Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have a problem with the nubuck seats getting really hot? It doesn't happen all the time, appears randomly. Most noticeable on days above 65 F. Passengers (front and rear) have experienced it too. Service dept had the car for more than a week, confirmed that the heated seats weren't malfunctioning and claimed the material was performing within normal specs. They suggested I call Volvo customer service. Volvo said to talk to the dealer. Love the car, but when it heats up it becomes almost unbearable to drive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Trying to understand- are you saying that the seat becomes warm to the touch? Or that it doesn’t breath well and is uncomfortable to sit in?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The seat becomes warm to the touch. It feels as if the heated seats are on, but there's no indication that they are. I asked to service department to disconnect the seat heaters and was told that couldn't be done without impacting some of the seats' safety features. Everything I've read about the nubuck says it's more comfortable in hot or cold weather than leather. My previous cars had black leather seats, never experienced anything like this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does anyone else have a problem with the nubuck seats getting really hot? It doesn't happen all the time, appears randomly. Most noticeable on days above 65 F. Passengers (front and rear) have experienced it too. Service dept had the car for more than a week, confirmed that the heated seats weren't malfunctioning and claimed the material was performing within normal specs. They suggested I call Volvo customer service. Volvo said to talk to the dealer. Love the car, but when it heats up it becomes almost unbearable to drive.
I noticed that also. I thought it was just me.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Have you tried actually turning on the heat at 3 or 4 bars and see if it feels any different? If it doesn't then clearly the heater is on. Then after it is on, try to reduce the bars until 1 see if the warmth dissipate. Then finally turn it off to see if you can feel any difference at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you tried actually turning on the heat at 3 or 4 bars and see if it feels any different? If it doesn't then clearly the heater is on. Then after it is on, try to reduce the bars until 1 see if the warmth dissipate. Then finally turn it off to see if you can feel any difference at all.
That's a good suggestion, I'll try it the next time it happens.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have R-design with the nubuck/suede seat inserts and I find them very uncomfortable in hot weather. I totally understand how the OP feels. Looking forward to Fall. I assume the designers in Sweden don't experience the hot and muggy summers of the Eastern US. Not sure if I really want to deal with these seats through another summer...

·
Registered
52 Posts
We have a R-Design too and it was the first thing I have noticed when we test drove the car. It feels hotter than regular seats. We are used to cars with black leather seats. These don't "burn" you like the black leather when the car was all day in the sun, but they do feel "warmer" than regular leather seats in general and even my work van's cloth seats. The summer is almost over here in SoCal and it is only, yes I know only, about 100 degrees by us now, Time will tell next year in the middle of summer how hot they will be. I am sure they will feel very nice in the snow. Can't wait to see how that will be.

·
Registered
2020 XC40 T5/R-Design/AWD/Polestar Engineered/Black on Black
17 Posts
My R Design also has Black nubuck. Here in south Florida, very mucho stinking hot weather and the seats never get as hot as typical leather. I do miss ventilated seats, though. I thought I might have been imagining that they feel warmer. They’re definitely more comfy when first getting into after baking in the sun, though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts