Volvo XC40 Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Looks to me like Volvo technical information, diagnostic data access, and parts ordering is available to any repair shop - or even DIY consumers - at least here in the US. Even "dealer-only" software updates. Not free, but open to anyone who wants to subscribe to these services:

Volvo Car Bookstore (volvotechinfo.com)
Yes, the service manuals are available, but the dealership gets them first and for free. Also, some vehicles require specialized tools. It often becomes cost prohibitive for independent repair shops to perform some fixes.

"Dealer service departments have access to an array of specialized tools and service bulletins, and are usually the first to get them, but independent shops can acquire them if they can foot the bill."

·
Registered
Late 2022 XC40 Recharge Ultimate Sage Green
11 Posts
Drove my ‘22 to the grocery store this morning, no issues. When I got back in it, I got the “Propulsion system failure” message. Due to my location, I decided to turn the hazards on and drive it to the nearest dealer (10 miles). From the service advisor’s reaction, they haven’t dealt with a lot of these.

While I was prepared for this failure, based on the stories here, it’s still disappointing. 1100 miles and just shy of 2 months with no prior issues.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Drove my ‘22 to the grocery store this morning, no issues. When I got back in it, I got the “Propulsion system failure” message. Due to my location, I decided to turn the hazards on and drive it to the nearest dealer (10 miles). From the service advisor’s reaction, they haven’t dealt with a lot of these.

While I was prepared for this failure, based on the stories here, it’s still disappointing. 1100 miles and just shy of 2 months with no prior issues.
Sorry this happened.

A question. Has the Weather got warmer? Wondering if your having a cooling issue.

Hopefully it is just a sensor or a software reset and nothing more serious. The fact of their reaction is sounds like they are starting from scratch.

Did you provide them with a list from here of known causes and solutions?

·
Registered
Being Repaired 2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
515 Posts
Sorry this happened.

A question. Has the Weather got warmer? Wondering if your having a cooling issue.

Hopefully it is just a sensor or a software reset and nothing more serious. The fact of their reaction is sounds like they are starting from scratch.

I was wandering too, if it is the weather or the super charging session prior my similar failure. By the way I hope my battery will arrive in July as these cannot be transported via air.
Anyway, each battery module sits on plate with running coolant inside. There are 27 modules in the battery pack. Because of the way the module is cooled I believe these battery cells are not emitting lots of heat when driving or charging. Otherwise every second XC40 will have some kind of HV battery failure. I really like how they are cooling the XC90 hybrid battery pack - cooling jacket on both sides of the battery module in direct contact with the cells. XC90 has different type of cells.
I do not believe it is weather related or due to overheating battery. It could be many things among 378 cells with all the sensors and cables. The most important - the battery is serviceable and repairable.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
I was wandering too, if it is the weather or the super charging session prior my similar failure. By the way I hope my battery will arrive in July as these cannot be transported via air.
Anyway, each battery module sits on plate with running coolant inside. There are 27 modules in the battery pack. Because of the way the module is cooled I believe these battery cells are not emitting lots of heat when driving or charging. Otherwise every second XC40 will have some kind of HV battery failure. I really like how they are cooling the XC90 hybrid battery pack - cooling jacket on both sides of the battery module in direct contact with the cells. XC90 has different type of cells.
I do not believe it is weather related or due to overheating battery. It could be many things among 378 cells with all the sensors and cables. The most important - the battery is serviceable and repairable.
Fast charging is the most overheating thing the car does. Someone else on here had an issue with the coats cooling system which caused this error for them. Add in an increase in external temp making the cooling system less efficient ….

Hopefully it is something “simple”

Makes me wonder if the more mechanically minded folks will ever repair these Dara at home or if the days of a parent teaching their child how to maintain the car is dead or will be soon ir maybe replaced with.

Son let me show you the 9 ways to reboot the car” not the same …

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry this happened.

I’m in Texas, so it has been in the upper 90s (35+ for the civilized) for the last month. I’ve noticed the cooling system cranking up after driving around in the heat of the day, but nothing more than that. If it had failed at one of those times, I would have made the connection to a coolant failure, but it was still early in the morning.

Based on the questions the service lead asked (did you update OTA recently, did it not charge last night, have you experienced charging issues, etc) it seemed like they were grasping at straws, but I could be wrong. Their initial estimate was 2-3 days, so hopefully they think it’s something minor. Their service schedule was booked through July on the app, so they seem slammed.

I didn’t offer up solutions from here yet because I wanted to see what they came back with on their own. If they call and seem utterly clueless, I’ll either suggest some issues or have them tow it to my purchasing dealer who also does Polestar, so they seem to have more tech investment from Volvo.

Update: Basically, the fact that this is a P8 requires attention from the shop foreman. They did an initial diagnostic and received a long list of communication issues. They’re also in direct contact with Volvo NA on the issue and the solve. According to the service advisor, they can’t even move forward on a fix without Volvo’s sign-off. They’re going to attempt software fixes later today.

·
Registered
11 Posts
6 days later, I have my vehicle back. The service advisor said they had to plug it into VIDA and open a ticket with the home office for remote diagnostics and software resets. After whenever they did, and a full charge, the car is driving normally. $194 USD for the trouble, paid by Volvo. Fingers crossed that’s it, and I don’t have to do this again in the coming weeks or months.

·
Registered
Being Repaired 2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
515 Posts
6 days later, I have my vehicle back. The service advisor said they had to plug it into VIDA and open a ticket with the home office for remote diagnostics and software resets. After whenever they did, and a full charge, the car is driving normally. $194 USD for the trouble, paid by Volvo. Fingers crossed that’s it, and I don’t have to do this again in the coming weeks or months.
Good job.
I am one month already without the car and counting. No news. If I do not have ETA this week or some info. Perhaps I will be the first person on the forum to initiate Canadian "lemon" law and see how it works. I hope it will not go there but all I need is ETA or timeframe.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts