Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took mine for its first decent run on the open road to go shopping. Trip was 300km. On the first half of the trip it used down to 56% from 100%. While at the shopping centre put 12% of free power in. Then drove back.
Temperature was around 17-24c, no aircon on the way down, running aircon on the way back. The car has 20" wheels
Average speed was 82 kph and consumption was 24.2 kwh / 100 km which would give a range of 310 km. Is this normal?

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
106 Posts
Just took mine for its first decent run on the open road to go shopping. Trip was 300km. On the first half of the trip it used down to 56% from 100%. While at the shopping centre put 12% of free power in. Then drove back.
Temperature was around 17-24c, no aircon on the way down, running aircon on the way back. The car has 20" wheels
Average speed was 82 kph and consumption was 24.2 kwh / 100 km which would give a range of 310 km. Is this normal?
That sounds pretty close to our experience. We’ve averaged 23.4 kWh/100 km overall in the 593 km we’ve driven so far. We haven’t used the AC...I’m sure the heat has kicked in as it’s been pretty cool in VIC. Sometimes we run with the HVAC system “off”. Our average speed for most trips has been in the 65-70 kph range, but some driving has been done at 110 kph and a bit around town. Mostly rural roads with 80-100 kph speed limits. I should also note that most of our driving has been very conservative - just set the cruise control at the speed limit and let it do its thing. I did put my foot down once to overtake a B-double and got up to 1xx kph in no time flat (that probably hurt the range a bit) and I also dusted a Holden Ute at the lights one day but he was asleep at the wheel (I just did it as my lane ended after the lights, and I floored it but only got up to 60 kph - in about 1.5 seconds LOL!) Would be nice if the range/usage improves a bit when we get the V1.7 software. Given all the cars in Australia have the 20-inch wheels, I think our range will suffer a bit as they’re not as good as the 19s when it comes to range, but ****, they look good! :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds pretty close to our experience. We’ve averaged 23.4 kWh/100 km overall in the 593 km we’ve driven so far. We haven’t used the AC...I’m sure the heat has kicked in as it’s been pretty cool in VIC. Sometimes we run with the HVAC system “off”. Our average speed for most trips has been in the 65-70 kph range, but some driving has been done at 110 kph and a bit around town. Mostly rural roads with 80-100 kph speed limits. I should also note that most of our driving has been very conservative - just set the cruise control at the speed limit and let it do its thing. I did put my foot down once to overtake a B-double and got up to 1xx kph in no time flat (that probably hurt the range a bit) and I also dusted a Holden Ute at the lights one day but he was asleep at the wheel (I just did it as my lane ended after the lights, and I floored it but only got up to 60 kph - in about 1.5 seconds LOL!) Would be nice if the range/usage improves a bit when we get the V1.7 software. Given all the cars in Australia have the 20-inch wheels, I think our range will suffer a bit as they’re not as good as the 19s when it comes to range, but ****, they look good! :)
Its the first comment that people make when they see the car, not sure if they stand our more because of the black white on the car. They love the wheels. Have taken to using the speed limiter around town because it is too easy to speed. Will charge the car up on cheap off peak and see what this week brings.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Its the first comment that people make when they see the car, not sure if they stand our more because of the black white on the car. They love the wheels. Have taken to using the speed limiter around town because it is too easy to speed. Will charge the car up on cheap off peak and see what this week brings.
Nice! What do you mean the “speed limiter”? Is that the same as cruise control without the “pilot assist” adaptive feature (following car in front) turned on? IIRC the cruise control setting in the menu shows “speed limiter” and “pilot assist”...We always use the “pilot assist” adaptive cruise control as that way when you come up on a slower car, your car slows down to match its speed, which is extremely handy due to the way people drive LOL! We don’t usually use the steering assist as it doesn’t really work that great on the curvy secondary roads around here.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sorry looks like speed limiter is something we haven’t tried yet...I now get how it works (you set a speed and it keeps you from exceeding it)...but not sure how you would easily toggle between that and cruise control (which is what we use for 99% of driving) as it seems to be in the menus and it looks like you either have speed limiter turned on or cruise control turned on.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice! What do you mean the “speed limiter”? Is that the same as cruise control without the “pilot assist” adaptive feature (following car in front) turned on? IIRC the cruise control setting in the menu shows “speed limiter” and “pilot assist”...We always use the “pilot assist” adaptive cruise control as that way when you come up on a slower car, your car slows down to match its speed, which is extremely handy due to the way people drive LOL! We don’t usually use the steering assist as it doesn’t really work that great on the curvy secondary roads around here.
found the steering assist works well as long as the outside edge of the road is marked though takes abit to get use to. The speed limiter needs to be selected off the menu and when you start driving you need to turn it on the same way you would turn on cruise control. It will put the current speed limit up in the centre of the dash and hold you too it. If you suddenly need to brake that speed just floor the pedal and you can go through the speed limit. I find it very good around town though you have to remember to turn on the cruise control on the steering wheel each time you drive.

·
Registered
106 Posts
found the steering assist works well as long as the outside edge of the road is marked though takes abit to get use to. The speed limiter needs to be selected off the menu and when you start driving you need to turn it on the same way you would turn on cruise control. It will put the current speed limit up in the centre of the dash and hold you too it. If you suddenly need to brake that speed just floor the pedal and you can go through the speed limit. I find it very good around town though you have to remember to turn on the cruise control on the steering wheel each time you drive.
OK we’ll have to experiment with it! Yeah the steering assist is pretty good but sometimes it seems to veer too close to the line on curves, so you have to add quite a bit of input to correct...I’m sure we’ll use it more when we get on the freeway for those longer boring drives!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I have a Question :)

You said from 100% to 46 first leg. Did you charge it to 100% most folks only go to 90 unless it’s a desperation long stretch of a journey.

I consider the normal max range to be from 90% to 15%. You can go outside these if needed but usually I stay between the two. Under 10% you get less power to the motors and maybe lower battery life(not sure though). Over 90% is meant to lower battery life.

Also charging to over 90% on fast chargers is slow.

Does ABRP work down under?

·
Registered
106 Posts

You said from 100% to 46 first leg. Did you charge it to 100% most folks only go to 90 unless it’s a desperation long stretch of a journey.

I consider the normal max range to be from 90% to 15%. You can go outside these if needed but usually I stay between the two. Under 10% you get less power to the motors and maybe lower battery life(not sure though). Over 90% is meant to lower battery life.

ABRP works for Australia...at least on the phones, iPad and PC. Haven’t used it since we got the car though as we’ve just been using the Google Maps on the car for the most part. It seems to be incredibly accurate at predicting the SOC at the destination! We did use ABRP when we were looking at comparing the Tesla Model 3 SR+ to the XC40 before we bought, and came to the conclusion that the range is the same (the XC40 uses a lot more energy but it compensates with a lot larger battery!)

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I used ABRP for a 1200 mile journey. Took all the stress out. :). And yes google maps is surprisingly accurate especially as it knows how you drive (speed consumption). Hopefully it never tells anyone.

Joke
Do you know why we pulled you over?
No I was not speeding (due to radar detector)

No but your google app chatted with our police computer and you have been a very naughty boy.
End joke

What’s the speed limit on those big empty looking roads in Australia?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

given I was doing over 300 km on my first long trip and not sure about the 2 AC free chargers at the shopping centre wanted to make sure I wasnt depending on them to get home so I made sure it was 100% in the morning. Normal only set it to 90%, Was 100% to 54% on the first leg (used 46%) would have been enough to get back but cutting it too close for my comfort as I get use to the car. Over 100km of that drive home is basically bush. This is a learning curve. Charging the car back to 90% using off peak power over night at home now.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used ABRP for a 1200 mile journey. Took all the stress out. :). And yes google maps is surprisingly accurate especially as it knows how you drive (speed consumption). Hopefully it never tells anyone.

Joke
Do you know why we pulled you over?
No I was not speeding (due to radar detector)

No but your google app chatted with our police computer and you have been a very naughty boy.
End joke

What’s the speed limit on those big empty looking roads in Australia?
in the Northern Terrority there are still some unlimited stretched, rest of the country even if there is nothing for 100's of KM its still 110 kph

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
It is certainly a learning curve. Looking back there was range anxiety when I first got the car now I feel comfy if the car has over 30% charge :) but I also live in a well charger stationed city.

Glad to see evs making in roads in so many counties.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is certainly a learning curve. Looking back there was range anxiety when I first got the car now I feel comfy if the car has over 30% charge :) but I also live in a well charger stationed city.

Glad to see evs making in roads in so many counties.
by the time I got home I was down to 22% charge and that was after getting 12% at the shopping centre, I was only charging for 45 mins at 11kw's so would have been 10% and a very nervous stretch home for the last stretch. Next time will have the wife with me so the shopping will take a lot longer!!!!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
by the time I got home I was down to 22% charge and that was after getting 12% at the shopping centre, I was only charging for 45 mins at 11kw's so would have been 10% and a very nervous stretch home for the last stretch. Next time will have the wife with me so the shopping will take a lot longer!!!!
And soon even with out a charge you will feel fully comfortable getting home with 12% left.

Our minds are eminently adaptable. :)

That said. Drive your P8 for 3 months then try an ice vehicle. It is horrible!!!!

“Going to have to admit It I’m addicted to swoosh”

Reactions: Gaffaa

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And soon even with out a charge you will feel fully comfortable getting home with 12% left.

Our minds are eminently adaptable. :)

That said. Drive your P8 for 3 months then try an ice vehicle. It is horrible!!!!

“Going to have to admit It I’m addicted to swoosh”
I took a friend out for a drive who has a nice V8 and joke that mine was faster, I stopped and asked if he was ready and asked if he had any loose teeth then accelerated, he still had the smile on his face when i dropped him back off at work. He was amased by the swoosh as we listened to the stereo :) But also impressed by the total package and quality

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I am endlessly amused by how much swoosh this tinny suv has. Nobody expects it at the lights. And with the all wheel drive and ev tires you get more acceleration without any traction loss with new tires and good conditions :)

Swoosh weeeererrr

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Ha no one knows what the car is capable of. Some guy in a dated Lexus thought he was going to make an illegal pass around me today and I just leaned into the pedal and he disappeared into my rear view mirror. He must have thought it was a mistake and tried again and I again just leaned in and all he saw was taillights. He was so irritated. I was laughing.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 20", Heat Pump.
47 Posts
I am so much more aggressive at stoplights. Every one is a drag race. I need to settle down. Merging on to the highway, pulling away from toll booths, and passing on small back roads have become giant smile generating events. every time.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts