top button on the D pad) as soon as the car ahead starts moving, and ACC will re-engage. I too wish it would stay engaged longer after coming to a complete stop.
Thanks for the tip! I am working on the muscle memory for that.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Last week drove 115 miles on 48% of battery this week ironically another 115 miles, but on 49% of battery. Temps have been on low 80s during day, low 70s at night. Very pleased with the range. Today some woman in a Genesis sedan thought she would show me how fast she was trying to pass around me and I just punched it and she was gone in my rear view mirror.

·
Registered
2021 Glacier Silver XC40 Recharge P8
181 Posts
I'm consistently getting below 30.0 kWh/100 miles. My last 200 miles in 90+ heat with A/C on 74 degrees and mixed suburban traffic conditions (even punchiing it a few times) have averaged 29.5. Doing the math that's approximately 250 mile range. I've been very pleased with no issues so far with my P8 (2/21 build) and would buy another. Anxiously waiting for VOC (now VC) to mature.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts