Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, new XC40 Recharge driver here…. I noticed the frunk latch on my vehicle does not appear to be engaging when closing the frunk lid. I assume the latch should engage and keep the lid securely closed, but mine just kind of free floats and doesn’t engage/click shut. I tried pressing the lid down super hard, holding the latch handle up then pressing the frunk lid down and then releasing the latch handle to see if it will engage, but nothing. Not sure if this is adjustable by the dealer or if anyone else has encountered this issue and a possible fix? It almost seems like the frunk seal is too thick and not allowing the lid to fully close and engage the latch catches on the inside.

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
124 Posts
Hi Everyone, new XC40 Recharge driver here…. I noticed the frunk latch on my vehicle does not appear to be engaging when closing the frunk lid. I assume the latch should engage and keep the lid securely closed, but mine just kind of free floats and doesn’t engage/click shut. I tried pressing the lid down super hard, holding the latch handle up then pressing the frunk lid down and then releasing the latch handle to see if it will engage, but nothing. Not sure if this is adjustable by the dealer or if anyone else has encountered this issue and a possible fix? It almost seems like the frunk seal is too thick and not allowing the lid to fully close and engage the latch catches on the inside.
If you know for sure you closed and fully latched it but yet one side or the other seems a bit loose, it could be the rubber bumper stops that are on each side. They do screw up and down to adjust.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The manual does say to push down on both sides, sort of above each headlight, to close it, and it's easy to not get it to catch if you don't push down both sides at the same time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
New member here and joined to reply to this.

I had to take my vehicle in for this issue (it was on the passenger side, for what it's worth). They told me they figured out that sometimes if you "weak-arm" it when closing the hood, it can trigger the latch engagement before the hood fully seats into the receiver. It is apparently tricky to release the latch internally once this happens. I don't know how they got it released so appreciate if the OP replies if you go in and they show you how to do this.

So far I've been successful holding the hood about 12 in/30 cm above the closed position and giving it a little extra on the way down...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you know for sure you closed and fully latched it but yet one side or the other seems a bit loose, it could be the rubber bumper stops that are on each side. They do screw up and down to adjust.
I’ll take a look and see if I can adjust it myself and report back. If not, I’ll take to the dealer to see if they can adjust. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New member here and joined to reply to this.

I had to take my vehicle in for this issue (it was on the passenger side, for what it's worth). They told me they figured out that sometimes if you "weak-arm" it when closing the hood, it can trigger the latch engagement before the hood fully seats into the receiver. It is apparently tricky to release the latch internally once this happens. I don't know how they got it released so appreciate if the OP replies if you go in and they show you how to do this.

So far I've been successful holding the hood about 12 in/30 cm above the closed position and giving it a little extra on the way down...
I’m actually referring to the “frunk” the small compartment under the hood (front trunk=frunk) that will not close fully and engage the latch catches. No problem closing the hood for me, just worried that the frunk, if not fully closed and latched could have water seep in during wet driving conditions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The manual does say to push down on both sides, sort of above each headlight, to close it, and it's easy to not get it to catch if you don't push down both sides at the same time.
This is the ”frunk” (front trunk) I’m talking about, not the actual hood, but appreciate the response. The frunk is the small oval compartment found under the hood.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I’m actually referring to the “frunk” the small compartment under the hood (front trunk=frunk) that will not close fully and engage the latch catches. No problem closing the hood for me, just worried that the frunk, if not fully closed and latched could have water seep in during wet driving conditions.
Sorry I misunderstood. Yes, it should latch, and you're right that it does seem like that seal gives an unusually tight fit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts