Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife got paged to the hospital last night and car showed error code: 'Slow Down, Propulsion system failure.' Managed to get it to buck and jerk far enough to get my truck out. Error changed to Propulsion System service required. That error code stayed for 7hrs and has now disappeared. Volvo on call told me to get it towed for service.

Anyone else have this problem after the last update?

My wife is on call with her job (needs to be at hospital in under 30min) and we are really second guessing our choice with the car.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Wife got paged to the hospital last night and car showed error code: 'Slow Down, Propulsion system failure.' Managed to get it to buck and jerk far enough to get my truck out. Error changed to Propulsion System service required. That error code stayed for 7hrs and has now disappeared. Volvo on call told me to get it towed for service.

My wife is on call with her job (needs to be at hospital in under 30min) and we are really second guessing our choice with the car.
We have the same stipulation in our household. And we live right at the 30 minute mark away from his hospital. I told him if he ever goes to start the car and it doesn’t work, then just take my car instead. I can miss work.

What scares me about this propulsion thing though is if happens on his commute. I-95 through a perpetual construction zone with nowhere to pull off and maniacal driving.

Someone posted something about a fault in their battery control unit relating to this issue. On the invoice it specified that the BDU (I think stands for battery disconnect unit) was replaced. I do wonder if that’s where the a hardware flaw lurks. Others have mentioned just ahaving the 12V battery replaced and software update.

Reactions: BigVikC40Dadda

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have the same stipulation in our household. And we live right at the 30 minute mark away from his hospital. I told him if he ever goes to start the car and it doesn’t work, they just take my car instead. I can miss work.

What scares me about this propulsion thing though is if happens on his commute. I-95 through a perpetual construction zone with nowhere to pull off and maniacal driving.

Someone posted something about a fault in their battery control unit relating to this issue. On the invoice it specified that the BDU (I think stands for battery disconnect unit) was replaced. I do wonder if that’s where the a hardware flaw lurks. Others have mentioned just ahaving the 12V battery replaced and software update.
Thanks for the info. I will bring it up with the dealer when they can see us. I told my wife the same thing about taking my truck. The only problem is the narrow driveway and the getting around the shiny volvo brick sitting there.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The good (bad) news is that this is also impacting Volvo's much higher volume Recharge hybrid vehicles like their XC60s and XC90s (there's a lengthy thread over on SwedeSpeed about it). So they'll be really feeling the heat to figure this out.

God help someone who gets knocked into turtle mode on a busy highway.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Exact same thing happened to me. The first time was the day after I picked up the car and it was then in the shop for 2 months having the motor replaced. Then last week same warning same bucking and jerking, then changed to Propulsion system service then went away and I haven't seen it since. I'm taking it to the dealer to see what to do about it and I hope it won't be another 2 months.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I think the Propulsion System Failure message is a catch all for several things, hardware & software. For example, a problem with the heat pump used for cooling/heating the battery could trigger the failure message, it's not limited to just the battery/electric motors control electronics. Some folks have reported seeing the message, then after 24 hours it goes away and never comes back. In any case, it's still unnerving, having a car that you suspect is unreliable is never fun . . .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The message has disappeared, but the radio no longer works. GPS works fine. Just no sound from the audio system. Spotify will show a song playing, but no sound with it. Same for radio stations.

Still waiting on the dealership to give me a time to bring it in. This is our first experience dealing with Volvo service, so far its not looking so great.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The message has disappeared, but the radio no longer works. GPS works fine. Just no sound from the audio system. Spotify will show a song playing, but no sound with it. Same for radio stations.

Still waiting on the dealership to give me a time to bring it in. This is our first experience dealing with Volvo service, so far its not looking so great.
Try switching user profiles, it should bring the sound back (don’t ask)

·
Registered
2 Posts

I purchased a 2022 XC40 Recharge in June. After 1000 miles on this brand, spanking new car, I got a Propulsion System Failure message, called the dealer and was told to immediately bring the car in or have it towed. That was now more than three weeks ago. My "service advisor" has told me the car has a defective Battery Disconnect Unit (BDU), that the part has been ordered, and that, no, she cannot give me any solid ETA on its arrival but that they hoped it would arrive by September. The service advisor has been very, very difficult to reach. She did tell me "quite a new customers" were bringing in Recharges with the same problem. She said there was not yet a recall for defective BDUs.

Anyone else diagnosed with a defect BDU after a Propulsion System Failure message/

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I purchased a 2022 XC40 Recharge in June. After 1000 miles on this brand, spanking new car, I got a Propulsion System Failure message, called the dealer and was told to immediately bring the car in or have it towed. That was now more than three weeks ago. My "service advisor" has told me the car has a defective Battery Disconnect Unit (BDU), that the part has been ordered, and that, no, she cannot give me any solid ETA on its arrival but that they hoped it would arrive by September. The service advisor has been very, very difficult to reach. She did tell me "quite a new customers" were bringing in Recharges with the same problem. She said there was not yet a recall for defective BDUs.

Anyone else diagnosed with a defect BDU after a Propulsion System Failure message/
Thankfully ours was simply software. Have they had your car for three weeks?

A silver lining; if they have had your car for this long, you missed the Original 2.3 Update, which has created a whole mess of new problems.

Best of luck on a speedy part replacement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thankfully ours was simply software. Have they had your car for three weeks?

A silver lining; if they have had your car for this long, you missed the Original 2.3 Update, which has created a whole mess of new problems.

Best of luck on a speedy part replacement.
Three weeks and a day. I just got off the phone with Volvo North America Customer Service. I hold out no hope of an expedited delivery. Despite the issues, I can't wait for the 2.3 Update. It'll mean I have my car back.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Three weeks and a day. I just got off the phone with Volvo North America Customer Service. I hold out no hope of an expedited delivery. Despite the issues, I can't wait for the 2.3 Update. It'll mean I have my car back.
Mine took 2 months to the day to fix and after 2 weeks had yo go back to the dealership for… you guessed it “Propulsion System Service” it is still there now.

·
Registered
'22 XC40 Pure Elec. Ultimate
144 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts