Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Yesterday I was city driving and noticed how much more you can drive with higher temperatures.
16.3kWh per 100km @ 24 degrees celcius.
That makes a range of 460km or 285 miles possible.

·
Registered
279 Posts
It's 24 degC not 24 degF.
So warm enough~

Anyway I never see that low consumption yet.
yes, I meant that it's 24C now, but cold before with worse range (10C?). Wondering if the range loss in cold weather was due to resistive heating rather than heat pump. That's nice low consumption!

·
Premium Member
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
240 Posts
Anyway I never see that low consumption yet.
I’ve seen efficiency as low as 17.6 kWh/100 mi., albeit it was a short trip, the temperature was 70F-ish and I’m a conservative driver. My cumulative efficiency over 500+ miles (have not reset the trip computer yet) is 31.6 kWh/100 mi.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Did they not initially say they were going to offer them then the withdrew that and switched to the no option and no availability … which is odd with Canadian winters and all.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sorry about the cross-posting. The day before yesterday, as I was driving the XC40 P8, I saw an error message appear on the driver display about not having enough battery charge. I cannot recall the exact wording of the error message because it came and went so quickly. I also saw a picture of a turtle appear on the display for a few minutes and then disappear immediately. I checked the battery status and the car had about 67% battery left according to the driver display. I also double-checked by asking Google for the range and it reported 175 miles. I have not seen the message appear again and the car drove fine. Has anyone else seen this happen?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Not seen it … sounds like a software or sensor glitch.
If the car thinks you are low on charge it will regard your energy usage so it is something to keep an eye out for.

Add to the list of things that will need looking at if she goes in for a service?

Reactions: Seattleman

·
Registered
4 Posts
Haven't tried the one pedal driving yet, but I hear it helps with range. Can others confirm this is true? Thanks

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I actually tried OPD, but it is very aggressive, since my wife drives the car and hates OPD we leave it off. I just coast more and get into the regen brakes as needed.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Haven't tried the one pedal driving yet, but I hear it helps with range. Can others confirm this is true? Thanks
Give opd 4 hours to get used to it. By then you should be addicted and never want to go back. Of course everyone is different so as he Keith said you can always drive without it but opd is honestly a delight. My wife hated the idea swore she would never use it. 2 hour in and she wants ice cars to have an opd mode :)

More efficient? I would guess that breaking done perfectly ( never breaking past the regen threshold ) should result in the same result as opd unless there is some technical efficiency that we do not know about that comes from the battery spending a lot of time tricking charge in and out.

Try it and let us know :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OPD is for me one of the top three highlights of the XC40. So fun to drive, Much smoother city driving.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo P8. MFD 3/21. June update. White aka ORKA.
624 Posts
I’ve seen efficiency as low as 17.6 kWh/100 mi., albeit it was a short trip, the temperature was 70F-ish and I’m a conservative driver. My cumulative efficiency over 500+ miles (have not reset the trip computer yet) is 31.6 kWh/100 mi.
3 weeks of driving 50-50 highway and suburban, averaging 32.6 kWh/100 mi. in 80s temperature. I'd never seen it dip below 30 kWh on any of my drive routes even if I'm abiding by speed limits in the suburbs......HHmmm...... Interesting ! Regardless GOOD TO KNOW some drivers are getting < 20 kWh !!

Speakin of which, a while back Volvo had published of "improved range" with the latest software update (which most of us, if not all, already have) - Does anyone know how many miles of "improvement" that is ? Don't think Volvo ever formally published ANY numbers.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
That's good, yesterday as around 90F here and my average for the day was 36-37kWh/100mi, usually I am around 32-33 with back roads 12 mile commute. I keep the AC at 70F and it was cranking yesterday. at 5am when it is like 70F my commute i can get 26-27kWh/100. I will be happy if I can average 33-38.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I had a over while my P8 was in getting the smashed glass repaired. . . The xc40 loaner feels like a completely different car. . .hate its gps. . .dilisked having to push the start button and release the break!!! And then the lack of OPD.

˙ave you tried putting your foot all the way down then screaming WHY is that all you have :)

å shame they cannot roll EV into more of their car lines sooner…

·
Registered
2021 Volvo P8. MFD 3/21. June update. White aka ORKA.
624 Posts
Same here. With my P8 in the shop, I've got an ICE XC40 loaner and I really don't like it, mainly because I miss the OPD.
Same here -- STILL in the shop -- they're supposedly replacing the pads and rotors. I ahve the S60 T5 loaner, i felt like it was SO LOUD ! We're spoiled !
Hope to get the car back today claiming Parts were ordered and arriving today. Car's been there since last Thursday - I MISS IT. In short, they have NO CLUE what they're dealing with so probably taking them longer to diagnose. Had to show them several posts on Brakes from this Forum to "help" them with their diagnosis !

1 - 20 of 31 Posts