Volvo XC40 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
That would make sense. And give you a visual of the backup chargers in case the planned one is not working / full / etc

·
Registered
350 Posts
Stephen I think you’re right on the “grey” that there ARE charges but no stop scheduled. Then When I inserted a round trip, it turn RED, and was showing me the charger location, type of charges, rates etc. So I think the logic is, its grey because from A to B there still est. 36% battery left (assuming starting at 90%) BUT when you insert yet another location C (in this case I did a round trip back to home base as C), there won’t be another battery to head back to C therefore the grey charges before turned RED to show est. charge time, where, etc

So now the question is how to activate the “Grey” once’s if you want to charge the car ANYWAY !
hhmm.....

·
Registered
571 Posts
Imagine the future where there are enough lvl 3 chargers to not have to plan the trip. . .

I cannot wait. Wait nope I can wait because I have to wait :)

Still it is kinda of an adventure now and we do have tow to charging as a free back up :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Imagine the future where there are enough lvl 3 chargers to not have to plan the trip. . .

I cannot wait. Wait nope I can wait because I have to wait :)

Still it is kinda of an adventure now and we do have tow to charging as a free back up :)
I don’t see that for at least another 10 years and maybe more, except in the EV states.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Wa state is a “ev confused state” they actually tax us more on Evs vs ice but there are also buying rebates for cheaper Evs.

And yeah I think you are right that this will be a state by state affair and a good reason to avoid road trips to some states.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't see this as the future.

Even if there were a plethora of fast chargers you still have to deal with preconditioning the battery prior to arrival. There is also the issue or feature of being able to reserve a charger based on your arrival so you may charge earlier to avoid congestion.

In addition if range continues to grow then the need for stops would be reduced with a trade-off of longer stops. Planning stops at an attraction or lunch counter will be important.

So, for me, a reservation system and dynamically adjusted routing based on occupancy would be the ideal next step.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Responding to Vatorney3: Yes there are some discounts in DC/MD/VA. I found a $2400 discount at Younger Volvo in Hagerstown. 52 mile drive (from Bethesda) last month to purchase, but I could not get any closer dealers to even discuss discounts. I just got run around about there being no more Recharges in 2021 from one dealer. And my nearest dealer started out by saying they had none (but let me test-drive) and when I would not order a future car, they “found” two cars on their lot which were ordered a year ago but the buyers gave up on.

So there are deals around DC, but you have to be persistent.

Oh and to keep this relevant to range/consumption, I had my worst consumption today. 40 miles driving with 5 adults in the car in DC urban driving: 47 kWh/100m. Outside temp was between 94 and 99 ° and kept temp at 72 inside using heat pump. Suggests I might only have 160 miles of range, or rather 143 miles of range as I am only charging to 90%.

·
Registered
571 Posts
What should we be doing to “precondition” the battery before charging.

I understand it needs to be at the correct temperature.

How do we facilitate this. Is there a “I intend to charge soon” option I missed?

Is there anywhere we can monitor the temperature so we can drive around before to manually get it there?

I had hoped we could see more of the internal sensor data but I have not found a way without jail breaking the car.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't know that the P8 doors this, Teslas do automatically based on the in car route plan. It speeds up charging which is a benefit for all chargers so I assume it will become commonplace in the future.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Ugh so I have been doing it wrong just driving to a charging station from memory.

To confirm If I google an ev station and then drive there using google maps set destination to the ev station it will precondition?

Is this something “we know” happens or something we have proof it actually happens.

Perhaps identical pre charge levels, same external temperatures giving us a better charge rate?

Still we do not have any real data on how much the heat pump works on our P8s so I am guessing we do not have data on preconditioning :(

That said I will from now google and trip plan to ev charging from now on just in case it helps :)

Thank you for the information Stephen. Please do not take my skepticism on how things are implemented as any reflection on not being delighted in finding out about preconditioning and how to trigger it.

Cheers :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Wa state is a “ev confused state” they actually tax us more on Evs vs ice but there are also buying rebates for cheaper Evs.

And yeah I think you are right that this will be a state by state affair and a good reason to avoid road trips to some states.
A lot of states are starting to do this as they wake up to the fact they lose gas tax revenue with EV owners.

·
Registered
571 Posts
It makes sense and hinestly I am okay with it. I would be delighted if the roads were not pot holed death traps :)

Okay that’s an exaggeration but they are not doing great.

·
Registered
289 Posts
It makes sense and hinestly I am okay with it. I would be delighted if the roads were not pot holed death traps :)

Okay that’s an exaggeration but they are not doing great.
The P8 rides heavy and I can't imagine how someone in say NYC could live with this car as on rough roads you can feel the way the car struggles to smooth that out as best as possible. The driving dynamic between the P8 and my wife's T5 are like 2 different cars.

·
Registered
571 Posts
It’s does not feel that bad to me but the small difference from 20 to 19 makes a difference I recon.

I still need to meet up with the other Seattle chap for our driving test.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I ordered mine specifically to get the 19s. Reviews from Europe were saying the 20s were a hard ride plus a small improvement in water removal and snow for a given tire type.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Unfortunately no ordering at this point and whatever dealers have is it for some time. Maybe when it needs its first tires I may consider swapping the wheels out.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I did not realize they had stopped taking orders.
A shame they are so obsessed with 20s and there color selection if you are not ordering seems very limited. Wife(2) really wanted the red we got. :)

I think the 20s came with more expensive tires. 19s came with the continental pro contacts.

·
Registered
91 Posts
This is a repost from a previous posting. Remember, the numbers posted are a ratio. A 20 does not mean one more inch of sidewall....the number is a size/width aspect.

The actual amount is only 0.5 inches.

Ride quality is so subjective that I would need a person in the drivers seat to that had no idea what he/she was driving to be able to tell the difference. I have heard people describe the rides as harsh/hard and then floating and soft for the same setup.

A recent review of car stabilizer bars found glowing reviews. But, when the drivers had no idea which car had the stabilizer bar, they couldn't tell the difference.

The math is:

Tire height is a ratio of tire size/aspect and width. It is not listed on the sidewall.
A 19 inch wheel does not have one more inch of rubber. It has 0.5 inches.

The 20 inch tires are :
255/40/20
The tire height sidewall measures 4.0 inches

The 19 inch tires are
255//45/19
The tire height on the sidewall is 4.5inches

Overall tire height is identical at 28 inches. Tire sidewall measurement is an actual ration of width and wheel size, the wider tires on the 20 inch option does not significantly effect the tire sidewall height.
tire 2.jpg

tire.jpg

Tire ride improvement from 0.5inches of change in sidewall height is hard to understand.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Why is it hard to understand?

0.5 inches is a 12.5% increase in sidewall.

12.5% in any other metric of a car would certainly be noticeable.

I agree ride is subjective and I subjectively prefer my 19 inches :)

81 - 100 of 108 Posts