Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, I leave the infotainment on the radio, which is playing when I exit the car and it shut down when I lock the car. Every time I get back in I have to hit the big play button to play the radio. Every car I have had whatever you had on when you shut the car is what plays when you start the car. Am I missing something? The wife’s T5 acts as expected, plays automatically.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Just curious, I leave the infotainment on the radio, which is playing when I exit the car and it shut down when I lock the car. Every time I get back in I have to hit the big play button to play the radio. Every car I have had whatever you had on when you shut the car is what plays when you start the car. Am I missing something? The wife’s T5 acts as expected, plays automatically.
Yes same - seems to be the way it works for some reason.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree with you that the same audio state when the vehicle was turned off should be recalled upon starting it back up. Although, if they have to default it one way or another, it's better to keep it paused. I'll tell you a story in another car where I was blasting music with the windows open while driving down the highway and I paused it at some point before reaching home. The next tranquil morning, I nearly had a heart attack while backing out of my driveway when the music all of a sudden started playing again. :mad: That car always defaulted to resume music even when it was paused upon shutdown.

Now the strange part that I've noticed with my XC40, is that when streaming audio over bluetooth, it does the same thing as my old car - resumes automatically even when it was paused beforehand. That's the opposite behavior that you describe with the radio.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Now the strange part that I've noticed with my XC40, is that when streaming audio over bluetooth, it does the same thing as my old car - resumes automatically even when it was paused beforehand. That's the opposite behavior that you describe with the radio.
I noticed the same thing and wondered too. Although if I close my phone's app that has BT media, then it doesn't start up again anyway.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Given that the car is always 'on', and the functions activate as soon as you sit inside, I actually think it's alright to have music paused, particularly to give the LTE modem a chance to get a signal and connect to the streaming service.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I noticed the same thing and wondered too. Although if I close my phone's app that has BT media, then it doesn't start up again anyway.
Yeah that is annoying as well, have to drill back into and select the proper media player (PowerAmp) and then have to pick shuffle again so not picking up where I left off. I get more frustrated with how unpolished this system is. Android Automotive may be the future, but any other brand that adopts it in this states is suicidal. At least one could argue that Polestar and the XC40 are marketed to a customer that may be more tolerant of this garbage.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yeah that is annoying as well, have to drill back into and select the proper media player (PowerAmp) and then have to pick shuffle again so not picking up where I left off. I get more frustrated with how unpolished this system is. Android Automotive may be the future, but any other brand that adopts it in this states is suicidal. At least one could argue that Polestar and the XC40 are marketed to a customer that may be more tolerant of this garbage.
Well, that's the nature of BT media, I think? It was always that way for me with my other cars. On a side note, I really hope they get some kind of player working with media on USB. All my favorite music is on a tiny USB key I had in my 4Runner. My phone has it all too but so much easier to just pick something off the screen and play it.

I have visions of writing a pair of Android apps - one for the car which provides a player-like interface for the music, and one for the phone which serves up files from the phone, over bluetooth. Alas, I have a bazillion other projects (and work) which makes it harder to want to dig in. And I don't know how much pain I'd have to go through to get developer access to add apps to the app store for AAOS. "One of these days!"

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So on my other cars when BT connected the phone launches PowerAmp and is right where it was when it was closed, even when forced closed. Thus when I select BT in infotainment PowerAmp just plays. I guess the deeper integration with the paired phone is a problem and benefit.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Are you sure it's forced closed? It may still be running in the background. (I say this from having developed in Android from time to time.)

I'm not at all disputing what you say, I'm just wondering how it's doing this from an app standpoint. In my experience, unless a BT-supporting app is started on the phone, something on the other side of a BT link can't launch it. That could/would be a security nightmare if some passerby could invoke BT apps on your phone without your intent.

Just musing, though. It's been awhile since I did android and I never worked with BT.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will check, but I use Bluetooth Connect app that detects the BT connect and disconnect and starts or ends the app.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts