Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the "Range Optimizer" button in the new Range Assistant app in v1.7 actually does? I turned it on during a 20 minute drive this morning. The car stayed comfortably cool (72 degrees) but it was only 78 and sunny outside. Before I turned it on, the Climate Control arc looked pretty much like this. After I turned it on, the Climate Control arc was just a tiny bit of blue, much like the Speed arc appears in this photo.

Mobile phone Telephony Telephone Communication Device Portable communications device

·
Registered
101 Posts
Does anyone know what the "Range Optimizer" button in the new Range Assistant app in v1.7 actually does? I turned it on during a 20 minute drive this morning. The car stayed comfortably cool (72 degrees) but it was only 78 and sunny outside. Before I turned it on, the Climate Control arc looked pretty much like this. After I turned it on, the Climate Control arc was just a tiny bit of blue, much like the Speed arc appears in this photo.

View attachment 1403
it tells you what it does when you click it

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge P8 - Thunder Gray
34 Posts

View attachment 1403
Whoa! That is a new feature. Most of us don't have this updated version yet. Good to know. :geek:

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Interesting, I have avoided trying it not knowing what it would do. A good thing to add to range optimization would be to taper the power ramp.

Reactions: Gaffaa

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
100 Posts
So if it limits climate control couldn't you just do the same thing by turning off the AC?
You can turn the AC on and off (snowflake button in climate settings) but I don’t think that prevents the heater from running. From what I can tell, the only way to turn it off is to really turn it off (in the fan setting) which then means you don’t get any fresh air coming out the vents. My preference would be an ECO mode on the HVAC system that prevents the heat pump/ac compressor from running and just allows ambient outside air to flow in. Maybe that’s what this range optimiser will essentially be doing...the heat pump probably also runs at times to heat or cool the batteries as necessary...but I assume turning on the range assistant wouldn’t affect that. A smart ECO mode would utilise waste heat from the batteries and/or motors to heat if it was “free”, but not sure they are there yet! :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
There are a lot of times when it is in the high 40s to mid 60s and humid where you need air blowing over the windshield to keep it from fogging, but don't want or need heat. Turning the fan on will usually turn on heat. Maybe this will allow air flow without high energy consumption. My xc90 has the heated windshield. Unfortunately that isn't an option on the P8.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
[edited to add battery SOC]

I drove for almost half an hour tonight at 70 MPH. A/C set to 72 degrees. Outside temp about 77 degrees. Battery was between 20% and 30%. I tried turning on the range optimizer. Neither my wife nor I could tell any difference.

Perhaps in the winter it would limit the climate system to the heat pump and avoid the heater? I dunno.

·
Registered
321 Posts
@DudeDad Oof. I forgot to include the battery SOC. It was 20-30% during the run. I edited the original post.
Maybe it is just a place holder for a future option - but does not actually work right now - just like the Auto close for the sunroof curtain that does not work/close yet if left open.

·
Registered
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
225 Posts
congrats on being one of the lucky 100 who received the version 1.7 OTA update.👍🏻

·
Registered
56 Posts
Maybe it is just a place holder for a future option - but does not actually work right now - just like the Auto close for the sunroof curtain that does not work/close yet if left open.
Mine closes sometimes. Inconsistent. With Sensus, you could have it close when it got too warm in the car - very nice feature if parked outside.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
149 Posts
congrats on being one of the lucky 100 who received the version 1.7 OTA update.👍🏻
As far as I know, nobody in the US has received version 1.7 via OTA.
My interpretation of the CS response concerning the 100 was for the previous 1.6 (August update).

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 20", Heat Pump.
45 Posts
mine closes if it gets warm, think they said 27c
Same - close right up if it is hot. 80F seems right. Takes a while before it does it though - like 15 minutes. It's like a watched pot, it never boils. As soon as I look away, it closes.

Reactions: Gaffaa

·
Registered
2021 P8
28 Posts
Mine closes when it gets hot in the car... but bought it end of August, so maybe that was already fixed in a software update by that time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts